Mock with major trade

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Because pick 48 is worth more than the pick being traded and even if you couldn't find a trade partner you would be getting a top 48 player this year but as I said before, if I was going to miss out on one of the 3 players I am targeting I would be willing to overpay a little. Let's say for example, the team we are negotiating with at pick 34 didn't want to make the trade despite it being fair value for both sides I would be willing to throw in another late round pick. Or maybe I would be willing to trade with the team picking at 35 even though we would lose a little value. I am pretty sure there would be a way to make it happen but even if for some reason no one wanted to trade even if we gave them a little extra value.

We still get a player at pick 48 this year and that would be a pretty good player.

What if Dak gets hurt and we have other major injuries, or Garrett loses the locker room and we are picking top 10. How much value did we get picking 48 this year vs top 10 next year.

I don't care how you want to twist it, it's a dumb idea.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
What if Dak gets hurt and we have other major injuries, or Garrett loses the locker room and we are picking top 10. How much value did we get picking 48 this year vs top 10 next year.

I don't care how you want to twist it, it's a dumb idea.

Here is a dumb idea for you.
Don't make a trade worth 90 points more than you are giving up on the chance that some catastrophic event happens.
Maybe the world comes to an end right before the 2020 draft. If that happens then we picked up pick 48 for free.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Whom do you pick, if the player you gave up a future 1st for is not there, its al lwel land good making trades hoping the player falls, there are however, 31 other teams in the NFL, what if one moves up and takes the player you want at 40-41, and then others go at 43 & 45, you have now given up a future 1st to be left with your 4th choice pick at #48, which if you had waited to see how the draft fell could have probably given up a lesser pick to move from 58 to 48.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Whom do you pick, if the player you gave up a future 1st for is not there, its al lwel land good making trades hoping the player falls, there are however, 31 other teams in the NFL, what if one moves up and takes the player you want at 40-41, and then others go at 43 & 45, you have now given up a future 1st to be left with your 4th choice pick at #48, which if you had waited to see how the draft fell could have probably given up a lesser pick to move from 58 to 48.

My point exactly, but we're missing the point I guess.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

You may want to read the entire thread.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
You may want to read the entire thread.

I did its a post based on a what if scenario, so my question is what if the player you want gets drafted as another team moves up and drafts or a team drafts him when on the clock, what happens then ? what happens if the players you want have been drafted, before Dallas are on the clock, what do you do?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I did its a post based on a what if scenario, so my question is what if the player you want gets drafted as another team moves up and drafts or a team drafts him when on the clock, what happens then ? what happens if the players you want have been drafted, before Dallas are on the clock, what do you do?

Had you read the thread you would know.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Had you read the thread you would know.

I did, but I think you are struggling to understand

Dallas then packages their newly acquired pick 48 with pick 90 to move up to pick 34. 560 points to 560

Pick 48 - Jeffrey Simmons - 3 Tech
pick 58 - Juan Thornhill - S

so you are moving from pick 48 & 90 to pick at 34, but your 1st pick is still at 48, you have made 2 trades and yet you are picking at 48? should this not be pick 34 ?

So in esscence you trade a future 1st for 2019 2nd at 48 (420) then trade picks 58 & 90 (360) to pick at 48? This means you have given up a 2020 1st to move from 58 to 48 a difference of 60 points. Thats one hell of a dumb trade to move up 10 spots for a 1st round pick.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
And again I put it you what happens if Simmons gets drafted early say pick 39, what happens if Thornhill gets drafted at 43, what happens if the 3rd player you had on your board went at 47. You whole premise is based on certain players being available what do you do if they are not.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I did, but I think you are struggling to understand

so you are moving from pick 48 & 90 to pick at 34, but your 1st pick is still at 48, you have made 2 trades and yet you are picking at 48? should this not be pick 34 ?

So in esscence you trade a future 1st for 2019 2nd at 48 (420) then trade picks 58 & 90 (360) to pick at 48? This means you have given up a 2020 1st to move from 58 to 48 a difference of 60 points. Thats one hell of a dumb trade to move up 10 spots for a 1st round pick.

Yes, it is pick 34. I did make a mistake there but it is clearly spelled out. I didn't trade pick 58 and 90 for pick 48. I didn't give up a 2020 1st to move from 58 to 48.

I traded a 2020 1st for 2019 pick 48. Then I traded pick 48 and 90 for pick 34.

I spelled it out completely throughout the thread but I did make a mistake on one line.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
And again I put it you what happens if Simmons gets drafted early say pick 39, what happens if Thornhill gets drafted at 43, what happens if the 3rd player you had on your board went at 47. You whole premise is based on certain players being available what do you do if they are not.

Read the thread. Is simmons my only target? Did you read it?

As far as the players in the later rounds being available or not. It is a mock draft. Just like any others based on projections of where players will go. The same as every other mock draft. I thought your problem was with the trade? Now you have a problem with the mock draft?

Last edited:

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Read the thread. Is simmons my only target? Did you read it?

As far as the players in the later rounds being available or not. It is a mock draft. Just like any others based on projections of where players will go. The same as every other mock draft. I thought your problem was with the trade? Now you have a problem with the mock draft?

You had 2-3 targets, you assume all 3 will be there, what's your alternative if they are not.

DanA

Reaction score
Trading 2020 1st rd pick to Miami for their second rd pick. Pick 48. This agreement is finalized the night before the draft.

The thought process for Miami. They are in tank mode for QB in 2020. The more capital they can get, the more ammo they have to get their guy.

The thought process for Dallas. Getting decent value for the trade. Pick up a mid round 2nd for a future 1st. And there are several players they want that they believe might be there in the early 2nd.

Dallas then packages their newly acquired pick 48 with pick 90 to move up to pick 34. 560 points to 560

Dallas then trades pick 128 and 136 for pick 106 82 points to 82 points.

Pick 106 - Dylan Mack - 1 Tech
Pick 165 - Tony Pollard - RB

Pick 241 - Dre Greenlaw - LB

Not having a 1st rd pick in 2020 would be tough but Jeffrey Simmons is the 3 tech we need. Dylan Mack next to him on the DL would be sick.

This would shore up the 3 biggest needs in my opinion. The DT's and Safety. Plus get our backup RB and the LB the team is searching for.

Drafting Jeffrey Simmons also helps with the cap as they can move on from Crawford or Collins in 2020. Whichever one is asking for more.

I don't like it for the following reasons:
1. I don't think Simmons is available at 34.
2. It's a pretty heavy price with a lot of unknowns
3. We lose the 5th-year option we'd get with a 2020 1st

IMO a better alternative:

Trade a 2020 5th for Gerald McCoy (costs 13m).
Cut Crawford now (saves 7m)
Total cost: 6m (2019)
Pick 90: Isaiah Johnson (CB)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There is just absolutely no way either team would do that before the draft, especially the Cowboys lol

Flamma

Reaction score
I hear you. Pick 48 is interesting enough since it is one ahead of Cle who is known to have interest in a specific player. (JS)

I would make the trade for 48 with Miami in the hopes of landing one of the 3 players targeted. Then wait until two of them go off the board and try to swing a deal then. Possibly even be willing to overpay to jump up and grab the last of the 3. Who knows? It's possible one of them lasts til 48. But even if we were to miss out on the 3 players being targeted due to not being able to find a trade partner Pick 48 is not a bad place to be.

If you can't find a trade partner to move up and get one of the big 3 and all three are gone before 48 then you can still add a very good player at 48 in addition to the haul we will receive for the rest of our picks. Deebo? Hakeem Butler? CB? OT?

This I agree with because Miami would love to do exactly what you said. Everything points to it and our 1st rounder, no matter how late, helps them do exactly that. But I'm still trying to figure out how it helps the Cowboys. Even if it helps Miami more, that means nothing as long as it benefits the Cowboys to some degree.

Consider the once mentioned 48 and 58 for 24. If the Raiders are willing to do that it works out pretty good for the Cowboys. Like someone else mentioned, we're pushing the cooper trade back a year, no loss there. We'll be getting the DT/S we would have picked at 58, just better. Net gain there. But we are losing a pick in the deal because we're substituting pick 58 this year and a late 1st next year for pick 24 this year and no first next year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Trading 2020 1st rd pick to Miami for their second rd pick. Pick 48. This agreement is finalized the night before the draft.

The thought process for Miami. They are in tank mode for QB in 2020. The more capital they can get, the more ammo they have to get their guy.

The thought process for Dallas. Getting decent value for the trade. Pick up a mid round 2nd for a future 1st. And there are several players they want that they believe might be there in the early 2nd.

Dallas then trades pick 128 and 136 for pick 106 82 points to 82 points.

Pick 106 - Dylan Mack - 1 Tech
Pick 165 - Tony Pollard - RB

Pick 241 - Dre Greenlaw - LB

Not having a 1st rd pick in 2020 would be tough but Jeffrey Simmons is the 3 tech we need. Dylan Mack next to him on the DL would be sick.

This would shore up the 3 biggest needs in my opinion. The DT's and Safety. Plus get our backup RB and the LB the team is searching for.

Drafting Jeffrey Simmons also helps with the cap as they can move on from Crawford or Collins in 2020. Whichever one is asking for more.
Ok with trading but a 2020 1st is worth far more than just pick 48. Going by the numbers, future 1st is worth 1000 points so it would be at least the second and their third and probably a sixth.

Sandyf

Reaction score
If Dallas trades their 1st in 2020, it will not be until the 2nd round starts or most likely when a team is on the clock and the players that Dallas wants to target are available. You don't trade the night without knowing who is there unless it is for pick #33.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
my head hurts.

I was just thinking the same thing. LOL I feel bad for OP. He took the time to research this scenario so that we're not looking at another 'Madden' trade. His downfall was actually thinking that everyone here would be willing to agree/disagree with his logic and they'd be willing to have a spirited debate without roasting him like a Turkey on Thanksgiving. OP...no matter how logical, realistic, sensible and factual your posts are, someone here will always bully you into thinking that you're the idiot and not them. Most of us can only hope that one day, this village grows into a town. I, for one, appreciate the read and would be THRILLED to see the 'boys mock this draft.

village_idiot.png