Modular Homes

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've seen mobile homes that are very nice. I stayed in one when I visited some people who put one on their property as a guest house. It was well maintained and very nice. It had the advantage of giving me total privacy when I stayed with them. It made me consider investing in a mobile home myself as a way to own my own home affordably. However, I was dismayed to learn how fast mobile homes lose their value. Plus, lets face it, there's a stigma to them. I would think there wouldn't be because there's a huge difference between a well-maintained home and one that is allowed to get run-down, and that applies regardless of what type of home. But the sad fact is, if you buy a mobile home, it will probably go down in value even if well maintained.

That's why I've considered maybe going with a modular one instead. The concept makes sense to me. The home gets built in sections, or modules, in a factory under controlled conditions, and then is fully assembled on site. This approach results in keeping costs way down while still being able to make a quality house. And there are many different models, so chances are a person could find one that meets his needs. It makes me wonder if there's a similar drop in value like the mobile homes and if there's a stigma. To me it looks like I did the legwork, I could find a house that I like a lot and that meets my needs and is affordable if I went modular. Seems like a good way to get the best bang for your buck.

I'm curious if anyone here has gone with modular and if you like it – or if you've at least looked into it. What are your impressions?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
They haven't made Mobile homes since the 70s. Now there are modular homes and manufactured homes. The difference is the government issued mandates (standards) for how they are built back in the 70s and they changed the name so you knew the standards by which they were built.

I would avoid manufactured homes, you would want a modular home (you cannot move them) You also need to be very careful as the quality can differ by a large margin and therefore the real value in the home itself can be vastly different.

Personally, if I were going to buy a modular home, I would want to have it build it myself and the standards for that built would be very high and therefore it wouldn't be as cheap as many modular homes are built. Otherwise, I would just go with standard construction.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I've seen mobile homes that are very nice. I stayed in one when I visited some people who put one on their property as a guest house. It was well maintained and very nice. It had the advantage of giving me total privacy when I stayed with them. It made me consider investing in a mobile home myself as a way to own my own home affordably. However, I was dismayed to learn how fast mobile homes lose their value. Plus, lets face it, there's a stigma to them. I would think there wouldn't be because there's a huge difference between a well-maintained home and one that is allowed to get run-down, and that applies regardless of what type of home. But the sad fact is, if you buy a mobile home, it will probably go down in value even if well maintained.

That's why I've considered maybe going with a modular one instead. The concept makes sense to me. The home gets built in sections, or modules, in a factory under controlled conditions, and then is fully assembled on site. This approach results in keeping costs way down while still being able to make a quality house. And there are many different models, so chances are a person could find one that meets his needs. It makes me wonder if there's a similar drop in value like the mobile homes and if there's a stigma. To me it looks like I did the legwork, I could find a house that I like a lot and that meets my needs and is affordable if I went modular. Seems like a good way to get the best bang for your buck.

I'm curious if anyone here has gone with modular and if you like it – or if you've at least looked into it. What are your impressions?
https://wheelhaus.com/

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t want to end up in a new “Wizard of Oz” as old man Dorothy. Those damn things are dangerous and not just tornadoes, a flood will turn them into boats, if they can withstand the the force and not fall apart.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I highly recommend standard construction.

Just a better overall house. If you're wanting a house for the rest of your life, save up a hefty down payment and get one built. Better quality, better energy savings, just better all around for long term.
I disagree. My house was so we'll built and energy efficient, it had electric baseboard heaters, and was cheaper to heat than any comparably sized house I know of.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I just bought a modular/mobile home. Other than the length and width you would never know. The estate I am in now requires every home sold to go under reno's, so when the reno's are done they just look more like homes. In my case, going through a divorce, and not being able to afford our marital home ... I was originally going to rent an apartment, then I saw a real estate ad for this place ... decided to check it out, like what I saw ... paid cash. So I just pay a 406/month land lease fee. After looking at apartments, then viewing this place ... I made the right choice. Apartments would rum 1000/1100 month all inclusive. This place will be cheaper yet. My place is all forced gas heating/central air. All updates were done in 2014. I never thought I'd live in this type of home, now I plan on staying here until death does us part ... lol. I'll post pics when I get a chance. There is a lot of talk about affordable housing, these types of homes could be a solution...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Thee only mobile homes worth a fortune in the nation can be found in Malibu, CA.

They currently have one listed for $2.8 million!
Yeah,they have that going on in Carpinteria too,but without the high valued property Malibu is. Matthew McConaughey has a small trailer he lives out of in Malibu,or did.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I highly recommend standard construction.

Just a better overall house. If you're wanting a house for the rest of your life, save up a hefty down payment and get one built. Better quality, better energy savings, just better all around for long term.

I moved out of a standard construction home. I believe the quality in my modular/mobile home is superior.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They haven't made Mobile homes since the 70s. Now there are modular homes and manufactured homes. The difference is the government issued mandates (standards) for how they are built back in the 70s and they changed the name so you knew the standards by which they were built.

I would avoid manufactured homes, you would want a modular home (you cannot move them) You also need to be very careful as the quality can differ by a large margin and therefore the real value in the home itself can be vastly different.

Personally, if I were going to buy a modular home, I would want to have it build it myself and the standards for that built would be very high and therefore it wouldn't be as cheap as many modular homes are built. Otherwise, I would just go with standard construction.
Manufactured Homes are built on a steel chassis with wheels attached. This is so the trailer can be moved or towed. Therefore they are Mobile.

Modular Homes are placed on a permanent foundation. Myself, I like a nice heated tent. :p

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I moved out of a standard construction home. I believe the quality in my modular/mobile home is superior.
It's a hit or miss on both sides. One can have a well built standard construction home or a cheap built standard construction home. All depends on the builder you choose.

Same with modular/mobile home. All depends which manufacturer you choose to purchase one from.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I was involved 1 time in the transportation from the manufacturer to the "home" buyers property 3 states away that was sold just shy of 1 million dollars,,, yes!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I prefer to use the term trailer house,,,on all of them,but you are correct yosemiteo_O

* actually, it was the manufacturing Industry itself that initiated the relabeling,along with government imposed HUD required standards,,,
As that market was tainted & labelled in a poor public view,,,tornadoes & poverty level clientele were killing sales.( I think it was 1978 or 1983,I can't recall exactly, when the government HUD little metal numbered tag had to be affixed to the unit

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
There is a manufacturer here in Boise that makes these. When I was doing telecommunications work I got the pleasure of touring the place. It was neat and I was pleasantly surprised with how nice they were. These particular models they were building at the time had a bit of a narrow footprint, but, they built them surprisingly tall. One of their completed model homes was 3 stories. Seriously, it wasn't that bad.

https://www.guerdonmodularbuildings.com is actually the website if you're curious.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is a manufacturer here in Boise that makes these. When I was doing telecommunications work I got the pleasure of touring the place. It was neat and I was pleasantly surprised with how nice they were. These particular models they were building at the time had a bit of a narrow footprint, but, they built them surprisingly tall. One of their completed model homes was 3 stories. Seriously, it wasn't that bad.

https://www.guerdonmodularbuildings.com is actually the website if you're curious.
I think the narrow footprint is necessary for shipping.