Modular Homes

GMO415

Reaction score
Bottom line is.... you're throwing away money if you're renting. So many financial benefits in owning unless you're in your 80s.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
There is a manufacturer here in Boise that makes these. When I was doing telecommunications work I got the pleasure of touring the place. It was neat and I was pleasantly surprised with how nice they were. These particular models they were building at the time had a bit of a narrow footprint, but, they built them surprisingly tall. One of their completed model homes was 3 stories. Seriously, it wasn't that bad.

https://www.guerdonmodularbuildings.com is actually the website if you're curious.
I was picking up all the work from a certain trailer house dealership once upon a time& man, some of those salesman he had working there looked like MORTICIAN'S, all pale& waxy looking from going into so many locked up& sealed tight interior's trailer houses to show potential customers,,, as all the glues/adhesives would just be boiling off inside some of those cheap "shooter" ( cuz' they generally 'shot' straight outta' the lot) models ,sitting under the Arizona sun,,,I've developed screaming splitting headaches in less than 15 minutes time in on once while working,,, (you got to open up all the windows & walk away, come back in an hour)

Last edited:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
It amazes me how many of those I see with no netting over the roof, to keep the shingles from ripping off in transit.
They started just running kinda like a single 'carpet tack strip' along the leading edge with just about 2-3' of something like that onion sack plastic netting ,only bigger weave as I recall,,,,HA, one time, I was up in Colorado shut down at a little roadside rest pull off during a real toad strangler of a rain squall,,, and there were a couple of bikers pulled off and pinned down by it as well,,, they were eyeballing that half of trailer house I was hauling as sheltered refuge,,, with only a thin sheet of white plastic keeping them still out in the elements,,, My disapproving evil "I'll kill you if you do" gaze I lauded on them kept them hunkered down where they was,,,:lmao:(ya,I recall that time):lmao2:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They started just running kinda like a single 'carpet tack strip' along the leading edge with just about 2-3' of something like that onion sack plastic netting ,only bigger weave as I recall,,,,HA, one time, I was up in Colorado shut down at a little roadside rest pull off during a real toad strangler of a rain squall,,, and there were a couple of bikers pulled off and pinned down by it as well,,, they were eyeballing that half of trailer house I was hauling as sheltered refuge,,, with only a thin sheet of white plastic keeping them still out in the elements,,, My disapproving evil "I'll kill you if you do" gaze I lauded on them kept them hunkered down where they was,,,:lmao:(ya,I recall that time):lmao2:
I see quite a few with the shingles blowing up from the corner, like the whole thing is just gonna come flying off, and often, individual shingles do. You'd think it's be cheaper and easier to just put a net or tarpaulin over the whole thing.

(I almost wrote "single shingles", but it just sounded tacky.)

kskboys

Reaction score
Bottom line is.... you're throwing away money if you're renting. So many financial benefits in owning unless you're in your 80s.
Absolutely. However, owning your own home is both expensive and takes constant maintenance. Many people are simply not capable of owning a home.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Absolutely. However, owning your own home is both expensive and takes constant maintenance. Many people are simply not capable of owning a home.
At least in a trailer house you could install a trap door in the floor& make good yer' escape under the trailer houses crawl space,,,ya know?o_O
Man,I had to block one up so high due to this "flood plain" the state jumped both feet first in strict adherence, that sucker was 54" min.off the ground ,from the highest point of ground level & there was a site built brick sided house probably less than two years old
( construction debris piled up & incomplete landscaping,,,) 75 yards away,,,:facepalm::lmao::facepalm:,,,come to think about it? ,I think that's when I QUIT playing that install game:mad:

kskboys

Reaction score
When I bought a mobile home back in 1993, they were short term solutions. Basically, after maybe 10 yrs, they were falling apart. I take it that's not the case any more?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At least in a trailer house you could install a trap door in the floor& make good yer' escape under the trailer houses crawl space,,,ya know?o_O
Man,I had to block one up so high due to this "flood plain" the state jumped both feet first in strict adherence, that sucker was 54" min.off the ground ,from the highest point of ground level & there was a site built brick sided house probably less than two years old
( construction debris piled up & incomplete landscaping,,,) 75 yards away,,,:facepalm::lmao::facepalm:,,,come to think about it? ,I think that's when I QUIT playing that install game:mad:
Can't find the Lethal Weapon scene to illustrate that, but you know which one it is.

lukin2006

Reaction score
When I bought a mobile home back in 1993, they were short term solutions. Basically, after maybe 10 yrs, they were falling apart. I take it that's not the case any more?

The park I'm in
That goes to the quality of the builder.

In my case, the home was gutted in 2014 and essentially was dry-walled, vinyl siding, new windows, new laminate flooring, new bath, new kitchen, new deck and it came with newer appliances. I am happy, plan on staying here.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Can't find the Lethal Weapon scene to illustrate that, but you know which one it is.
Oh,Bro! I was HOWLING in knee slapping HILARIOUS laughter thru the entirety of that scene with thd rolling 1/2 of mobile home
( secondary set being transported,,, secondary meaning it wasn't happy where it was the first time & wanted to go somewhere else,,,cuz' it's a two piecer tenement on wheels once somebody Slap's those tires back on it,,, :thumbup:)

* ya,running Brother!,,, that struck me square in the funny bone seeing that in the movie:starspin:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
The park I'm in

In my case, the home was gutted in 2014 and essentially was dry-walled, vinyl siding, new windows, new laminate flooring, new bath, new kitchen, new deck and it came with newer appliances. I am happy, plan on staying here.
Thats cool&from the sounds of what you laid down, it sounds like the remodel was conducted in a professional workmanlike manner,clean& neat as a pin,,, but,,,the only problem in those kinda' revamps/ remodeling ( mostly if the homes not paid off/owned free& clear,,, is you are taking it out of the federal HUD standards/ manufacturers warranty,,,as theirs a true blue million Hispanics in my A.O. & every one of those dudes are either a drywaller,tile setter, or stucco splattering extraordinaire,or got a beer drinking amigo who is ,,,and lemme' tell you, those things are a royal PIA in getting them cut in half & prepped for transport,,, then with all the extra crap tonnage they've spackled right tight on it ,the exterior outside rim joyces are overloaded ,the whole back AZZ end behind the running gears is noticeably sagging ,the whole damn thing could just flat out come unglued in transit,and,,,then all that interior quality crafted drywall/ plaster work is cracked everywhere & you gotta' rack the hell outta the opposite corners front to back just to get ol' waslo's castle half realigned to bolt back together, causing more interior wall cracking if not even breaking window panes,, SHEESE,,, I'm truly greatful to NOT be playing that trailer game,,,,ANYMOREo_O

*ya,I speak with the vested coin of experience about that aspect:lmao:

lukin2006

Reaction score
Thats cool&from the sounds of what you laid down, it sounds like the remodel was conducted in a professional workmanlike manner,clean& neat as a pin,,, but,,,the only problem in those kinda' revamps/ remodeling ( mostly if the homes not paid off/owned free& clear,,, is you are taking it out of the federal HUD standards/ manufacturers warranty,,,as theirs a true blue million Hispanics in my A.O. & every one of those dudes are either a drywaller,tile setter, or stucco splattering extraordinaire,or got a beer drinking amigo who is ,,,and lemme' tell you, those things are a royal PIA in getting them cut in half & prepped for transport,,, then with all the extra crap tonnage they've spackled right tight on it ,the exterior outside rim joyces are overloaded ,the whole back AZZ end behind the running gears is noticeably sagging ,the whole damn thing could just flat out come unglued in transit,and,,,then all that interior quality crafted drywall/ plaster work is cracked everywhere & you gotta' rack the hell outta the opposite corners front to back just to get ol' waslo's castle half realigned to bolt back together, causing more interior wall cracking if not even breaking window panes,, SHEESE,,, I'm truly greatful to NOT be playing that trailer game,,,,ANYMOREo_O

*ya,I speak with the vested coin of experience about that aspect:lmao:

I'm in Canada. So most of what you said I can not relate to...lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Bit of trivia, BTW. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who Janine had a kid w/?

lukin2006

Reaction score
When I get a chance I'll post pictures. If you buy one renovated, they are just small home, more or less. That was my biggest challenge, going from a 3-floor townhouse to a 4 1 floor, modular home.