Moehrig or Bolton

cnuball21

Reaction score
I remember Brandon Spikes ran a 5 flat and still was drafted in the 2nd rd and what I remember pretty good player for a few years with the Patriots. I think lack of speed at the position is more downfield coverage issue, not in the run game, nor covering the short, underneath zones.

That's playing with fire...more of an outlier and I"d say the league has continued to evolve over the last 5 years.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's playing with fire...more of an outlier and I"d say the league has continued to evolve over the last 5 years.

You have players like Sean Lee who ran a slow 40 time, yet they play much faster, due to high level instincts. He also does struggle in coverage down the field, but in the run game, in his prime, he was a beast. A player like Jaylon or Bruce Carter are on the other side, elite speed, yet they are terrible football players.

Do think Bolton has elite instincts and will run slow, but think he still will be a very good player. However, you are right only unique players have a chance running that slow on the NFL level.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You have players like Sean Lee who ran a slow 40 time, yet they play much faster, due to high level instincts. He also does struggle in coverage down the field, but in the run game, in his prime, he was a beast. A player like Jaylon or Bruce Carter are on the other side, elite speed, yet they are terrible football players.

Do think Bolton has elite instincts and will run slow, but think he still will be a very good player. However, you are right only unique players have a chance running that slow on the NFL level.

Agree 100% but Lee ran a 4.7 not a 4.8 and was drafted like 10 years ago.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree 100% but Lee ran a 4.7 not a 4.8 and was drafted like 10 years ago.
In my opinion, 40 time is more important to the receivers and corners, then the instinctive positions like linebacker/safety. Those two positions require high level mental processing an or instincts. A player who has quicker reaction time can get to a spot faster, then someone who needs more time to see the play develop in front of them. I think there are still speed benchmarks for each position, but they can be effective without possessing elite speed.

A player like Jevon Holland is another interesting one, many believe he is going to run in that 4.7 range as a safety, but he does have strong instincts for the position. No way he can play single high with that speed, but might be able to play multiple roles within the secondary.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
In my opinion, 40 time is more important to the receivers and corners, then the instinctive positions like linebacker/safety. Those two positions require high level mental processing an or instincts. A player who has quicker reaction time can get to a spot faster, then someone who needs more time to see the play develop in front of them. I think there are still speed benchmarks for each position, but they can be effective without possessing elite speed.

A player like Jevon Holland is another interesting one, many believe he is going to run in that 4.7 range as a safety, but he does have strong instincts for the position. No way he can play single high with that speed, but might be able to play multiple roles within the secondary.
Justin simmons ran 4.6 as did a bunch of peoples favorite xavier mckinney. I dount holland runs 4.7 thats just ridiculous for a safety/slot guy.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I agree with this, you can find LB's later in draft that can run and hit. DL and DB need to be premium players, we have spent enough capital on LB in last 4 years and thats not doing well for us.
Because they pick the wrong ones. Bolton is can’t miss.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Holland ran 4.7 w/ a 37” vertical back on 12-20-20.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I agree again...but I still think there are thresholds where the bar is set for the nfl level.

I also think that bar for speed has been rising for LBr the last several years.

I love Holland...but if he runs a 4.7 I’m not touching him early.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Bolton. he is a plug and play LB, day 1. Instant upgrade. Hes a early day 2 guy IMO.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Holland ran 4.7 w/ a 37” vertical back on 12-20-20.
I hope the kid is good. I just know he won’t be a Cowboy.
Don’t say never.