Monday Morning Overreaction - Cowboys vs Rams Edition

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Check back through day. Will post them as they become available. Beauty of being a fan of America's Team, is someone usually takes the time to cut out the Cowboys segments in all national shows because they know it's good for instant clicks.

Start with last night's shows:

NBC - Sunday Night Football
Jason Garrett (ol' Carrot Top), Mike Florio (PFT Muckracker), Devin McCourty (Patriots S)

(Cowboys talk starts at 2:40)
Redball said most vertical the Boys have been in passing game all season. Threw it deep 11 times after 35 yard line. 4 of those were TDs. McCourty credits defense for being dominant again. Stafford had no chance, no time. Florio says not just home field advantage, Cowboys play great on turf. 49ers game on grass. They need beat Eagles to get that home field advantage into Playoffs.

NBC - Chris Simms Unbuttoned
Chris Simms (The Son, Former Longhorn)

(Cowboys talk starts at 51:00)
111-33 Dallas has outscored opponents at home. 4th win over 20 points, most in NFL. Simms says there is something about that, hard to do that in NFL. Shows they have killer instinct and watch out if they get momentum. They are not good at ugly, but they are great with the big show. Crowd noise always helps them. Thought Rams offensive line was better than previous year, didn't expect Cowboys to steam roll them like that. Stafford abused all day. Rams lost that game in an instant when Turpin, Bland, etc all had the big plays in short span.

ESPN - Sportscenter
Ed Werder (Reporter).... CeeDee Lamb, Jerrah, Dak and McVay press soundbites from interviews and PCs

(Cowboys talk is only first three minutes of video)
Dak breaks Cowboys record for most games with 300 yards and 4 TDs. CeeDee Lamb interview with Werder. Jerry soundbite says it's one of most dominant performances he's seen from a Cowboys WR. Sean McVay basically saying same thing Coach Mac said after 49ers loss - humbling. Worst Rams defeat since 2017 when McVay took over.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Added Sportscenter to first post. Worst defeat for McVay over Rams? That's one I hadn't seen yet.

I think Redball is right. Cowboys made conscientious effort to go vertical in bye week practice, especially with CeeDee, and there's the difference with Coach Mac's new offense.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Redball is right. Cowboys made conscientious effort to go vertical in bye week practice, especially with CeeDee, and there's the difference with Coach Mac's new offense.
It is a critical coaching and quarterbacking mistake to not exploit one of the NFL's best offensive weapons. That is true for all league teams, not just Dallas.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don't be confused by the Stephen Smith covers. They do that on purpose to get more clicks.

Richard Sherman Podcast
Richard Sherman (one of Q's legion of booms)

(Cowboys talk starts at beginning.)
Sherman says CeeDee didn't prove he's a true #1. Had a great game though. Thinks Bland is incredible. 3 pick sixes first few games is unheard of in NFL. First player since 1970 to do this. They have one of best special teams coordinator in league, always making plays. Held Rams receivers down. Complete game for Cowboys, and coming up at a good time with Eagles next. Eagles game will determine how good they are.

ESPN Radio - Unsportsmanlike
Chris Canty (one of our own)

(Cowboys talk starts at beginning)
Canty says total #*#$ kicking. Thinks Dallas is more night club environment than football team so good to show this dominance. First time for Cowboys to have Safety and Defensive TD since 1988. Offense gets kudos, but this is defensive led, and they have to do well if will go far. Jets is only team Cowboys have beaten they have winning record. They are supposed to demolish Rams. That team is depleted for paying its bill for trading away picks and keeping vets on Super Bowl team. Next week on road against Philly is how he judges the Cowboys, not this game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sounds like a sports fan discussion platform the day after. Team wins, "We're going to the Super Bowl"! The team loses, "The season is over"!
So far, no themes like that. Was definitely the reaction beginning of season, but sounds like national media is more "fool me once, fool me twice" in that they need to see them beat the Eagles before saying the Cowboys are for real. Played a lot of losing teams.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One last late show from last night or very early morning. Once again, false title picture to get more clicks. Has Shannon Sharpe, but not First Take.
Regular Monday shows starting to upload.

Nightcap (not sure what network, but this plays out like a Dak thread on these forums LOL)
Shannon Sharpe (HOFer)

(Cowboys talk starts at 2:30)
Sharpe arguing with Host who says Dak was elite. Sharpe says you have to be consistent week to week to prove you are elite. Whole Cowboys soundbite is a Dak Fight. Thought I was on the Zone.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys beat a team they were supposed to beat. That's what good teams do. Ergo, the Cowboys are a good team.

But it usually takes more than a good team to win the Super Bowl, they have to be much better than average. Now they can become that kind of a team for a short period of time in the late season or playoffs, doesn't mean they have to be much better than average the entire season.

Can the Cowboys be one of those teams? Sure,it's not like they don't have some talent and some coaching, but their history in the last 27 years suggests they won't be.

As is the case with the last 10 or so years, I'll just watch and see what happens.

Good win, I enjoyed it...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
One last late show from last night or very early morning. Once again, false title picture to get more clicks. Has Shannon Sharpe, but not First Take.
Regular Monday shows starting to upload.

Nightcap (not sure what network, but this plays out like a Dak thread on these forums LOL)
Shannon Sharpe (HOFer)

(Cowboys talk starts at 2:30)
Sharpe arguing with Host who says Dak was elite. Sharpe says you have to be consistent week to week to prove you are elite. Whole Cowboys soundbite is a Dak Fight. Thought I was on the Zone.

Sharpe is one of the biggest mouths on sports television, and one of the biggest flip floppers as well.

Don't pay much attention to what he says, though as with Stephen A. Smith, he is entertaining.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yes they can take control next week. I created a thread about that. What will a win mean over the Eagles.
And even if it wasn’t the Eagles, the team needs just needs to play at a CONSISTENT high level if they are to truly be around at the end……they may not win every game but the blowout losses to the Cards and Niners have to be a thing of the past.

The late season 5 games in a row against the Eagle, Bills,Lions,Dolphins and Seahawks will be the make or break part of the season.

shabazz

Reaction score
Sharpe is one of the biggest mouths on sports television, and one of the biggest flip floppers as well.

Don't pay much attention to what he says, though as with Stephen A. Smith, he is entertaining.
I preferred last weeks “Undisputed” show in which Lil Wayne and 2 Chains beat up Skip Bayless at the end.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Nice win, however, the Eagles are far better than the Rams and they play on grass. I expect an Eagles win by at least 16 points.

shabazz

Reaction score
Nice win, however, the Eagles are far better than the Rams and they play on grass. I expect an Eagles win by at least 16 points.
History of this team says that you would probably be right but I’ve got a feeling we might overcome.

Jerry says we’ve got the roster to do it…………no upgrades necessary

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true , but the good sign was that the Cowboys didn’t play down to them.

They took care of biz and beat an inferior team with all 3 phases doing their part
The first half was kinda crazy. But we saw that week 1 and 2. The only common denominator I can figure is we feast on teams we don’t fear. Philly is going to be a whole other level bc they have no weaknesses. Let’s see if they learned anything from the SF game.

shabazz

Reaction score
The first half was kinda crazy. But we saw that week 1 and 2. The only common denominator I can figure is we feast on teams we don’t fear. Philly is going to be a whole other level bc they have no weaknesses. Let’s see if they learned anything from the SF game.
What I’m concerned about also is when they face a team they can’t pass on? the running game is anemic and it should be something they can lean on to close out games with.