Moore compounded the Nooch problem

Plankton

Reaction score
I want to know which member of the cowboys told bryan broaddus the gameplan and what they were doing in practice. They did exactly what he said. This is awful for the organization and it tells me McCarthy is destined to fail repeatedly. If your offensive gameplan is just given to a guy who the organization has FIRED two times and he then repeats it on the radio for 4 straight hours....what does this say about the organization and the head coach.

ridiculous.

jerry-stephen.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Dak made Moore last year.

Let's stipulate that Nooch was terrible. But a quality OC doesn't compound the problem that puts the QB and the team into bad situations. We had Philly on their heels early in the 3rd quarter and were running it down their throats. So what does Moore do? Go into his college bag of tricks and run a play that hadn't fooled Philly the first time you tried to run.

Cost us like 10 yards, made it a long FG for Greg the Leg and Philly ended up with the ball at midfield and scored a TD to take the lead.

It was such a horrendous call in that situation. And that wasn't the only questionable call he made all night. I wonder how long a leash he has with McCarthy?

All coaches are wrong/bad when they lose or when a play call does not work.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let's stipulate that Nooch was terrible. But a quality OC doesn't compound the problem that puts the QB and the team into bad situations. We had Philly on their heels early in the 3rd quarter and were running it down their throats. So what does Moore do? Go into his college bag of tricks and run a play that hadn't fooled Philly the first time you tried to run.

Cost us like 10 yards, made it a long FG for Greg the Leg and Philly ended up with the ball at midfield and scored a TD to take the lead.

It was such a horrendous call in that situation. And that wasn't the only questionable call he made all night. I wonder how long a leash he has with McCarthy?

But if you recall that set of downs, what ruined it was Zeke not following his blocks on first down and leaving us with second and long. Zach Martin had opened up a giant hole on the right and Zeke went left. We had been running behind Martins combo blocks the whole drive. Why did he go left?

I agree the trick play was uncalled for but Zeke out us in a second and long which is usually a passing down.

Brax

Reaction score
Running so many trick plays takes a lot of time from practice and developing timing. It also tells your team that you are desperate and don't think you can win the game. Very disappointing game plan. I stated that in the 1st quarter, not after the game. Pathetic on the part of Moore and MM.
One of the worst game plans I have ever seen and this from 2 "Offensive geniuses" . Dallas coaching leaves a lot to be desired right now, but on the bright side jerry really likes the core players and thinks the coaching staff is top notch and doing great considering the conditions they are under. I wonder if Jerry drew up those trick plays........

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am always amazed at the constant complaints about Dak and Kellen Moore. I hope everyone realizes those have been the two main things that have actually gone right for us over the past 12 months or so.

Moore had to be creative this game and that's the only reason we kept the Eagles defense somewhat honest during the first half.
agree game plan and most of the PC were good but that one double reverse whole driving in FG range that lost 12 yards was stupid..

horrible time to stop running forward... he done this many times the last 18 months rolling a nice drive and then a stupid off the cuff out of the blue that doesnt fit call..

it was him pulling that out of the well one too many times..i dont believe he needs to be fired etc definitely needs to be brought up by the HC in a face to face that that a mistake that cant keep happening..

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The Moore hate cracks me up. I literally saw a post in the game thread last night when Nooch fumbled the ball "Moore sucks. He has to know the QB is getting blitzed" :laugh:

Some of you guys are just never happy.

Team runs the football "Moore sucks! Need to pass the ball!"
Team passes the ball "Moore sucks! Just run the ball!"
Moore calls vanilla offense "Moore sucks! Get creative!"
Moore gets creative "Moore sucks!! Just play basic football!"
Team runs on first "Moore sucks! So predictable!"
Team passes on first "Moore sucks! Just run the ball here!"

I'll give you his reverse call when we were running the ball well wasn't the greatest decision and cost us, but other than that, you guys are just trying to find something to hitch your wagon to. The Nooch was terrible. There was nothing any coordinator could do to help that guy on the field.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The Moore hate cracks me up. I literally saw a post in the game thread last night when Nooch fumbled the ball "Moore sucks. He has to know the QB is getting blitzed" :laugh:

Some of you guys are just never happy.

Team runs the football "Moore sucks! Need to pass the ball!"
Team passes the ball "Moore sucks! Just run the ball!"
Moore calls vanilla offense "Moore sucks! Get creative!"
Moore gets creative "Moore sucks!! Just play basic football!"
Team runs on first "Moore sucks! So predictable!"
Team passes on first "Moore sucks! Just run the ball here!"

I'll give you his reverse call when we were running the ball well wasn't the greatest decision and cost us, but other than that, you guys are just trying to find something to hitch your wagon to. The Nooch was terrible. There was nothing any coordinator could do to help that guy on the field.
You can only dumb down things so much before you realize it's on the players to execute.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Again, calling a bunch of trick plays that don't work doesn't mean it was a creative game plan.

And the biggest offensive gaffe of the night was a trick play we ran before in the game and was also a similar failure. It was likely a game changing play call.

Hinging your criticism on one play of a type that had worked earlier a couple times in the game doesn't make for a strong case.

We were running and it was working. I wish they'd stick with what's working more often too. But it was just one play. A sack can be game changing. A blown up run.

We didn't have that much to work with on offense. Some of those gimmicks worked for us. It wasn't a horribly called game. We weren't going to be rolling up and down the field no matter what was called.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Listen, Nooch is pretty terrible but it is no excuse for the offensive coordinator to roll in with literally zero game plan. Typically when you are starting a QB that #1 does not know the playbook and #2 is not accurate in the slightest, as a coach you simply must come up with ways to get easy yards. No one here expected us to drop a 40 piece on Philly, but I think it was reasonable enough for us to expect to move the ball better than we did. What you do to help a limited QB is run bootlegs, lean on the run game, screens, etc. Moore did these things at times and wouldn't you know... WE MOVED THE BALL. However whenever we started to find success, Moore would inexplicably call an absolute boneheaded trick play or drop back slow developing pass that would totally kill momentum and drives.

What I find so disturbing is that this has been a reoccurring theme for the Dallas Cowboys the last decade. I cannot remember the last time that we had a coach that was able to get a little more than what was expected out of players. Whenever we lose even a single player at a key position like QB, LT, LB, etc the team absolutely falls apart. You look around the league and plenty of coaches maximize their players skills. If Lamar Jackson landed with the Dallas Cowboys he would already have been written off and out of the league. Harbaugh designed the offense to get the most out of Jackson's skill set. The Dallas Cowboys coaching staff could never manage to pull this off. We would be dropping him back like Tom Brady and let him get ripped up.

I think it is time to take the clipboard away from Moore. He simply has proven time and time again that he has no game awareness and has killed countless drives with inexplicably bizarre calls given the context of the situation. Just my two cents and I would love to hear some other opinions, but our inability to adjust and find at least a little success when one of our starters goes down is absolutely unacceptable.
I have been dissing Moore since the day they brought him back.

I predicted that by the bye week Big Mike would be calling the plays.

It's time to do it now.

McCarthy..put your reputation where your mouth is.

It's time for McCarthy to show he can coach and focus the remaining players into a team.

So far McCarthy has just become like Garrett was. He is toeing the Jones line and not being accountable for poor results
I knew in my gut Big Mike was going to come to this and that he blew it keeping Moore.

McCarthy you are not an executive. You are a football coach. Your players need you. You have stood on the sidelines while your team has been crushed.

Send Moore to the press box and you need to call the plays and straighten this mess out.

Every day you delay you lose credibility with the players and the fans.

Time to earn that big fat salary you draw.

:angry:

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Moore was awful tonight. Let the kid throw in the middle you moron!
Exactly!

What was up with all the gimmick plays? Call a game that allows him to throw down field short to medium throws in middle. High probability throws.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You would have thought so, but there we were, up 2 with the ball around the Eagles 30 and them on their heels and boy wonder goes back to his Boise State days and calls a dumb reverse/pass to Wilson that doesn't fool anyone. Like it didn't fool them in the first half when we ran it.

Just a stupid play call that really hurt the team.
There is a fundamental flaw in the system,, and its so difficult for fans to understand, and Im not trying to insult.
Jerry is not a smart man,, he is a lucky man that drilled a few holes and hit oil, became rich, bought the Cowboys, fired Tom, and hired Jimmy.
That is Jerrys legacy, everything after that for the most part has been a complete failure,, other than making millions off of all of us stupid fans.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
kellen has no coaching experience !
he was qb coach for 1 year, and then jerry made him OC !
Name one other OC with that small of a resume.
most coach various positions, and maybe different teams, and work up to a OC or DC position.
But not here, we just make a guy with 1 year of experience OC.
He just isnt ready yet, and like JG is learning on the job, and that isnt the best way to learn, he should be learning from other OC's for a few years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

I was pretty PO'd when they went 7 straight runs during that drive, the Eagles were obviously overwhelmed, only to pull another stupid reverse with the defender waiting 10 yards in the backfield to dump the ball carrier for a loss. End of drive and any hope for points. Even a FG on that drive would have been huge for the team at that point.

That is on McCarthy. He has to take control at some point. He should be bearing full responsibility for this mess.

jsb357

Reaction score
There are so many things that are different between now and then that this analogy is about as pointless as it can be.

yea, better offensive line
"elite" QB
defense held Eagles to 17
fighting for playoff spot

still 9 points

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

completely agree, after 3 trick plays early he should have just stopped and let Dinucci at least try to be a darn qb. I was getting angry and I do think there is a chance Moore lost the game