Morality aside, Greg Hardy is the only missing link to a championship

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm Nigerian and moved to Canada 10 years ago and only to the U.S. IN 2012. So why would it be so shocking or why would it make me dumb, like someone above insinuated, for me not to get it?

Typical American BS. That's like me being upset because you did not understand a vague reference I made to one of the head of state assassinations or numerous coup de tats Nigeria has seen through the years.

Good explanation. That seems like a good reason that you might not get the reference.

In HeavyBarrel's defense, your background is an exception to the norm for posters here. Also, comparing Lincoln to a Nigerian leader is not really an apples to apples comparison. I'm fairly certain that most of the world knows about Lincoln, just like Americans know about Lennin, Stalin, etc.. Comparing Lincoln to a Nigerian leader is like comparing Roger Staubach to the QB for the local Pee Wee team.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Why would any team trade for just his rights for this season? He would then become a free agent at the end of the year. I don't see the benefit of trading for a guy and not playing him. A team really wouldn't have the option to trade for him and actually get to use him this season. His new trial starts in mid-November, so he wouldn't be available to play. If a team wants Hardy, they will have to wait until the off season to get him. Trading for him now would just be a waste of a draft pick and since he is a franchised player that pick or picks would be quite a lot.

It is indeed a touch subject. But you can franchise him next year to retain him while you work on a deal. And if I traded for him I'd have him take the mandatory 5 game suspension now-I believe it is 5 games-the have him available for the playoff run. Obviously the cap issue, current stigma and team chemistry are the drawbacks. But sometimes you gotta take a Haley kind of risk.
A

theSHOW

Reaction score
I know he's got the issues he's dealing with and I'm not sure how that can be circumvented but I do believe this player, or another player of his caliber, is the only thing we're missing on this team.

With Dlaw coming back we'll have a RDE rusher. We have 2 very good 3 techniques in Crawford and Melton and they're both getting better as the season progresses. The 1 tech is not valued but btw Mcclain, Hayden and Brent we can hold that spot down. Selvie, while he's played well against the run, hasn't done squat as a pass rusher this year.

We can have Mincey and Spencer rush from LDE when Lawrence gets back but it won't be the same as having Hardy rushing from that side. He's pretty much the only player missing from that Carolina defense and look at how far they've dropped with him out. And I know they're tired of his shenanigans and won't be franchising him for a 2nd year in a row.

So whether it's before the trade deadline (maybe just for his rights) or in FA, I think we need this guy.

key words being "or another player of his caliber."

I don't think this team needs a bunch of criminals signed in order to compete for the championship. Hardy is 1st team all thug.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It is indeed a touch subject. But you can franchise him next year to retain him while you work on a deal. And if I traded for him I'd have him take the mandatory 5 game suspension now-I believe it is 5 games-the have him available for the playoff run. Obviously the cap issue, current stigma and team chemistry are the drawbacks. But sometimes you gotta take a Haley kind of risk.
A

This isn't similar to a Haley kind of risk. The situations aren't close to being the same.

There is no mandatory 5 game suspension for Hardy yet because the league hasn't issued their suspension until he finishes his legal process. He goes to trial in mid-November. Any suspension for him will not occur until the 2015 season most likely. It would be a wasted pick to try and grab him this season. If they want him then they will just have to try and sign him as a free agent next season.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Dallas already has a RDE. And i think they have a guy they like in Gardner for the left side. hes been putting in work
Ben Gardner
@BennyG49
2 months post surgery tmrw. Shoulder feeling better each day. Can already tell I'll be stronger than ever next year

I was really high on Gardner coming into this year, but I think it'll be tough for him to make this team next year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RKG doesn't exist

RKG does exist. Its guys that LIVE football not so much guys who are above making mistakes.
But what Hardy has done is truly scary.

This court case with Hardy is absolutely insane.
All parties are crazy.
The attorney for his ex-girlfriend has already admitted a civil suit is forthcoming.
This a girl who hooked up with Nelly.
She is definitely chasing dollars.
But they've both admitted to wild partying and the presence of assault rifles and other firearms amid all this drama they apparently had constantly.
Hardy is clearly a drug addict and nightlife maniac who seems to have some Pac Man Jones types control issues.

Let me say this tho... Hardy is probably not as crazy as Charles Haley was.
Haley was seen as a vital, final piece of the puzzle....

As to money Hardy is on a one year deal.
He's not that expensive and the Panthers probably won't ask that much for him.
Dealing with the crazy is the real hold up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was really high on Gardner coming into this year, but I think it'll be tough for him to make this team next year.

Gardner may be able to make the team or at least the practice squad next year but he bears zero into a situation for a player like Hardy.

Bluefin

Reaction score

I'm a Ben Gardner fan, too, but I also hope he's in for a fight to make the 53 next year.

Roster competition is the best of things.

Right now, Jeremy Mincey, DeMarcus Lawrence, Lavar Edwards and Jack Crawford are under contract next season.

Anthony Spencer and George Selvie are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents.

We'll have to see what happens in free agency and the draft, but I hope Gardner stays healthy and rises to the challenge.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
sadly you will find a lot of born here americans who would be just as stumped.

Our wonderful school system

I don't care all that much if the school system teaches Abraham Lincoln and the assassination against him but it would be nice if they taught science, reading, logic and arithmetic beyond a simpleton level.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Sorry, don't get the reference! And I'm not even moved enough to google it.

That you don't get the reference is all that really needs to be said. Sad.

*edit* Just read the post that you are newly Canadian. However, that doesn't justify the "not interested in Googling". Being proud of being ignorant is a bad way to go thru life.

Last edited:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't care all that much if the school system teaches Abraham Lincoln and the assassination against him but it would be nice if they taught science, reading, logic and arithmetic beyond a simpleton level.

those that forget history are doomed to repeat it. You illustrate that very well

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
those that forget history are doomed to repeat it. You illustrate that very well

Try again gomer.
I was a humanities major with English, Philosophy and History as major course work of 20+ hours each.

Learning that Lincoln was assassinated teaches us very little.
It certainly didn't prevent subsequent assassinations.

gdogg24

Reaction score
It's funny to see these "trade for this guy" threads when we have people on the d-line coming back.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
That you don't get the reference is all that really needs to be said. Sad.

*edit* Just read the post that you are newly Canadian. However, that doesn't justify the "not interested in Googling". Being proud of being ignorant is a bad way to go thru life.

Surely I wasn't aware of the historical gravity of the statement.

But if I made a snark reference like 'don't call me surely' in response to a post directed towards a football conversation and the OP did not feel like googling that, that makes the ignorant? Or proudly ignorant?

The fact that by default you expect anyone positing on this board, without knowledge of their background to understand the reference, is gotta be some generic personality issue related to entitlement, and that's really what's sad.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm Nigerian and moved to Canada 10 years ago and only to the U.S. IN 2012. So why would it be so shocking or why would it make me dumb, like someone above insinuated, for me not to get it?

Typical American BS. That's like me being upset because you did not understand a vague reference I made to one of the head of state assassinations or numerous coup de tats Nigeria has seen through the years.

Opps!