Morality aside, Greg Hardy is the only missing link to a championship

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Good explanation. That seems like a good reason that you might not get the reference.

In HeavyBarrel's defense, your background is an exception to the norm for posters here. Also, comparing Lincoln to a Nigerian leader is not really an apples to apples comparison. I'm fairly certain that most of the world knows about Lincoln, just like Americans know about Lennin, Stalin, etc.. Comparing Lincoln to a Nigerian leader is like comparing Roger Staubach to the QB for the local Pee Wee team.

In newnationcb's defense, it's not just an issue of American history but American idioms. If you were to say, "You crack me up" to someone in another culture, even if you explained that was a figure of speech, they'd still struggle with the understanding of the term because in their culture cracking up would be considered something unfathomable with humor.

As for comparing Lincoln to a Nigerian leader being an apples to orange comparison, I would disagree with you in that many people in our own culture don't know who Lincoln is, sadly. So a young person from another country who may not be well-schooled in American history might not know who he is. Or I might ask the question here of posters - do you know who the first leader of the new republic of Nigeria?

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Surely I wasn't aware of the historical gravity of the statement.

But if I made a snark reference like 'don't call me surely' in response to a post directed towards a football conversation and the OP did not feel like googling that, that makes the ignorant? Or proudly ignorant?

The fact that by default you expect anyone positing on this board, without knowledge of their background to understand the reference, is gotta be some generic personality issue related to entitlement, and that's really what's sad.

Actually, I don't expect everyone to understand. I do expect anyone who reads something and doesn't understand to show some intellectual ability to either learn or ask, rather than say they couldn't be bothered ESPECIALLY if your going to make the lame excuse that I'm not from here, and it is somehow an entitlement for the rest of us not to understand your admitted ignorance. My bad. I'll draw pictures for you going forward.

dbonham

Reaction score
Don't trade for abusers, don't 'sign them and don't tolerate them when they are found to already be in the fold. This isn't difficult.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Actually, I don't expect everyone to understand. I do expect anyone who reads something and doesn't understand to show some intellectual ability to either learn or ask, rather than say they couldn't be bothered ESPECIALLY if your going to make the lame excuse that I'm not from here, and it is somehow an entitlement for the rest of us not to understand your admitted ignorance. My bad. I'll draw pictures for you going forward.

I'm sorry that's all I need to hear to end the convo.

I am well learned and have enough zeal to research and acquire knowledge when I'm interested. I think the consensus in this thread thus far has been that given my background, it's not necessarily an oddity for me to not know the phrase while knowing he Lincoln was. Go around life feeling entitled. The world revolves around knowing every phrase uttered about your dead presidents. lol

And I'm very sure that in the duration of our conversation you've been dilligently researching the democratic history of Nigeria and the military usurps that have occurred.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I'm sorry that's all I need to hear to end the convo.

I am well learned and have enough zeal to research and acquire knowledge when I'm interested. I think the consensus in this thread thus far has been that given my background, it's not necessarily an oddity for me to not know the phrase while knowing he Lincoln was. Go around life feeling entitled. The world revolves around knowing every phrase uttered about your dead presidents. lol

And I'm very sure that in the duration of our conversation you've been dilligently researching the democratic history of Nigeria and the military usurps that have occurred.

No, but I bet I can look it up, rather than blame "American BS" for not knowing.

Or are pictures required??

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
No, but I bet I can look it up, rather than blame "American BS" for not knowing.

Or are pictures required??

I don't expect everyone on a football board to look up every pop reference.

I did not expect you to have looked it up because I don't feel the world revolves around my background. I have no feeling of entitlement. Picture that!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Google details of his arrest and tell me if you're comfortable cheering for this particular player. He's probably the most toxic guy out there in terms of players facing legal action.
I agree we could obviously use a DL of his caliber but there's no way Jerry acquires this player.

Just did. Seems to have been a night long coke binge and things went bad when the coke ran out.

Not sure how Wilkes ambushing Lincoln at a show relates.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I don't expect everyone on a football board to look up every pop reference.

I did not expect you to have looked it up because I don't feel the world revolves around my background. I have no feeling of entitlement. Picture that!

It's called intellectual curiosity. It's called a willingness to engage into a conversation without falling back into anti-American rhetoric while trying to hide being embarrassed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am still waiting for an explanation as to Mary Lincoln getting her husbands brain on her dress and rushing to the nearby house has a thing to do with Hardy and his girlfriends coke binge and subsequent fight.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
I am still waiting for an explanation as to Mary Lincoln getting her husbands brain on her dress and rushing to the nearby house has a thing to do with Hardy and his girlfriends coke binge and subsequent fight.

Haven't you heard? The fact that I didn't know the phrase means I have no right to have made this thread about Hardy. I lack the requisite intellectual curiosity.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I am still waiting for an explanation as to Mary Lincoln getting her husbands brain on her dress and rushing to the nearby house has a thing to do with Hardy and his girlfriends coke binge and subsequent fight.[/quot

The comparison is OP believing the morality of Hardy can be set aside for his unrelated playing ability. My comment is setting aside the morality of the murder of Lincoln for the unrelated quality of the play attended.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The comparison is OP believing the morality of Hardy can be set aside for his unrelated playing ability. My comment is setting aside the morality of the murder of Lincoln for the unrelated quality of the play attended.

So you are comparing the political assassination of Lincoln and all that stands for to a drug fueled fight between two people? Dude is from another country. I actually think his not really having a perspective is kinda refreshing.

Anyway, my thought is that if he is partying until 7AM and allowing things to get out of control to the extent that it did, I think it safe to say that evening was hardly his first rodeo. Dallas isn't exactly devoid as it stands to the drug trade and I like the team we have as it is.

We have a prospect to fill the role and if he doesn't work out then we can look again during the offseason. The defense hasn't been such that we need to make gambles like that even if we could. He represents a monumental risk to what we have going.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
And I'm not sure why I'm doing this now other than maybe some alcohol in my system but let's go:

1. I do know Abe Lincoln, slave owner and all
2. I could have looked up the phrase when initially presented to me but I thought it was a cinema/comedy reference that's why I never bothered
3. I truly have never heard the phrase or it's different iterations so had no idea. I know now :)
4. I truly believe getting Hardy (or a similar player) now or in the offseason is the single piece we're missing. I think we have the 3 spot, 1 spot, and RDE in Lawrence and all we're missing is that piece. Sean Lee and Mcclain with Durant is gonna be fun to watch.
5. I would do that trade for a 5th right now to have his rights and make him take that suspension right now so he could be ready for a playoff run. I truly believe that kind of player is the piece missing.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Hell no to Hardy. We need to stay the course. Draft defense next year. A lot of it. Throw in maybe an OL. Sign our own young FA. Make the tough choices on older vets.

yentl911

Reaction score
I'm Nigerian and moved to Canada 10 years ago and only to the U.S. IN 2012. So why would it be so shocking or why would it make me dumb, like someone above insinuated, for me not to get it?

Typical American BS. That's like me being upset because you did not understand a vague reference I made to one of the head of state assassinations or numerous coup de tats Nigeria has seen through the years.

He was one of the most influential people in US history. If you think this is American BS - um, you are in the US right? Then maybe you should shuffle your *** back to Canada or Nigeria.

brymatt94

Reaction score
I'd say, that's what the Draft is for. There are going to be some solid D-lineman in next years draft i.e.- Beasley and Gregory among others.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
He was one of the most influential people in US history. If you think this is American BS - um, you are in the US right? Then maybe you should shuffle your *** back to Canada or Nigeria.

People like you show your *** sooner or later. Whether the prompt is this or actual life, it happens. You either will never be nothing much or are nothing much. Sorry~

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I'm Nigerian and moved to Canada 10 years ago and only to the U.S. IN 2012. So why would it be so shocking or why would it make me dumb, like someone above insinuated, for me not to get it?

Typical American BS. That's like me being upset because you did not understand a vague reference I made to one of the head of state assassinations or numerous coup de tats Nigeria has seen through the years.
You are owed an apology.