More 1 Year Deals

Proof

Reaction score
Needs to be a lockout to put these players in their place and get contracts back in line. The inmates are definitely running the asylum now. Its not as bad as the NBA where the top players are the GM's but its headed there of they dont set it straight.

You already see it starting to happen with Brady and Rogers.

lol. “inmates” you understand they are the talent, the draw, and the product correct? you have a disgusting mentality

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol. “inmates” you understand they are the talent, the draw, and the product correct? you have a disgusting mentality

Players come and go. We root for teams, not players. If scabs were playing on Sundays we would all be watching and cheering. Heck, guys get up for preseason games when scrubs are playing.

Owners just need to put their foot down and get salaries back in line. They get paid enough. Time to put a lid on it.

Unlike you, I have a respect for the history of the game and the teams and ownership that got us here. Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliott didnt trail blaze the NFL. That was done by the NFL owners and the players that came before them. Guys that used to play because they loved the game.

Half the fans hate Dak Prescott and hate Zeke. Why is that? Because they are overpaid and dont deserve it. They also take up huge chunks of our salary cap when its unwarranted.

75boyz

Reaction score
I proposed something similar but in how all contracts should be year to year and based on production. Captain Crash agreed and pitched the same.
BobHaze reminded me of the Players Union's setup with regards to present and future contracts and how money is allocated so it was more my personal desire of seeing pay for play matched on the field more than anything else.

Still wish it was set up that way though.

jmo

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Dude, we all get how it currently is. ok? I am talking about dramatic changes that isn't real obvious? The NFL is nothing like it once was so yes changes are nothing new we just needs some more, ok?

Who's the highest paid CFL player?

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLrjN7zj9cyhx_rAs1urviZoICXXQW8xGuyE-YxwH7PQ&s

The new contract makes Fajardo one of the CFL's highest-paid players. That bar is reportedly set by B.C. Lions quarterback Mike Reilly, who signed a four-year, $2.9 million deal in 2019 ($700,000 annually). Calgary Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell's makes roughly the same on a four-year deal.Jan 5, 2021

How do those guys make ends meet?
What Fajardo makes isn't the whole story..

From the article -
According to their financial reports, the Saskatchewan Roughriders produce approximately $40 million in annual gross revenue. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers generate $35 million, while the Edmonton Football Team checks in at $25 million.

It’s believed that the CFL’s gross revenue in a non-pandemic year is between $200 million and $240 million. As such, we can project that the league’s six privately-owned teams average between $17 million and $23 million in annual revenue.

END -

So say someone tells Jerry - hey you could pay your QB $700,000 and year, and the salary cap is a mere $5 million - WOW I'm sure Jerry would jump on that...BUT the second part is that your annual gross revenue is just 40 million.

As opposed to what you have now - 40 million on your QB, 200 million in salary BUT $980,000 million in revenue...

Which do you think he would take.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/21/the-cfls-business-model-isnt-broken-its-leadership-has-failed/

75boyz

Reaction score
Players come and go. We root for teams, not players. If scabs were playing on Sundays we would all be watching and cheering. Heck, guys get up for preseason games when scrubs are playing.

Owners just need to put their foot down and get salaries back in line. They get paid enough. Time to put a lid on it.

Unlike you, I have a respect for the history of the game and the teams and ownership that got us here. Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliott didnt trail blaze the NFL. That was done by the NFL owners and the players that came before them. Guys that used to play because they loved the game.

Half the fans hate Dak Prescott and hate Zeke. Why is that? Because they are overpaid and dont deserve it. They also take up huge chunks of our salary cap when its unwarranted.

As many of your posts that I disagree with, this is one that I totally support. It's just like Ninja and others as to when I disagree or agree with their multitude of opinions, I can appreciate this side of yours.

The responding posts who disagree with your opinion here for quantifying getting paid millions to play a game I recommend they take up a rifle and stand a post on an E-1s monthly military paycheck, lol.

Excellent post.

jmo

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Actually you are wrong. You, as a core fan would watch. Heck I watch high school football. But there are many who wouldn't unless it was high quality.

So no, owners know what makes them the.most money and that high quality players with high quality product. Not scabs.....with lower quality products and then losing fans money to NBA, MLB etc....

Business 101

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I proposed something similar but in how all contracts should be year to year and based on production. Captain Crash agreed and pitched the same.
BobHaze reminded me of the Players Union's setup with regards to present and future contracts and how money is allocated so it was more my personal desire of seeing pay for play matched on the field more than anything else.

Still wish it was set up that way though.

jmo
Simple law of supply and demand. If KC offered mahomes a one year contract if he was FA then another team would offer him 2 and another 3 and so on....

Long term you spend.more money and lose more on one year contracts...as the price will go up exponentially if a player does good...

The folks advocating for one year contracts seem to be bitter about cowboys contracts. In the meantime lots of other teams make the right decisions...or more right decisions than wrong ones

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
As many of your posts that I disagree with, this is one that I totally support. It's just like Niija and others as to when I disagree or agree with their multitude of opinions, I can appreciate this side of yours.

The responding posts who disagree with your opinion here for quantifying getting paid millions to play a game I recommend they take up a rifle and stand a post on an E-1s monthly military paycheck, lol.

Excellent post.

jmo

Very few disagree that professional sports as a whole should not make the money they make compared to everyday jobs....But I would contend pay for first responders, teachers and Military as a whole is not reflective of the importance and/or Danger that comes with it either. Saying that the only thing I disagree with is anyone saying the NFL Owners are losing control...they win every CBA and its not even really close.

75boyz

Reaction score
Simple law of supply and demand. If KC offered mahomes a one year contract if he was FA then another team would offer him 2 and another 3 and so on....

Long term you spend.more money and lose more on one year contracts...as the price will go up exponentially if a player does good...

The folks advocating for one year contracts seem to be bitter about cowboys contracts. In the meantime lots of other teams make the right decisions...or more right decisions than wrong ones

Understood.
Quantifying said contracts based on not meeting production incentives/clauses was more where my point centered.
In other words, if a players year's worth of production didn't meet a base of positional markers for said position, then maybe a penalty of reducing said salary could be imposed.

Contracts with conditional asterisks that not only paid extra for reaching certain incentives but also penalized for not doing the same.

Merely a hypothetical but it kinda supports my view of matching annual pay for play criteria.

Eanwen

Reaction score

There seems to be a group of people who think workers (well, people other than themselves :rolleyes:) should only be paid enough so that they can survive hand to mouth.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
If everyone that thinks athletes or actors or anybody else makes too much money will please post their job descriptions and salaries, I'd appreciate it and would like to weigh in on what I think you're worth. I'll let you know in advance that if you're complaining about what someone else is earning, I already think you're probably overpaid.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If everyone that thinks athletes or actors or anybody else makes too much money will please post their job descriptions and salaries, I'd appreciate it and would like to weigh in on what I think you're worth. I'll let you know in advance that if you're complaining about what someone else is earning, I already think you're probably overpaid.

If a mulit billionaire gives me millions for a job I do....I'm not turning it down, feeling bad nor am I giving it back....thats for sure.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Very few disagree that professional sports as a whole should not make the money they make compared to everyday jobs....But I would contend pay for first responders, teachers and Military as a whole is not reflective of the importance and/or Danger that comes with it either. Saying that the only thing I disagree with is anyone saying the NFL Owners are losing control...they win every CBA and its not even really close.
its entertainment industry as a whole. the reason is they appeal to a large crowd and small money adds up to billions. if the audience was smaller, then they would get paid less, ala Men's soccer in the US.