Video: More Analytics (Mostly Zeke and Dak/RZ Stuff)

InTheZone

Reaction score
Name the 16 above him
You're speaking as if theres one and only one opinion allowed. We have enough of that problem in politics and the media.

Write your own list down of all starters plus any backups and I'm sure you can say there's about 5-10 guys who could swap with Dak and get the same or very similar results.

Why are we disagreeing so strongly about this? My opinion. Not "making stuff up", chill.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am. Difference is I don't care if we win a super bowl without either. For those who dont understand, it doesnt mean I dont care about winning a super bowl.
Almost confused me. I feel the same. I would like to win with them but if either leaves and we win the SB then ok. I am still hoisting my imaginary trophy SB night. Wearing my jersey and drunk.. Making sure I recorded it.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Lol.

Look at the QB stats for all QBs since 2016.
Look at the RB stats for all RBs since 2016.

I say 2016 because that’s all we have is since they came into the league. Don’t discount any year or make 1 year look worse or better than the other. For the most part they are both top 10 in there position. We should be happy.
I don't care about 4 seasons ago...I'm talking about now

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You're speaking as if theres one and only one opinion allowed. We have enough of that problem in politics and the media.

Write your own list down of all starters plus any backups and I'm sure you can say there's about 5-10 guys who could swap with Dak and get the same or very similar results.

Why are we disagreeing so strongly about this? My opinion. Not "making stuff up", chill.

Again, predictable. It's sad.

"You can fairly put 16 guys over Dak"
"Who"
"Doesn't list one person, but now lowers it from 16 to 5-10, and now it isnt someone being better it's equal or close to equal results"

Yikes this is bad.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
There are quite a few gutless members that love to give their non-backed opinions often, but when the rubber meets the road and they're asked to provide anything of substance they have to resort to word vomit that typically has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Back to quality over quantity, we need more quality posters.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't care about 4 seasons ago...I'm talking about now
What have you done for me lately. It’s a team game. But everyone is picking one player. It’s usually a QB or RB. No one on here argues about WR because we can’t make a argument for Cooper being #1.

For me and only IMO I look at the whole body of work before I say top 10. Unless someone says top 10 for 2019 or whatever year they pick.

I just want a SB ring man. This year. I don’t care about a possible blemish because of the virus.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There are quite a few gutless members that love to give their non-backed opinions often, but when the rubber meets the road and they're asked to provide anything of substance they have to resort to word vomit that typically has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Back to quality over quantity, we need more quality posters.
Am I being insulted. Gutless and no quality.

Eanwen

Reaction score
You know how they say the running game opens up the passing game, this year our passing game should open up the running game.

This is pretty much the horse the stat nerds like Jeff have been beating for awhile now. Dak does very well throwing on first downs, so obvs we ran more than passed on first downs. In this video he talks about how we ran more when the score was close than most teams in the league, and the fact that despite the fact Dak was 6/7 6 tds within the 10 yard line Cowboys still ran the ball more than any team.

I'll admit that it's possible these decisions were made because the coaching staff had doubts about Dak, or were incredibly confident in Zeke but I think it's more likely it was just Garrett being Garrett, trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Again, predictable. It's sad.

"You can fairly put 16 guys over Dak"
"Who"
"Doesn't list one person, but now lowers it from 16 to 5-10, and now it isnt someone being better it's equal or close to equal results"

Yikes this is bad.
Sorry, was driving home from work. I misspoke when I said 5-10 as I had meant to say excluding the top 5 you can most likely name 5-10 that you can swap with Dak and see the same results. Just wish people were less about "gotcha moments" and instead tried to understand the argument.

khiladi

Reaction score
I didn’t bother to watch it, but based on the comments, this is absurd.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.ht

Dak is mediocre in the red-zone when passing and the numbers are skewed from the first three games.

Although it is still a small sample size, Moore’s play calling appears to have improved the Cowboys red zone efficiency. In 2018, they converted 51.7% of their red zone opportunities (26th in the NFL). The were 1-2 against New Orleans. That brings their season total to 10-15 (67%).

The Dak led offenses ended up at 50% this year to end the season as well. And this despite Zeke’s top 5-10 performance in the red zone in terms of scoring and efficiency.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...dak-prescott-kellen-moore-new-orleans-saints/

People claim that the OCs limited Dak and not the other way around. In fact, ever since Dak has been here the OCs have been tasked with tailoring the offense to Dak’s limitations. Everybody gives him credit for 2016, but blame Linehan, as if he had no contributions.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...tt-kellen-moore-play-calling-third-and-short/

After three years as an NFL quarterback, Prescott still doesn’t routinely drop back into the pocket and throw the ball. He did it just twice against the Saints, twice versus Miami, twice in Washington, and three times in the season opener.

To put it another way: Prescott has 127 passing attempts through four games this season, but only nine have come after he dropped back from under center. That means that 118 of his attempts have come off play-action or from the shotgun (93%).

Imagine being an offensive coordinator and knowing that if you want to call a pass play that isn’t a wide receiver screen or quick slant, you basically have two options: use play-action from under center or have your quarterback start in the shotgun.

Smart offensive coordinators will obviously game plan around the strengths of their quarterback, but the flip side of that is offensive coordinators deserve some credit for disguising and minimizing the weaknesses of their quarterback.

Smart offensive coordinators will obviously game plan around the strengths of their quarterback, but the flip side of that is offensive coordinators deserve some credit for disguising and minimizing the weaknesses of their quarterback.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-offensive-struggles-cant-put-a-finger-on-it/

Lost in the shuffle of the Dallas Cowboys' three-game losing streak is the inconsistent play of the top-ranked offense (statistically) over the past 11 days. Dallas has scored just 48 points over the team's last three games (16 points per game), but even those numbers have been deceiving.

Dallas has gone five-plus possessions without scoring a touchdown over the past three games, displaying massive inconsistency on an offense that averages just 17.7 points per game against teams with winning records. During the three-game losing streak, the Cowboys are just 15 of 41 (36.6%) on third down and have just 98 rushing yards a game.

Dallas scored a touchdown on its opening drive in its last two games. In the loss to the Bills, the Cowboys went eight consecutive possessions without a touchdown before scoring one when the game was well out of hand. Thursday night, the Cowboys went five consecutive possessions without scoring a touchdown, having four three-and-outs during the stretch and gaining a total of six yards.

The Cowboys haven't given the ball to Ezekiel Elliott either, who has just 52 carries over the past three games. Dallas has thrown the ball 131 times to just 67 designed runs, passing 66.2% of the time. Not good for a team that gave Elliott a six-year, $90 million contract three months ago.

Pretty obvious why Dallas has been inconsistent on offense against good football teams, which leads to why they are 0-6 against teams against winning records in the first place.

Same problem in college when he starts to feel the pressure.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...tent-footwork-is-impeding-the-cowboys-offense

When Dak has a clean pocket and has the time to set his feet, more times than not - he’s going to deliver a good ball. However, when he senses pressure and starts throwing off balance, he starts misfiring. Earlier in the season, Prescott was a lot more consistent with his footwork. He kept his feet moving, always re-directing them towards his target. Once he settled in on where he was going to throw it, he just stepped forward and delivered a strike.

But these consistencies haven’t been on display in recent weeks. Against the Bears, his footwork was all over the place. Many times, he left his stance too open, throwing off balance and forcing his arms to do all the work. The result ended up being wobbly passes and balls delivered just late enough for the defenders to knock them down.

Prescott also threw too much off his back foot. There are times when he can put the sweetest touch on the ball when he’s throwing off balance, but that’s not ideal and he should limit those instances. Sometimes those passes are just terrible throws and give his receivers no chance.

What can be really frustrating is when Dak feels congestion in the pocket, rather than sidestep to give him room to step up and make a good throw, he just decides to take his chances and launch it off his back foot. This results in passes that are difficult for his receivers to bring in, often times sailing away from them.

And this idea that Dak is more successful on first down passing is not even justified. First of all, Linehan called pass more as a percentile than Moore on first down and he ran a lot more. Secondly, there were games Dallas threw way more on first down, but they faced good defenses. Third, in the first three games, the ration was skewed heavily in favor of running on first down. Fourth, even since Linehan and Dak, Dallas has been top of the league in play action usage, so this idea he’s more successful on play-action compared to other QBs is absurd. The guy hardly uses a five or seven-step drop, meaning he is a limitation in the passing game. Romo for example, rarely used play action, though that number increased with Linehan. Garrett as a play-caller completely ignored it

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...dak-prescott-kellen-moore-new-orleans-saints/

There are several major differences in these numbers compared to previous weeks. In Week 4, the Cowboys actually had more passing attempts (12 including play-action) than rushing attempts (nine).

But if you take away the 11 yards on the sack and the 10 yards lost on the penalty, that is only 37 net yards on 11 first-down passing attempts (three yards per attempt). 3.3 yards per pass attempt isn’t much better than 2.1 yards per rushing attempt.

Who is holding who down more?

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
It has to happen quick in the red zone. The Cowboys Offense seems to take a minute where ever they are unless they use the hurry up. Other wise even in the red zone there is a delay after the ball is snapped. The decision needs to be made and done.

If he is gonna pass then you can’t go through a bunch of progressions. Hand it off on the wham play or hit that quick throw. Don’t wait to clear the back and drag. If so then roll out give the threat of him running it or flipping it. To much talent to hang out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Really interesting info re: passing analytics, specifically in the redzone. Will the trend continue?

and yes this is a not so subtle [] sux thread. :cool:

Good Red Zone stat on the lack of passes in the face of how effective we were when we did it. Reeks of Garrett.

We've got a stout running QB who throws great on the move. The red zone should be all about options for Dak based on reads. Hand off to Zeke or keep. Roll out and run or throw. Simple, safe decisions playing to our strengths.

We should be awesome near the goal line, but coaching screws us.

As for Zeke, I wish he had given the numbers, but that Zeke is not looking great relative to top runners is not a surprise. *Some* of that is Garrett's predictably running Zeke, as above. Some of that is Zeke just not being that dynamic.

Pollard had higher ypc than Zeke last year, Morris higher in 2017. It's not apples to apples, because doubtless defenses worked harder to stop Zeke, but it's another sign that Zeke aint all that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It has to happen quick in the red zone. The Cowboys Offense seems to take a minute where ever they are unless they use the hurry up. Other wise even in the red zone there is a delay after the ball is snapped. The decision needs to be made and done.

If he is gonna pass then you can’t go through a bunch of progressions. Hand it off on the wham play or hit that quick throw. Don’t wait to clear the back and drag. If so then roll out give the threat of him running it or flipping it. To much talent to hang out.

You can take time if your roll out the QB and isolate a receiver running on his side. And we just so happen to have a QB who runs and throws on the run well.

I don't like quick passes on a short, crowded field. That's how the Seahawks blew a SB. Run/Play action to Zeke, roll out, and run or pass, all based on reads. Very safe and plays to our strengths.