Video: More Analytics (Mostly Zeke and Dak/RZ Stuff)

fivetwos

Reaction score
Last season, when the staff had the stones to put Pollard in for a series, the change of pace as far as quickness was astounding.

Elliott is a good, dependable, but overpaid back who isnt the threat he once was.

Period.

I'm on record as not liking him and I never will, but that assessment is accurate. Sorry.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t get this mentality. What we want is for our best players (this case being Zeke) to maximize their potential. He’s got the talent to do it.

Hard for the team to win when your best players are simply one of the best when they should be THE BEST hands down.

It’s like many Cowboys fans have higher expectations from their overachieving JAGs like Jeff Heath but settle for underachieving stars because they are the least of our problems. The stars need to start becoming the solution to our problems.
Not at all. I think Zeke is fine. I think he's maximizing his potential. I'm just saying if he's truly as bad as his doubters and people don't like him think he is.....he's producing at a high level.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Zeke can only drag around that anchor dak tied around his legs so far. heck, if he had a QB that was a concern to the opponent's defense he might be able to do something.
sorta like in 16, before people figured out dak.
A QB throws for almost 5k, and this is what ya got? :laugh: I'm not arguing with you, I'm just suggesting there are better arguments. Zeke can improve, Dak isn't Mahomes, but by no means is he some trash QB. Perhaps you should look back to seasons without Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo, and Dak. Seriously, not arguing. Just saying. Dak isn't THAT bad.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Blocks, catches, runs, stays healthy, and remains the subject for this sort of discussion, because he's that good. What the heck do you want? :omg: I swear, Dallas fans look for something to cry about. Someone even mentioned Pollard like he could carry those jobs. :laugh:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not at all. I think Zeke is fine. I think he's maximizing his potential. I'm just saying if he's truly as bad as his doubters and people don't like him think he is.....he's producing at a high level.
Sure he is “fine” and he is producing at a high level. We will have to disagree on him maximizing his potential though.. Hell, even Zeke admitted he needed to do better. I want more than fine from Zeke when I feel he has the talent to do so. But maybe he just isn’t as good as people claimed he was coming out of college and what we saw on 2016 was fool’s gold.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You can take time if your roll out the QB and isolate a receiver running on his side. And we just so happen to have a QB who runs and throws on the run well.

I don't like quick passes on a short, crowded field. That's how the Seahawks blew a SB. Run/Play action to Zeke, roll out, and run or pass, all based on reads. Very safe and plays to our strengths.
Lmao. I bet wilson wishes he had that one back. That play has JG written all over it. We will totally fool them by passing it. He hands that off and they win. Even brady thought they lost the game. The pats had very very slim chance of stopping that beast. I thought for a second wilson was taking it in himself. Some times you have to keep it simple. But yes rolling Dak out is best. Roll Elliot out with him and can flip it to him or take it himself or a WR running across with him. And I would use a hurry up in the red zone more..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Last season, when the staff had the stones to put Pollard in for a series, the change of pace as far as quickness was astounding.

Elliott is a good, dependable, but overpaid back who isnt the threat he once was.

Period.

I'm on record as not liking him and I never will, but that assessment is accurate. Sorry.
Could give Pollard more chances this year. May help Elliot hungry. But I am still mad at him for the fumble in the egirls game. Took what wind we had.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Could give Pollard more chances this year. May help Elliot hungry. But I am still mad at him for the fumble in the egirls game. Took what wind we had.
Yeah but tap out boy did his part first.

I'm pissed at em both, until I realize that Jerry gets to bring back his mismosh dysfunctional staff back if they win that one.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah but tap out boy did his part first.

I'm pissed at em both, until I realize that Jerry gets to bring back his mismosh dysfunctional staff back if they win that one.
Yeah. That game would have bought JG another year and I think the players were ready for him to go. ST was terrible and JG did next to nothing
about it. That may have sealed it. We should have had that division wrapped up before that game..

InTheZone

Reaction score

Period.

Look at it like this. Zeke has to pace himself for a game. Pollard just goes 100% in his limited opportunities. We've already seen this story with Marion Barber.

Take a pro boxer in round 9 vs a fresh amateur, I'm sure people will share the same perception as you with zeke, like somehow the pro is overrated.

Pollard has already shown his questionable durability and fumbling in limited touches. All the pro-Pollards here conveniently go silent for a week when that happens.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lmao. I bet wilson wishes he had that one back. That play has JG written all over it. We will totally fool them by passing it. He hands that off and they win. Even brady thought they lost the game. The pats had very very slim chance of stopping that beast. I thought for a second wilson was taking it in himself. Some times you have to keep it simple. But yes rolling Dak out is best. Roll Elliot out with him and can flip it to him or take it himself or a WR running across with him. And I would use a hurry up in the red zone more..

I like your idea about the hurry up in the red zone. I like it generally. The kind of hurry up where you get to the line quickly, and pick the play from there. Let Moore see the defense, make the call, and Dak take the options based on reads. Dak would be pretty good at that, I bet.

On Wilson, I live in Seattle and have had this discussion many times before. Time was running out. By throwing a pass instead of running, they could get more downs to attempt a TD.

The problem was the play attempted. About the worst you could imagine. A quick bang bang with multiple players in the same area moving in different directions in a crowded and obscured field.

Wilson is the best guy in the league for rolling out and doing a run/pass option on an isolated receiver running parallel to him. I can't think of a QB I'd trust more to do that. As safe a bite at the apple as you can get, with the best QB in the league for it. And how *hard* do you think they bite at a play action to the Beast in that situation, a run *everybody* in the universe says they should have done instead? Wilson might have just strolled in on his bootleg entirely unopposed.

Instead, they go *shotgun* and throw a risky pass in the middle of the field, when their WRs are the weakest part of their offense.

Worst play call ever. Not because it was a pass. Because it was about the worst pass play they could have called, playing to the precise weaknesses of their personnel and field position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Look at it like this. Zeke has to pace himself for a game. Pollard just goes 100% in his limited opportunities. We've already seen this story with Marion Barber.

Hence use both, and you get more out of both. Zeke can stay fresher and play harder if they don't bell cow him.

The parallel to Barber is weak. Pollard is not a Beast Mode player. He's a fast player with great contact balance who avoids and bounces off hits instead of bludgeoning his way through the defense. Barber would run out of gas because you can't play at 110% a full game.

It is unclear if Pollar can handle a bell cow load. I'd think not, at least over a season, as you have to be something of a genetic freak to do it. But I expect he beefs up a bit this offseason, and could easily be a feature back paired with a short yardage bludgeoner.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Hence use both, and you get more out of both. Zeke can stay fresher and play harder if they don't bell cow him.

The parallel to Barber is weak. Pollard is not a Beast Mode player. He's a fast player with great contact balance who avoids and bounces off hits instead of bludgeoning his way through the defense. Barber would run out of gas because you can't play at 110% a full game.

It is unclear if Pollar can handle a bell cow load. I'd think not, at least over a season, as you have to be something of a genetic freak to do it. But I expect he beefs up a bit this offseason, and could easily be a feature back paired with a short yardage bludgeoner.
I'll just assume the few times Pollard was banged up and questionable in his limited role as enough proof he can't be a bellcow. And while Barber and Pollard are different style backs doesn't mean that both haven't play their best against a gassed defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'll just assume the few times Pollard was banged up and questionable in his limited role as enough proof he can't be a bellcow. And while Barber and Pollard are different style backs doesn't mean that both haven't play their best against a gassed defense.

You go ahead and assume whatever makes you feel good. Players are often on the injury report with nicks and bumps. Pollard was available for every game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
the best thing about a new coaching staff is that there's no pet players. Just have to let it play out to see what they believe is the best fit.

Best thing about a new coaching staff is that Garrett is gone.

Though I think Zeke has lost a step, Garrett did him no favors by doggedly running Zeke when it wasn't working, and Zeke's ypc should rebound some without that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Those that think Zeke being able to carry the ball a bunch of time is impressive and makes him elite are blissfully ignorant.

Those that watch multiple RBs throughout the season and can honestly compare Zeke to his peers on a per snap basis knew Zeke wasnt going to compare favorably in analytics. It's no surprise.

He hasn't been elite for three seasons now.
This is completely and wholly inaccurate and exactly zero people who have played football believe this.

How much you can carry a football is VERY IMPORTANT.
Being available play in and play out and not having weaknesses is why you pay big time RBs, not because they average 7 yards per carry on 4 carries a game.

Zeke has over 1100 more NFL yards rushing across the 4 years he has played than ANYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

Zeke had a slightly down year in year 4 where he missed all of training camp and was merely the 3rd or 4th best back in the league.

The biggest issue with analytics is data has to be understood in context and never exists in a vacuum.
For instance Carson Wentz won a Super Bowl and Dan Marino did not!!
So CW is better right? Or for that matter Jason Garrett won MULTIPLE SBs so is better than Marino and all QBs who have only one 1??
Context matters.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Best thing about a new coaching staff is that Garrett is gone.

Though I think Zeke has lost a step, Garrett did him no favors by doggedly running Zeke when it wasn't working, and Zeke's ypc should rebound some without that.
All backs lose a step after so many carries.
But speed is one of the least important yet wildly overrated RB traits.

DAL is built around a home run hitting passing attack and a grinding Zeke.
Punch the defense in the mouth with Zeke than make them defend Amari, Gallup, Lamb.

Zeke will face fewer and fewer stacked boxes.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This is completely and wholly inaccurate and exactly zero people who have played football believe this.

How much you can carry a football is VERY IMPORTANT.
Being available play in and play out and not having weaknesses is why you pay big time RBs, not because they average 7 yards per carry on 4 carries a game.

Zeke has over 1100 more NFL yards rushing across the 4 years he has played than ANYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

Zeke had a slightly down year in year 4 where he missed all of training camp and was merely the 3rd or 4th best back in the league.

The biggest issue with analytics is data has to be understood in context and never exists in a vacuum.
For instance Carson Wentz won a Super Bowl and Dan Marino did not!!
So CW is better right? Or for that matter Jason Garrett won MULTIPLE SBs so is better than Marino and all QBs who have only one 1??
Context matters.

I've played football, being able to carry the ball a bunch of times still doesn't make you elite.

Stay ignorant, if you must.

Your Wentz won a SB while Marino didn't example for downplaying analytics, might be the cutest **** I've seen said on here, stupid as hell but also cute.Do you even know what analytics are?
Analytics give context, while bulk stats don't.

"Analytics need to be understood in context, ZEKE HAS 1100 MORE YARDS THAN ANYONE ELSE" Those being in the same post is truly frightening lol.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Typical reaction from a zeke supporter who refuses to acknowledge he isn’t all that. All the stats are worthless except total yards but he’s “elite“ because he jumped in a kettle and racks up yards against the worst defenses in the league while running behind one of the best run blocking lines in the league.

lil baby zeke demands you respect him :rolleyes: :lmao: what a chump, lol. How pathetic that he feels he needs to go to social media to ask to be respected.
The Cowboys run blocking has been middle of the league at best the past 3 years.
Analytics that are basically brand new with no proven ability to distinguish anything over time are questionable at best.
The NFL has used rushing yards as success metric for 40 years and for good reason.
Yards, TDs scored and such are firm and proven.