More Mini-Camp Photos......DMN

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mr. (not Jerry) Jones said:
I only managed to play one year before mono took me down for the next two seasons and by senior year I was just too small and too far behind. I love the game, but almost all the kids out there probably know more about actually playing the game then i do, I wouldn't feel right trying to coach them. I do thank you for the advice though, and your insight on most things football, even when I don't agree.
Hell, it's more fun when we don't agree. if you don't think you could coach at the HS level start even lower. Kids always need volunteers. It makes ahuge difference in every kid's life. To this day, my favorite coach was a guy who only knew one thing but told great stories and kept you loose. You can make a difference.

jay cee

Reaction score
Qcard said:
My analysis on the picture.

It just another picture amongst the numerous showing Carter and Vinny practicing , talking , walking and laughing together.

Last offseason Parcells assigned Richie Anderson to Quincy Carter. Or maybe Carter attached himself to Richie.

Makes you go hmmmmmm :cool:

I have thought the same thing QCard.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
jay cee said:
I have thought the same thing QCard.
shhhh Keep quite the class is studying mechanics.

Next mini-camp will go through mentorship ;)

BlindFaith

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You play the way you practice. I HATE the Iverson, "It's only practice," mindset.

I seriously doubt that Parcells views ANY drill as unimportant, and the surest way to lose your job is to just go through the motions on a drill.

I'm not saying that they are just going through the motions.

What I am saying is that the drill is designed to get back in the rhythm of handing off the football. Not tripping over your own feet. You know, getting back into the grove.

There are only a couple real fundamentals of handing of the ball.

1. Get the ball to the running back.
2. Don't get in the way of the running back.

Bent arm, straight arm, straight legs, bent legs, angled ball, flat ball is all irrelevant.

The footwork all depends on the play being called.

Draws will be taken deep.

Traps and dives are quick hitters and require the QB to only open up and hand it off.

Off tackles will require the QB to reach a little more to get the ball to the running back.

The key is to keep what ever motion you use consistent enough to sell the play action.

This was a warm up drill and nothing more. If these QBs don't know how to hand a ball off by now then we're in deeper trouble than we all think.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTuna, next time I will keep this private via PM. Anyone else who is really interested is free to ask as well. I don't mind sharing what I know with someone who is really interested in discussing it.

I am tired of the childishness though.

blindzebra

Reaction score
BlindFaith said:
I'm not saying that they are just going through the motions.

What I am saying is that the drill is designed to get back in the rhythm of handing off the football. Not tripping over your own feet. You know, getting back into the grove.

There are only a couple real fundamentals of handing of the ball.

1. Get the ball to the running back.
2. Don't get in the way of the running back.

Bent arm, straight arm, straight legs, bent legs, angled ball, flat ball is all irrelevant.

The footwork all depends on the play being called.

Draws will be taken deep.

Traps and dives are quick hitters and require the QB to only open up and hand it off.

Off tackles will require the QB to reach a little more to get the ball to the running back.

The key is to keep what ever motion you use consistent enough to sell the play action.

This was a warm up drill and nothing more. If these QBs don't know how to hand a ball off by now then we're in deeper trouble than we all think.

What I'm saying is under Parcells there is no such thing as a warm up drill. If you are competing for a job every drill needs to be run like it is your last.

jay cee

Reaction score
Qcard said:
shhhh Keep quite the class is studying mechanics.

Next mini-camp will go through mentorship ;)

Gotcha dude, I can't wait to see the analysts break that down. :D

BlindFaith

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
What I'm saying is under Parcells there is no such thing as a warm up drill. If you are competing for a job every drill needs to be run like it is your last.

Great, next we'll be breaking down jumping jacks and high knees.

blindzebra

Reaction score
BlindFaith said:
Great, next we'll be breaking down jumping jacks and high knees.

You don't think that Bill is watching how Allen and Gurode look in conditioning drills and sprints? ;)

BlindFaith

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You don't think that Bill is watching how Allen and Gurode look in conditioning drills and sprints? ;)

Whatever dude. I should have stayed in lurker mode.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BlindFaith said:
Whatever dude. I should have stayed in lurker mode.
I for one am glad you are posting.

It's a simple difference in how people see stuff. No need to go back into lurk mode.

Enjoy.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Hostile said:

It's a simple difference in how people see stuff. No need to go back into lurk mode.

Enjoy.

I thought it was a good point about Allen and Gurode, and that reaction was a tad over sensitive.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Enjoy.

OK...I'll give you all one more chance.

band.gif

BlindFaith

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I thought it was a good point about Allen and Gurode, and that reaction was a tad over sensitive.

Yup, that's me...Mr Sensitive.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I am positive it was side by side reference drills because just about every team runs them for that purpose and I have been involved in them hundreds of times.

Well, that part's obvious. But I'm curious about how anyone could tell from a picture who was calling the cadence.

I am not saying "perfectly synchronized." I am saying with good or proper mechanics. I doubt many QBs could get rid of the ball as fast as Marino but I would expect soem to drop back faster than he did, etc.

They obviously aren't perfectly synchronized, and Quincy seems to be slightly behind Vinny in the running of the play. Why? We don't know. Maybe they were going on their own cadences, maybe his center didn't snap the ball on time, maybe he bobbled the snap, maybe he was running a different "half-speed" than Vinny, maybe Vinny was going full-speed and Quincy was going half-speed or three-quarter speed. Nobody knows any of that from a picture. And neither do we know that, a split-second after this picture was snapped, Quincy didn't look any different from the way Vinny looks in the picture -- head pointed at the ghost-RB's chest, left foot out, left arm extended, ball higher and turned sideways. He's obviously in the process of sticking out his left arm and picking up and moving his left foot. And I'm guessing they're both going toward the ghost runner.

This is why teams videotape practices instead of having a photographer go around snapping still photos.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Actually, if anyone saw ESPN when they were showing Warner and Manning doing the same type of thing, they were actually WAAAY off from one another. In fact, Manning did a pump fake and then threw the ball, while Warner made no pump fake and threw the ball.

They showed quite a few different reps of these with the coach barking out "Hut!"

I honestly don't think this is any "competitive" thing as far as who looks better getting the job done. It may have to do with mechanics to a point, but if anyone else saw it (on ESPN), it was obvious that they were just working on "out" plays to the WR's.

I guess you would have had to see it to really understand what I am talking about.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Well, that part's obvious. But I'm curious about how anyone could tell from a picture who was calling the cadence.

They obviously aren't perfectly synchronized, and Quincy seems to be slightly behind Vinny in the running of the play. Why? We don't know. Maybe they were going on their own cadences, maybe his center didn't snap the ball on time, maybe he bobbled the snap, maybe he was running a different "half-speed" than Vinny, maybe Vinny was going full-speed and Quincy was going half-speed or three-quarter speed. Nobody knows any of that from a picture. And neither do we know that, a split-second after this picture was snapped, Quincy didn't look any different from the way Vinny looks in the picture -- head pointed at the ghost-RB's chest, left foot out, left arm extended, ball higher and turned sideways. He's obviously in the process of sticking out his left arm and picking up and moving his left foot. And I'm guessing they're both going toward the ghost runner.

This is why teams videotape practices instead of having a photographer go around snapping still photos.

Halleluya! I know you and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, Adam, but you hit the nail on the head with this one.

By the way, I saw an old photo of myself opening a door today, but I swear it looks like I was doing the "Macarena", but it can't be true cuz the pic was taken before the "Macarena" dance was created, and I never knew how to do that dance anyway.

but it looks like I was doing the macarena so it MUST of been that I was doing the macarena, right?

:rolleyes: