Video: More on Eligible Receivers - Detroit was copying a Belicheat Play Made Illegal

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.
What do ad hominem mean?

So many people are simply incapable of discussing the issue on the merits.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Someone else has a video.

Claims that the "error" by the refs could not have been fixed by Detroit because correcting the refs would have required a timeout.

He says that's a dumb rule. And I have some sympathy for that. But letting a team stop the clock without a timeout seems something easily gamed, so I can see the league not wanting to allow it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Someone else has a video.

Claims that the "error" by the refs could not have been fixed by Detroit because correcting the refs would have required a timeout.

He says that's a dumb rule. And I have some sympathy for that. But letting a team stop the clock without a timeout seems something easily gamed, so I can see the league not wanting to allow it.

If Goff or the eligible player were to approach the ref, the ref would have corrected his announcement and instruction.

It was a dead ball and the play clock (not game clock) hadn’t started. Even if the play clock were wound, in that time, the lions could have easily clarified.

In that case there is a long history of officials correcting a player number or the location of the ball or a change to the clock. They then restart the 25 second play clock.

But, for reasons of their own, out of ignorance that the designation was reported by the ref incorrectly or if they hoped their trickery had worked, they ran their play.

The mistake was on the ref but the lions didn’t help themselves by creating a Benny Hill routine

movaughn88

Reaction score

What did the lions catch when ceedee fumbled out the end zone (score there and we blow them out by 20+ points) or when the game was extended an extra drive with the wrong tripping call?

Way bigger breaks. Then they tried to wander into belichick’s dark-grey areas of bending the rules and it blew up in their face.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Then simply clearly explain the break. Tell us what rules weren’t followed or misapplied that helped us?

Had they announced who was eligible he wouldn’t been guarded. My evidence for this is the guy that they announced eligible was guarded.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I just don’t understand how this was a break for the cowboys. If presnap an official tells you a specific player cannot catch a pass, then that same player runs a route why wouldn’t that player be wide open?

doomsday9084

Reaction score

The referees announced that 70 was eligible and the Cowboys guarded 70. When 68 caught the ball, Detroit got flagged. If anything, the refs actually doing something correctly that benefits the Cowboys being a surprise and "a break" for the Cowboys sure sounds like you think that the refs are normally biased against Dallas.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Funny thing is, they could have had 5 lineman talking to the ref, the ref is still going to tell the d who is eligible. They probably made the D more alert to a trick play by having 3 lineman talking to him. If 68 was announced he would have been covered. Dallas didn't catch a break.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
People should be thanking Campbell for going for 2 because I don't think we win in OT.
I do.. Aside from the prevent defense series our defense had pretty much controlled their offense. Meanwhile Dak and CeeDee were having their defense for lunch. The only thing that kept the Cowboys from being up multiple scores was shooting themselves in the foot. With renewed focus in OT I think they march right down the field and win it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Funny thing is, they could have had 5 lineman talking to the ref, the ref is still going to tell the d who is eligible. They probably made the D more alert to a trick play by having 3 lineman talking to him. If 68 was announced he would have been covered. Dallas didn't catch a break.
No amount of factual evidence will get people who are dug in on their Cowboy hate to acknowledge this.

Lutonio

Reaction score
They did catch a break, but the actual break was Campbell being an idiot and coaching a bad game.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If Goff or the eligible player were to approach the ref, the ref would have corrected his announcement and instruction.

It was a dead ball and the play clock (not game clock) hadn’t started. Even if the play clock were wound, in that time, the lions could have easily clarified.

In that case there is a long history of officials correcting a player number or the location of the ball or a change to the clock. They then restart the 25 second play clock.

But, for reasons of their own, out of ignorance that the designation was reported by the ref incorrectly or if they hoped their trickery had worked, they ran their play.

The mistake was on the ref but the lions didn’t help themselves by creating a Benny Hill routine
I’m willing to bet that had the play not worked. You wouldn’t have seen any emotion from the sideline. They were hoping they’d pulled a fast one.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Did we catch a break on the tripping play with 2:05 left? The game was over, 2point conversion doesn't happen.