Video: More on Eligible Receivers - Detroit was copying a Belicheat Play Made Illegal

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I still don’t understand how this was a play intended to trick or deceive Dallas. The defense doesn’t have to figure out who’s eligible on these plays. The refs tell them presnap and announce it to the entire stadium. Sucks for Detroit if the ref got it wrong. Officials screw up all the time and it’s a part of the game. So if the intent was deception, they only succeeded in tricking the officials not the Cowboys.
IMO, Campbell thought he could point back to pregame, and in the confusion the ref would give them the call. And if not, kick the XP except his stubbornness got the better of him. Schefter said the other nite another teams executive told him that’s exactly what he was trying to do, confuse the refs in the hope he’d say it was his error and give them the conversion.

Flamma

Reaction score
Tough to say. Part of what has made the whole thing so particularly confusing is whether the formation would have been legal if the intended players were eligible. I don’t actually know which player drew the flag for the formation.
Had they got it right with 68 being eligible, the formation was fine. But being that they called 70 as reporting, both sides of the formation was illegal.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, Campbell thought he could point back to pregame, and in the confusion the ref would give them the call. And if not, kick the XP except his stubbornness got the better of him. Schefter said the other nite another teams executive told him that’s exactly what he was trying to do, confuse the refs in the hope he’d say it was his error and give them the conversion.
I actually think if they gave the conversion to Detroit after not announcing it properly , that would have been a much bigger problem for the league. My guess is that it’s like that phantom tripping call. Not reviewable.

JustChip

Reaction score
I actually think if they gave the conversion to Detroit after not announcing it properly , that would have been a much bigger problem for the league. My guess is that it’s like that phantom tripping call. Not reviewable.
I agree. The League has an officiating problem, in perception if not actual.

The solution is very simple - make any call or non-call challengeable. It was so nice yesterday to watch the 2 BCS semi-final games with attention given to get every call correct. I don’t see that the NFL has to go to that degree, but it is unconscionable that the NFL refuses takes even reasonable steps to address their problem.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.
That might be true if the refs didn't tell the Cowboys and announce that 70 was eligible.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.
Did we catch a break on the tripping penalty. I am not sure how you can say we caught a break when the Officiating crew announced 70 as the eligible player. Refs made a correctable mistake that could have been corrected by the Lions pre-snap but we did not "catch a break". They heard the 70 being called eligible but chose to see if they could get away with it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I still don’t understand how we caught a break. If the ref announces 68 eligible, the defense is now focused on him and the only 2 other guys eligible. That reception has Almost zero chance of occurring if the defense is told the correct player.

links18

Reaction score
What exactly is the problem with "weird deception"? We are taking it for granted that had the refs announced the guy who caught it, we would have prevented the TD. Who knows what would have happened?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If Goff or the eligible player were to approach the ref, the ref would have corrected his announcement and instruction.

It was a dead ball and the play clock (not game clock) hadn’t started. Even if the play clock were wound, in that time, the lions could have easily clarified.

In that case there is a long history of officials correcting a player number or the location of the ball or a change to the clock. They then restart the 25 second play clock.

But, for reasons of their own, out of ignorance that the designation was reported by the ref incorrectly or if they hoped their trickery had worked, they ran their play.

The mistake was on the ref but the lions didn’t help themselves by creating a Benny Hill routine
This 100% you dont just run the play and throw to a guy YOU KNOW has not been deemed elegible by the refs..

TWOK11

Reaction score

I still fail to see how it’s a break when the only reason the play worked was because of the issue in question. It’s not as if it was a bad call that bailed out a play that was going to be successful regardless, like a holding call on a receiver on the opposite side of the field. The Lions only converted because Dallas had no reason to believe Decker was eligible and didn’t cover him. Had the correct number been announced, Dallas would have and the play fails.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Except they didn’t. Whatever happened before, the Cowboys were told that 70 was eligible and they played the try accordingly. We have no idea how the try would have gone if they had been told 68 was eligible, but we know for sure that Dallas would have played it differently.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Tough to say. Part of what has made the whole thing so particularly confusing is whether the formation would have been legal if the intended players were eligible. I don’t actually know which player drew the flag for the formation.
I believe it was #70 as he set up on the inside of 68 and would have been in the tackle position. I think

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Lions thought the refs would not call them on it. Skipper messed up and performed his muscle memory response to signal the ref. They wanted Dallas to be confused between 58 and 68, 68 to subtly report, and after they heard the announcement that 70 reported they rolled the dice that the refs would not flag it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
People should be thanking Campbell for going for 2 because I don't think we win in OT.
Thought about that too. Hard to tell. Very physical team, so it was going all over the place. They weren't a Seattle and burning us non-stop. They also weren't a Buffalo and we couldn't stop the run at all. I think I was most worried that their defense was another team once again giving our O-Line some fits, and we couldn't run to save our lives.

blueblood70

Reaction score
People should be thanking Campbell for going for 2 because I don't think we win in OT.
Actually I think we do and that's what Dan Campbell was worried about we were finding our stride on offense if we didn't get screwed on the tripping call we would have ran the clock down too far for them to even have an opportunity at that drive so we were already screwed on the ghost tripping call that should have went against them not us so it wasn't just a bad call on us it was a call in the wrong team that stopped the clock gave them a free time out put us back behind the change and forced us to throw the football+

we were at home and I believe Dan Campbell saw our offense heating up and he didn't want any part of overtime that was a dumb move on his part he should have took it into overtime that wasn't lucky for us that was lucky for him you can say all you want about our team but we were at home and then overtime I think our offense was finding its stride already on that last drive had we not got screwed by a bad ghost tripping call that went their way gave them that break people keep forgetting to mention that we wouldn't be talking about this because I don't believe they would have scored had that call not been made...

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lions thought the refs would not call them on it. Skipper messed up and performed his muscle memory response to signal the ref. They wanted Dallas to be confused between 58 and 68, 68 to subtly report, and after they heard the announcement that 70 reported they rolled the dice that the refs would not flag it.
I'm glad the refs did their jobs. Never thought I'd say that.

Creeper

Reaction score

Of course we caught a break. We caught a break when Goff missed the throw to a wide open TE on the last play. We caught a break when Campbell decided to go for two 3 times instead of tying the game.

We also gave the Lions some breaks. The Tripping call for one. The pass Dak threw out of bounds to stop the clock. When one team makes a dumb mistake, the other team benefits.

But the question we are debating is whether the refs call was legitimate or not. If the call was legitimate, then it is a break but it is not different than any penalty called during the game that gives the other team an benefit. I think if the refs made a bad mistake and gave the Cowboys the victory, it's different.

Mostly we are debating here whether the play was called correctly or not, and this video brings up some interesting points about the sprit of the rules, which is what I have been harping on all week.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course we caught a break. We caught a break when Goff missed the throw to a wide open TE on the last play. We caught a break when Campbell decided to go for two 3 times instead of tying the game.

We also gave the Lions some breaks. The Tripping call for one. The pass Dak threw out of bounds to stop the clock. When one team makes a dumb mistake, the other team benefits.

But the question we are debating is whether the refs call was legitimate or not. If the call was legitimate, then it is a break but it is not different than any penalty called during the game that gives the other team an benefit. I think if the refs made a bad mistake and gave the Cowboys the victory, it's different.

Mostly we are debating here whether the play was called correctly or not, and this video brings up some interesting points about the sprit of the rules, which is what I have been harping on all week.
We didn't give them the tripping call. The refs just got it wrong.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree, except for one thing. When an ineligible player reports as eligible, the ref informs the defense of it. If the refs informed the Cowboys #70 reported as eligible rather than #68, then the Cowboys defended that play based on false info. Accordingly, if the proper info had been conveyed to the Cowboys that play may have gone differently