Signed by Cowboys Morris signs 2-yr deal with Cowboys

CWR

Reaction score
Why does this team insist on retread RBs instead of drafting young RBs with talent and fresh legs? DMac had good stats but he was not an impact player at all. Morris will struggle to be that good: I guess they believe anybody can run behind this line.

We went one year without drafting a dang rb! Come on man, Randle was drafted, Murray before that, Barber and Julius before them. Give me a break, the draft didn't fall thier way for a RB last year and we lost out on Rowls.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Good signing. Fits the system well, physical downhill runner, and doesn't have injury problems.

stiletto

Reaction score
Too many defensive holes to fix to even consider a RB now given DMC's production last year + the addition of Alf. RB is no longer an issue. Gotta go all in on Defense OR a QB if they believe he is a potential franchise QB. Hopefully we never draft this high again. Might as well get the absolute best player who can start and upgrade someone right away or draft for the eventual Romo replacement. The QB is the only position at #4 that could site for a couple years. Anyone else had better START immediately.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I like this signing actually.................pairing him with McFadden and Dunbar being the 3rd down back sounds pretty good to me.

I would still not rule out a RB in the first couple of rounds however.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We will definitely be a better short yardage team with Morris. I mean that is a lock, considering our two other running backs.
It would be fun to watch Morris' short-yardage numbers get the same kind of boost from our OL that McFadden's did.

Short-Yardage Runs
career conversion rate
Morris 23 of 34 67.6%
McFadden
--(pre-Dallas) 14 of 30 46.7%
--(with Dallas) 13 of 17 76.5%

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many defensive holes to fix to even consider a RB now given DMC's production last year + the addition of Alf. RB is no longer an issue. Gotta go all in on Defense OR a QB if they believe he is a potential franchise QB. Hopefully we never draft this high again. Might as well get the absolute best player who can start and upgrade someone right away or draft for the eventual Romo replacement. The QB is the only position at #4 that could site for a couple years. Anyone else had better START immediately.

That's exactly right.

I couldn't believe I read where someone still thinks the Cowboys should still take a RB #4...

Were they watching a different team last year???

I thought RB in the 1st round was a reach BEFORE they signed Morris. Now I think it's off the table for the entire draft.

You've got (at the moment) 9 picks...

As of right now I think a QB is selected at #4 (probably Goff)... And I reserve the right to change my mind repeatedly between now and the draft (Prescott could still be in play in the 3rd round).

But for the other 8 picks?

-G/C
-DE
-DT
-CB
-S
-WR
-OLB
-FB

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dropping to 4.1 and then 3.7 the next two years could mean he's in decline, but I don't know if there's enough evidence just from the YPC to determine that.
Poor QB play limited defenses from defending the pass. We had the OL to overcome that. Commanders don't.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does this team insist on retread RBs instead of drafting young RBs with talent and fresh legs?
Geez dude the draft is next month. Besides the Cowboys thought they had that young drafted RB with fresh legs in Randle.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
DMC showed me that last year that he can play well on 15-17 carries. He needs a little warmup, but can still produce nicely on a limited amount of carries. He also performed well on 25+ carries, but given his injury history, I would be against it. I really don't understand the negativity towards DMC after last season. The only RB's that were running better from a statistical standpoint were Rawls out of SEA and AP when DMC started the last 10 games of the year. I can understand being hesitant about his injury history, but producing while being healthy is a different issue. And he's a far better receiver out of the backfield than Rawls and AP...and a better blitz pickup (although not great, but AP is really poor at blitz pickups).

My main question with Morris is if he can play the #2 spot and get in 8-12 carries. Then we can get 3-5 to Dunbar. That's why I liked Turbin so much. He didn't need a warmup to get going. He was never going to be a great back that you could start. But, you could get 4.5 ypc out of him in 8-10 carries and he could run on short yardage. I will say that I didn't like Turbin much in the passing game. His blocking was horrendous at times and he was limited catching passes.

If Morris can get back healthy and still has juice left in those legs and he can work fine with 8-12 carries a game, then I think we have a nice upgrade from Turbin because Morris can start and be extremely productive as a starter if DMC goes down and he's much better in blitz pickup. The one thing I always noticed about Morris is that he looked like the type of RB that defenses didn't like having to tackle. I'd like to see him healthy and for the team to use that to their advantage.
Only argument I have with that post is that Turbin did nothing for us in short yardage, after being great at it in Seattle.

DTown214

Reaction score
So now that Elliott is likely out of the question for who we take at number 4... anyone like the idea of Henry in the 2nd? The guy is a freak of nature. Ran a 4.5 forty at 250 pounds. Great power runner. All he has to do to have success in the NFL is simply have better vision than Trent Richardson. I like the idea personally.

DTown214

Reaction score
No. Too early to draft a RB and now Mayock is saying he thought Henry could be had in the 3rd.

Well damn... if he's there in the 3rd round then sign me up for that all day. That'd be the best value pick of the draft.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So now that Elliott is likely out of the question for who we take at number 4... anyone like the idea of Henry in the 2nd? The guy is a freak of nature. Ran a 4.5 forty at 250 pounds. Great power runner. All he has to do to have success in the NFL is simply have better vision than Trent Richardson. I like the idea personally.

Nope. Not expected. Too many holes on defense. And now you have two former 1,000 yard rushers. They may draft a RB in the 4th round or later, but little or no chance before that. Too many other needs. Especially if a QB is taken at #4. If that happens then I think you're going to see a DE come off the board at the beginning of round 2.

DTown214

Reaction score
Nope. Not expected. Too many holes on defense. And now you have two former 1,000 yard rushers. They may draft a RB in the 4th round or later, but little or no chance before that. Too many other needs. Especially if a QB is taken at #4. If that happens then I think you're going to see a DE come off the board at the beginning of round 2.

Actually here's my wish at this point. At 4 we take Ramsey. 2nd round we take Paxton Lynch. 3rd round take Derrick Henry if he's there. If not, take the best D-lineman available. Then resign Greg Hardy. I'd also be okay with Bosa or Jack at 4. Only thing I'm really against at 4 is taking a QB. We need a guy who can immediately contribute... not a guy who's gonna ride the bench behind Romo for the next 2-3 years.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
McFadden is a fraud. He got a lot of garbage yards in games that were already decided for the most part.
He was running behind the league's best OL and didn't get much more than what was blocked. But there was so much that was blocked, that it made him the league's 4th-leading rusher. In that sense, I guess you could call him a fraud. After all, he's not the league's 4th-best RB (or even close to it), and he wouldn't be difficult to replace.

But garbage yards? Get outta here.

Rushing in one-score games
Martin 204 att 1040 yd 5.1
Peterson 247 att 1029 yd 4.2
McFadden 200 att 878 yd 4.4
Freeman 209 att 846 yd 4.1
Gore 194 att 770 yd 4.0

Rushing yards in one-score games
as a percentage of total rushing yards

McFadden 80.6%
Freeman 80.1%
Gore 79.6%
Stewart 76.3%
Martin 74.2%
LMurray 70.5%
Gurley 69.4%
Peterson 69.3%
Williams 61.4%
Ivory 48.3%

This offensive line is very, very good.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A few notes on the signing

• Getting a relatively young back who has had success in the league
  • The price is very team friendly
  • His best year was in a zone blocking scheme--which the Cowboys excel at
  • The move gives Dallas flexibility in the draft. If they take a back, it's not too hurtful to cut Dunbar or McFadden. If they don't, adding Morris and getting Dunbar back still improves the position group overall.