THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few notes on the signing

• Getting a relatively young back who has had success in the league
  • The price is very team friendly
  • His best year was in a zone blocking scheme--which the Cowboys excel at
  • The move gives Dallas flexibility in the draft. If they take a back, it's not too hurtful to cut Dunbar or McFadden. If they don't, adding Morris and getting Dunbar back still improves the position group overall.

I like the short yardage aspect he brings. Passing on 3rd and 1 just kill me.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Only argument I have with that post is that Turbin did nothing for us in short yardage, after being great at it in Seattle.

I don't think it's a RB issue. I think it was a QB/TE (Escobar when Hanna was hurt)/playcalling issue.

YR

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure what exactly denotes being in "sharp" decline. Few running backs average the same YPC from year to year.

Going from 4.8 his first year to 4.6 the second doesn't mean much. Dropping to 4.1 and then 3.7 the next two years could mean he's in decline, but I don't know if there's enough evidence just from the YPC to determine that.
I don't think there is, especially when you look at the rest of his team.

YPC on 1st & 10, 2015
Morris 3.8 (rest of team 2.9 ypc)
McFadden 4.8 (rest of team 4.9 ypc)

The Cowboys' average rush on 1st & 10 was 4.8 yards (5th in the NFL, without a running QB, or any passing threat), and McFadden was right at that average. The Commanders' 3.4 ypc on 1st & 10 ranked 32nd -- dead last -- even though Cousins led the NFL with a 113.3 passer rating on 1st & 10. That's how bad the Commanders' running game was last year, and Morris was almost a full yard per carry ahead of their other runners.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Since you need to be spoon fed, it means he got most of his yards when the season was over and we were trying to lose. The other teams were running out the clock and still beating us. They didn't care if DMC was trying to reach a financial milestone because it kept the clock running.

Up until that point he averaged 56 YPG
The last 4 weeks he averaged 102 YPG

102 ypg is 102 ypg...........

CowboyChris

Reaction score
signing Morris was a decent grab. but when you sit down and think what we have at RB, McFadden, Morris and Dunbar its hard to get excited.

ferrispata

Reaction score
Eh, I don't know. More reliable but Randle had some burst last year that Morris doesn't have. He's also a bit of a receiver which Morris is not.

This basically doesn't change my opinion of the position at all. Ezekiel Elliott could walk in here drunk and take the starting position with his foot asleep.

But we don't necessarily need Morris to catch passes with McFadden and Dunbar who excel at it.

Plankton

Reaction score
But we don't necessarily need Morris to catch passes with McFadden and Dunbar who excel at it.

You could argue that Morris' single dimensionality as a player will make what many consider to be a very predictable offense even more so. Morris has shown next to no ability or production in the passing game. Having him on the field is a sure fire sign that they will be running the ball.

One of the things that made Murray and the offense as effective as it was had to do with Murray's abilities as a runner, receiver and blocker. His presence on the field gave away nothing.

Section446

Reaction score
There's not a lot to dislike about this signing; great price for a decent RB.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Since you need to be spoon fed, it means he got most of his yards when the season was over and we were trying to lose. The other teams were running out the clock and still beating us. They didn't care if DMC was trying to reach a financial milestone because it kept the clock running.
In those 4 games, McFadden averaged 6.0 ypc when the margin was one score or less.

He had a total of 35 yards in the 4th quarter of those games.

plasticman

Reaction score
Are there any other former third day draft picks or undrafted rookies we can turm into millionaires?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You could argue that Morris' single dimensionality as a player will make what many consider to be a very predictable offense even more so. Morris has shown next to no ability or production in the passing game. Having him on the field is a sure fire sign that they will be running the ball.

One of the things that made Murray and the offense as effective as it was had to do with Murray's abilities as a runner, receiver and blocker. His presence on the field gave away nothing.

I'm glad someone else said it because lord knows I have harped enough. I'm excited about the Morris signing simply because he is a north/south guy that's durable and will help you move the offense. He is obviously not as versatile as Demarco. We know that. The one thing I am still not a fan of is this RBBC concept. It drives me nuts. The predictability factor is the root of that driver.

ferrispata

Reaction score

No I don't think that is true. As long as Morris is a good pass protector, then passing is still an option. The only thing it could indicate if he is in, is that the RB would not be catching a pass (although I am sure they will work on it more with him anyway).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure what exactly denotes being in "sharp" decline. Few running backs average the same YPC from year to year.

Going from 4.8 his first year to 4.6 the second doesn't mean much. Dropping to 4.1 and then 3.7 the next two years could mean he's in decline, but I don't know if there's enough evidence just from the YPC to determine that.

Don't know who said he was in "sharp" decline but it certainly wasn't me. His numbers have gone down each year but he's a young back who might benefit from a change of scenery and playing behind a better OL.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don't know who said he was in "sharp" decline but it certainly wasn't me. His numbers have gone down each year but he's a young back who might benefit from a change of scenery and playing behind a better OL.

For argument's sake, let's say he is a 3.7-yard back now who can be effective on short-yardage runs (based on percy's data). If all we get from him is someone who can pick up third-and-short and be a goal-line threat, I'm OK with that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For argument's sake, let's say he is a 3.7-yard back now who can be effective on short-yardage runs (based on percy's data). If all we get from him is someone who can pick up third-and-short and be a goal-line threat, I'm OK with that.

Any back we pick up who can move the chains on third and short and would provide a goalline threat would be an asset. One of our big issues last season was on third and short and only having 8 rushing TD's compared to 16 in 2014 which put a lot of pressure on our QBs. In 2014 we didn't find ourselves in as many long yardage situations as we did last season.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
One of our big issues last season was on third and short and only having 8 rushing TD's compared to 16 in 2014 which put a lot of pressure on our QBs.
Other way around. Rushing TD accounted for a bigger percentage of our total TD in 2015 than they did in 2014. The lack of a passing threat (and specifically, Weeden and Cassel combining for 1 TD pass from inside the 10-yard line in NINE games) allowed defenses to load up against the run, keeping our rushing TD total down.

Out away from the goal line, McFadden in short yardage was more effective than Murray the year before.

3rd or 4th and 1-2 to go, outside 5-yard line
2014 Murray 17 of 24 70.8%
2015 McFadden 13 of 16 81.3%