Twitter: Mosher's short list of potential 1st round players to start watching

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'd say my short list of "likes" on that board is Lloyd, Green, and Penning, and my short list of dislikes is Karlaftis, Ojabo, and Walker.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Karlaftis is a big no for me. To me he's a poor mans Brandon graham, not elite length or edge turning ability. Probably a good rotation guy but I just want more elite traits from an edge.
Add Ahmad Gardner if you are looking at corner

RS12

Reaction score
Lloyd would be the most productive right away IMO and its not like they couldnt use him but I dont see him lasting to 24. If Ojabo was there I could see him being the pick however the Cowboys have not done well with many of the traits pass rushers who werent all that productive in college. For some reason I have a feeling about Williams. If he slips to the end of or out of the 1st round.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Karlaftis is a big no for me. To me he's a poor mans Brandon graham, not elite length or edge turning ability. Probably a good rotation guy but I just want more elite traits from an edge.
Add Ahmad Gardner if you are looking at corner
Dane Brugler said hes hearing some teams view Karlaftis as a day 2 prospect. Its mostly media hyping him up as a top 20 prospect.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I honestly see Karlaftis as a round 3 or 4 type. There was a scouting nugget I read a long time ago that stuck with me: there's 2 main ways for a DE to beat a tackle. You can beat him with pure speed (eg Micah Parsons), or you can beat him with speed to power (eg TJ Watt, Myles Garrett). There's very few edge rushers out there winning off power without a credible outside threat.

With Karlaftis, I don't know if he offers that outside threat. He's huge, he's strong, he's got a pretty good first step, but can he run the arc on NFL tackles? If he can't, they'll just sit on his bull rushes and we've got Tyrone Crawford part 2.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I honestly see Karlaftis as a round 3 or 4 type. There was a scouting nugget I read a long time ago that stuck with me: there's 2 main ways for a DE to beat a tackle. You can beat him with pure speed (eg Micah Parsons), or you can beat him with speed to power (eg TJ Watt, Myles Garrett). There's very few edge rushers out there winning off power without a credible outside threat.

With Karlaftis, I don't know if he offers that outside threat. He's huge, he's strong, he's got a pretty good first step, but can he run the arc on NFL tackles? If he can't, they'll just sit on his bull rushes and we've got Tyrone Crawford part 2.
I don’t see him as the top prospect that he’s made out to be, but he ain’t a 3rd or 4th round guy. I’ve heard comparisons to Ryan Kerrigan and that may be a good comp. He’s a powerful kid. Violent hands and a big time motor. He does lack that bend that you want to see. I’d rather have Johnson, but I’m curious to see how he performs at the combine.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Depending on how the board fell I would have zero issues taking Karlaftis at #24.

I was critical of him but that was at the notion of him being like a Top 5-10 pick.

I think he’ll show he’s a much better athlete than what he’s purported to be.

morasp

Reaction score
Davis or Green would be the biggest upgrades they could make to each side of the ball. Our run game on offense and run defense were putrid last year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m surprised it wasn’t further adjusted for the Cowboys. They’re not taking a corner or a quarterback for sure and I doubt they’d be interested in a few of those other positions.
I thought CB in the first might have been a possibility in the first before Joseph got playing time. Bring Quinn back bodes well for Joseph's career as well. He fits that system, and he might not have been such a good fit in another

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depending on how the board fell I would have zero issues taking Karlaftis at #24.

I was critical of him but that was at the notion of him being like a Top 5-10 pick.

I think he can play RDE at a high level in the NFL, but I think he would be an excellent long term replacement for Lawrence at LDE. On a roster with Parsons, that ability to play both sides of the line would give us the ability to throw alot of different looks

He kind of reminds me of Everson Giffen

cnuball21

Reaction score

This…I never thought he was the top 10 guy some sites have him listed as but I think he’s a solid 1st rounder that will be a good pro. Maybe not the same ceiling as some of the other dudes but high floor.

Good first step, good power, good bend and a good toolbox to get to the passer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought CB in the first might have been a possibility in the first before Joseph got playing time. Bring Quinn back bodes well for Joseph's career as well. He fits that system, and he might not have been such a good fit in another

The Cowboys have one Pro Bowl corner already, and they drafted not one, but two corners before the end of the third round last year. To say nothing of having signed both Brown and Lewis.

If there’s one position where they don’t need further draft investment, it’s cornerback.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think he can play RDE at a high level in the NFL, but I think he would be an excellent long term replacement for Lawrence at LDE. On a roster with Parsons, that ability to play both sides of the line would give us the ability to throw alot of different looks

He kind of reminds me of Everson Giffen
That’s actually a good comp.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Cowboys have one Pro Bowl corner already, and they drafted not one, but two corners before the end of the third round last year. To say nothing of having signed both Brown and Lewis.

If there’s one position where they don’t need further draft investment, it’s cornerback.

1. Joseph is an unknown commodity

2. Brown is a known commodity; good depth guy but not an ideal long term starter

3. Lewis is a known commodity and not a very good cover corner IMO

4. Wright is an unknown commodity but I think he’s ceiling is as a core special teamer and package guy

I’m not passing up corner if that’s the top prospect on the board because of reasons 1, 3 and 4.