Most memorable Cowboys 49ers games

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Roger Staubach led comeback in the 1972 divisional round game is higher on the list for me than any regular season game for sure. Two TDs in the last two minutes or some such!?!? Absolutely incredible.. That game solidified Roger and Captain Comeback.. The only real question was why it took Landry so long to put him in the game.

rynochop

Reaction score
Actually it was an inside of the jersey fingertip grab that stopped Pearson but either way, it was really unlucky. The Catch would have never been born if Drew slipped out of that miracle save.
I haven't watched that play in a long time, I guess I forgot.ha

quickccc

Reaction score
The Roger Staubach led comeback in the 1972 divisional round game is higher on the list for me than any regular season game for sure. Two TDs in the last two minutes or some such!?!? Absolutely incredible.. That game solidified Roger and Captain Comeback.. The only real question was why it took Landry so long to put him in the game.

Much less finally decide on a permanent starting QB,... instead of musical chairs rotation .... ....... oh those mad science geniuses :muttley:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Much less finally decide on a permanent starting QB,... instead of musical chairs rotation .... ....... oh those mad science geniuses :muttley:

Well Landry had already settled on Roger as the full time starter after the Super Bowl win but Roger got hurt in preseason that year and Morton led them to 10-4 and a wild card berth.. Landry stayed loyal to him into the playoffs .. which was probably a mistake. You have to wonder if Roger had started that SF game would he heave been better prepared for the game at the Ratscums the following week and if we win that game do we *****slap the undefeated Dolphins just like we did the previous year?

DaBoys12

Reaction score
92-93 NFC Championship Game @ SF Dallas 30 Niners 20
Aikman to Harper Favorite Moment

Oct. 17th 1993 @ Texas Stadium Cowboys 26 Niners 17
My first Cowboys game, and where my sig, pic was taken.

94-95 NFC Championship Niners 38 Cowboys 28
Yea, a loss, but I was proud of the way they fought back, after the 21 point deficit.
If not for a hold by Deion on Irvin who knows.

“ The Catch Game “
I was a little one at the time, but still remember how sick it made me.

DaBoys12

Reaction score
- You're right ... i now wished i had added that (Deion Sanders vs Michael Irvin game) NFC title game ...ahead of the Jessie Holley game. (Romo broken ribs) or the Elvis Grbac upset.

cuz you're right... we got so far down and behind to an elite 49ers team. Larry Allen playing RT (Williams had the car accident) but LA was also playing on an badly sprained ankle.
and Emmitt on a pulled hamstring. But that Cowboys did not lay down and die, ..they galiantly fought back.

- And the Deion obvious holding non-call on Irvin only added to the frustration of losing that one.

Ironically Jerry signed Deion to a multi-year long term deal - and snatch him away from the Niners. en route to a SB win the next year ..!! :cool:

With some great commercials after the signing! ( offense or defense Deion? Both Jerry)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Many of you were not born yet but the 1972 divisional round where Staubach had to orchestrate 2 touchdowns in 2 minutes (Tony Frisch tricky onside kick recovered also) at the very least makes it into the top 3.

I remember that game well that was the first season I started following the Cowboys. That was the birth of captain comeback.

DaBoys12

Reaction score
- By far ... by a mile ... That 1981 The Catch game ... is still to this very day, the most utter heartbreaking game loss i have ever experienced.
No other Cowboys loss has surpassed that one.... i was just a kid, but i still recall Tom Landry crying tears in a post game interview afterwards.

- Not even the 2016 Green Bay last second FG kick to end the sensational Dak- Zeke rookie year can surpassed that.

Agree, same here, utter heartbreak. The worst by far.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For NFL history's sake? The Catch.:mad:
For Cowboy's fandom? 1992-93 NFC Championship with the Cowboy's version of "The Catch."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
img

Jimmy sure knew how to create a buzz and a legacy with his comments.
Other memorable quotes: "How bout dem Cowboys!"
and "We're not Houston!" Jimmy's response to Todd Christensen after the Cowboys took a 28-10 halftime lead on the Bills in Super Bowl 27. Jimmy was saying unlike the Oilers, his team wasn't going to let Buffalo comeback from a huge deficit.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
I wish it weren’t memorable, but I have PTSD from the 82 NFCCG. Easily the most memorable. I’m hopeful dementia can eventually do the trick.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Actually it was an inside of the jersey fingertip grab that stopped Pearson but either way, it was really unlucky. The Catch would have never been born if Drew slipped out of that miracle save.
If the league still allowed break-away jerseys, Pearson would have scored. I remember that play like it was yesterday. :(

Blackrain

Reaction score
Many of you were not born yet but the 1972 divisional round where Staubach had to orchestrate 2 touchdowns in 2 minutes (Tony Frisch tricky onside kick recovered also) at the very least makes it into the top 3.

That was one of the greatest comebacks in cowboys history.

Best cowboys 49ers game in my opinion

DaBoys12

Reaction score
Yeah.. I was in college.. and still lived and died with wins and losses.. That one stung because I thought we should have won..

Agreed, and then to watch them go on to dominate for years afterwards was salt to the wound.
I still say we owe ‘em payback every time we play em.

foofighters

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...the-nfls-bestrivalry-dallas-and-san-francisco

This is Bleachers look at most memorable Cowboys-Niners games.

Here's a look of My own Cowboys-Niners all time list.

1) 1993 NFC title game

2) 1981 NFC title game (the Catch)

3) 1994 NFC title game (Kosar to Alvin Harper TD catch)

4) Elvis Grabac upset game (1995)

5) Jessie Holley game (2011)

:rolleyes:
It's the Catch and the Catch only for me. I was 9 and it's the one game I've never gotten over. On my deathbed, my last words will be, "Thhheee Caaaatttccchhhhhhhh..."

quickccc

Reaction score
92-93 NFC Championship Game @ SF Dallas 30 Niners 20
Aikman to Harper Favorite Moment

Oct. 17th 1993 @ Texas Stadium Cowboys 26 Niners 17
My first Cowboys game, and where my sig, pic was taken.

94-95 NFC Championship Niners 38 Cowboys 28
Yea, a loss, but I was proud of the way they fought back, after the 21 point deficit.
If not for a hold by Deion on Irvin who knows.

“ The Catch Game “
I was a little one at the time, but still remember how sick it made me.

Alvin Harper ended up being the game saving hero for Cowboys in two separate NFC championship games vs the Niners .... (ala Kosar to Harper game sealer)

Amazing how he'd oft-disappeared in a number of reg games but he came up Huge game changer in Niners and Green Bay playoff games.

:flagwave: