Most memorable Cowboys 49ers games

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Jimmy sure knew how to create a buzz and a legacy with his comments.
Other memorable quotes: "How bout dem Cowboys!"
and "We're not Houston!" Jimmy's response to Todd Christensen after the Cowboys took a 28-10 halftime lead on the Bills in Super Bowl 27. Jimmy was saying unlike the Oilers, his team wasn't going to let Buffalo comeback from a huge deficit.

Jimmy had a degree in Psychology and knew how to use it.

Flamma

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...the-nfls-bestrivalry-dallas-and-san-francisco

This is Bleachers look at most memorable Cowboys-Niners games.

Here's a look of My own Cowboys-Niners all time list.

1) 1993 NFC title game

2) 1981 NFC title game (the Catch)

3) 1994 NFC title game (Kosar to Alvin Harper TD catch)

4) Elvis Grabac upset game (1995)

5) Jessie Holley game (2011)

:rolleyes:

I notice sometimes people use the year of the season, or the actual year the game was played, you did both!! So I was a bit confused. At least you put some commentary in there and it cleared things up.

Flamma

Reaction score
In the 90's these guys were right up there with NFCE opponents in my rivalry window. Maybe even higher than any of them for that time.

Beating the 9ers to get to the first 90's Super Bowl was one of the greatest sports moments I've ever experienced, maybe even greater than winning the big dance itself.

Lets hope this bodes well for the future.

Agreed. The Cowboys and the Giants probably denied the 49ers 3 or 4 super bowls alone.

JustChip

Reaction score
Now getting back to your list. I would have to add the 94 season championship game loss to the Niners. We spot them 21-0 lead, lose 38-28.. The BS non interference call still haunts me.... Who knows if we win but 38-35 would make Steve Young choke for sure...... man... what a sliding door moment!!!!!!
The non-interference call didn’t seal the deal. It was Switzer’s tantrum and 15 yard penalty because of the non-call that sealed the deal. IIRC that made it 3rd and something like 23 to go.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The non-interference call didn’t seal the deal. It was Switzer’s tantrum and 15 yard penalty because of the non-call that sealed the deal. IIRC that made it 3rd and something like 23 to go.
Exactly, especially since the Cowboys were probably in a 4-down situation there anyway. A short pass could have made it 4th-and-short. Another short pass and it could have been first down.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Agreed. The Cowboys and the Giants probably denied the 49ers 3 or 4 super bowls alone.

49ers lost four NFC title games to the Giants, Cowboys and Packers in an eight-year span. Niners could have had 8 Lombardis otherwise.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...the-nfls-bestrivalry-dallas-and-san-francisco

1) 1993 NFC title game

Great post. It’s been a great rivalry. That game in SF. Troy to Harpers. Off to the race. Jimmy stomping on the sidelines. Norv hitching his waist line. Novacek picking Harper up. Madden and Summerall. That moment is seared into my brain. What a time.

curboys

Reaction score
The Roger Staubach led comeback in the 1972 divisional round game is higher on the list for me than any regular season game for sure. Two TDs in the last two minutes or some such!?!? Absolutely incredible.. That game solidified Roger and Captain Comeback.. The only real question was why it took Landry so long to put him in the game.
I'm with you on this one... Staubach to Ron Sellers (also wore no. 88). Originally thought that this game was played in the year that the Cowboys won SBVI, but not true. However, they did get to the NFC Championship game where they lost to Washington Commanders. The Cowboys appeared in four straight NFC Championship games in the early 70's. The first two involved the SF49ers.

Last edited:

AyeAtey

Reaction score
The Roger Staubach led comeback in the 1972 divisional round game is higher on the list for me than any regular season game for sure. Two TDs in the last two minutes or some such!?!? Absolutely incredible.. That game solidified Roger and Captain Comeback.. The only real question was why it took Landry so long to put him in the game.
His scrambling drove Landry nuts. Thought he was a little careless also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

1) 1993 NFC title game

One of the greater of all time was the 1972 playoff win. I believe the greatest comeback in Cowboys playoff history overcoming 15 point deficit in 4th qtr .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Falling behind 21-0 in the first four minutes, the result of 3 turnovers, sealed the deal. Dallas never got closer than 10 the rest of the game.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
I remember that game well that was the first season I started following the Cowboys. That was the birth of captain comeback.
Ditto ditto ditto here...and I made a few bucks also!

Reactions: KJJ

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
“The Real Super Bowl” aka the 1995 NFC Championship was the most memorable game in the rivalry imo. It was also the most devasting defeat in my life as a Cowboys fan.

710uT00TY%2BL._AC_SX522_.jpg

AyeAtey

Reaction score
1972 NFC Divisional game. Roger comes off the bench, a big deficit and with a little help from his friends, pulls out the victory. That was
waaaaaaaaaay back then. Details sketchy, but he pulled it out.

Most everyone I knew were on the bandwagon with 9'ers except for me and my friend's kid brother. The Boys were not quite liked back then
either.

We took everybody's money and stuffed our pockets.

Been a fan since and started to pay a little more attention to the NFL.

Thomas82

Reaction score
My most memorable ones are the 2 NFC Championships in the early 90's, the Jesse Holley game, and the 2016 & 2017 games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

1) 1993 NFC title game

Look at the picture in my avatar. I took that picture myself as Emmitt crossed the goal line in the 93 NFC title game. The best game I have ever been to.

dckid

Reaction score
Yes I didn’t want to bring it up. Bumping the ref was Switzer no doubt.

JustChip

Reaction score
Falling behind 21-0 in the first four minutes, the result of 3 turnovers, sealed the deal. Dallas never got closer than 10 the rest of the game.
Absolutely falling behind like that made it almost impossible recover from. But at the time of the non-call, Dallas had the momentum and were driving to make it a 1score game. If I remember tight, they were around the SF 35-40 yard line and that PI was at 15-20.

But I’m not saying they lost because of the non-call. Nor even Switzer’s unforgivable penalty. As you point out, they lost because of the early hole they put themselves in. But they were in position to make it a game and win up until that penalty. They weren’t after that, hence it sealed the deal.