Most memorable Cowboys 49ers games

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Absolutely falling behind like that made it almost impossible recover from. But at the time of the non-call, Dallas had the momentum and were driving to make it a 1score game. If I remember tight, they were around the SF 35-40 yard line and that PI was at 15-20.

But I’m not saying they lost because of the non-call. Nor even Switzer’s unforgivable penalty. As you point out, they lost because of the early hole they put themselves in. But they were in position to make it a game and win up until that penalty. They weren’t after that, hence it sealed the deal.

What often gets forgotten about that game was that the Cowboys had righted themselves and cut it to 24-14 just before halftime until John Jett shanked a 23 yard punt and set the 49ers up at the Dallas 39 yard line with just over a minute to go in the half. And then for some reason the coaching staff left Larry Brown one on one with Jerry Rice in the waning seconds ... Rice torched Brown for a 28 yard TD and allowed the 49ers to enter the half up three scores.. The Cowboys took the second half kickoff and marched right down the field to make it 31-21.. How different does that game play our if it's 24-21 or even 27-21?

JustChip

Reaction score
What often gets forgotten about that game was that the Cowboys had righted themselves and cut it to 24-14 just before halftime until John Jett shanked a 23 yard punt and set the 49ers up at the Dallas 39 yard line with just over a minute to go in the half. And then for some reason the coaching staff left Larry Brown one on one with Jerry Rice in the waning seconds ... Rice torched Brown for a 28 yard TD and allowed the 49ers to enter the half up three scores.. The Cowboys took the second half kickoff and marched right down the field to make it 31-21.. How different does that game play our if it's 24-21 or even 27-21?
I forgot all about that.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...the-nfls-bestrivalry-dallas-and-san-francisco

This is Bleachers look at most memorable Cowboys-Niners games.

Here's a look of My own Cowboys-Niners all time list.

1) 1993 NFC title game

2) 1981 NFC title game (the Catch)

3) 1994 NFC title game (Kosar to Alvin Harper TD catch)

4) Elvis Grabac upset game (1995)

5) Jessie Holley game (2011)

:rolleyes:

caveat I know you said "my own" so this isnt directed at you quick

Wow I am getting old I guess. They did a piece on NFL Network too this morning and not a single mention of the 70s. All the great players involved then. 2 for the conference title and one of the most memorable playoff comebacks of all time
I think the people who werent around then should still do a little bit of research before compiling a list. To leave out the 72 game out makes any list incomplete.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I forgot all about that.

Man I was living 25 miles south of Candlestick at that time.. In fact had just played in our flag league championship the previous day and was feelin pretty good.. I was concerned about how muddy the field was going to be because it had rained nonstop for like 6-7 days leading up to that game. The sun finally did come out that day but the damage was done. That field was always soggy even on its best day... after a week of non-stop rain I was really worried about Emmitt's hammie.. As we saw late in the game.. one slip in the mud and that was gonna be it for him. I was shocked he played as deep into the game as he did and as well as he did with that thing. But that was part of Emmitt's gift.. he could tote the rock at a high level without ever getting up to top speed. I always felt like that hammie was a big reason for our downfall that day though.. I think the team knew they might not have Emmitt all game so guys got caught up trying to do too much.. I blame Irvin's fumble on that.. I blame Williams' botched kickoff on that.. I blame us even coming out throwing to begin with on that. If Emmitt was 100% there is no way in hell our first play from scrimmage is that skinny post that Mike fumbled..

jsb357

Reaction score
Aikman’s slant to Alvin Harper in the 1993 title game is my all-time favorite moment in sports.

As soon as he caught that ball the first thought in my mind was "back in the SB"

quickccc

Reaction score
caveat I know you said "my own" so this isnt directed at you quick

Wow I am getting old I guess. They did a piece on NFL Network too this morning and not a single mention of the 70s. All the great players involved then. 2 for the conference title and one of the most memorable playoff comebacks of all time
I think the people who werent around then should still do a little bit of research before compiling a list. To leave out the 72 game out makes any list incomplete.

With reference to my own lists and rankings,, i basically like to refer more to games that
i have actually viewed and seen and recall while growing up,

ditto with players that i rank and list on occasions.

Besides the classic Super Bowl games, rarely on network TV broadcasts are the old late 60's, early 70's games are brought up and highlighted..
.Seems like the further time moves on, the further

i practically see non SB games of old classic such as:
- Hail Mary
- the Immaculate Reception
- The Ice Bowl game (known more as NFL championship than official SB ?)
- Holy Roller (Ken Stabler fumble TD)

quickccc

Reaction score
That field was always soggy even on its best day... after a week of non-stop rain I was really worried about Emmitt's hammie.. As we saw late in the game.. one slip in the mud and that was gonna be it for him. I was shocked he played as deep into the game as he did and as well as he did with that thing. But that was part of Emmitt's gift.. he could tote the rock at a high level without ever getting up to top speed. I always felt like that hammie was a big reason for our downfall that day though.. I think the team knew they might not have Emmitt all game so guys got caught up trying to do too much.. I blame Irvin's fumble on that.. I blame Williams' botched kickoff on that.. I blame us even coming out throwing to begin with on that. If Emmitt was 100% there is no way in hell our first play from scrimmage is that skinny post that Mike fumbled..

.... and to make matters worse, Emmitt ended up blowing out the other hamstring muscle late in the game, .. so he was done for rest of that game. :(

RonnieT24

Reaction score
.... and to make matters worse, Emmitt ended up blowing out the other hamstring muscle late in the game, .. so he was done for rest of that game. :(

Not just that game but probably the Super Bowl if we had made it.. As proud as I was of the guys fighting back in that game.. it still stings to this day that we didn't get the chance to threepeat.. Though I can't get behind all the we would have won four in a row if Jimmy stays talk.. Unless Jimmy was going to keep Novacek and Haley's backs from acting up and Emmitt's hammies from giving him problems that team was going to take a dive at some point. Plus if they won it all in 1994 there would have been no big urgency to pluck Deion away from the 49ers..

quickccc

Reaction score
Not just that game but probably the Super Bowl if we had made it.. As proud as I was of the guys fighting back in that game.. it still stings to this day that we didn't get the chance to threepeat.. Though I can't get behind all the we would have won four in a row if Jimmy stays talk.. Unless Jimmy was going to keep Novacek and Haley's backs from acting up and Emmitt's hammies from giving him problems that team was going to take a dive at some point. Plus if they won it all in 1994 there would have been no big urgency to pluck Deion away from the 49ers..

Really ?
Winning 3 SBs out of 4 years doesn’t come close to placing any sting on me. That’s a helluva extraordinary accomplishment, for any sports franchise .. in fact that era as compared this current one, and thinking about all of the great players with only one SB ring,..and so many greats that have even experienced a SB appearance- much less have a SB ring.

Even if Barry Switzer was lucky to be there for the big ride.
He was after all one of those " 500 head coaches that could’ve coach this team to a SB " .

Winning 3 SBs in what’s been a freakin’ 25 years ago is just a hard reminder that we really need to cherish the moments, should we ever be in position to win a SB , ..because who knows if we will see another SB appearance during the rest of our lifetime. Never take it for granted.