News: Most reasonable article out there on Gregory situation

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And where do they end up every year? A good average roster that can hold its own in the NFL East but not much else. Year after year off season and draft produce the same results of a roster on par with the previous season. IMO at this point they are going to go hard to get back to par with last season's roster.
Can't disagree there.
It will take more miraculous drafting from Will McClay to equal last year's team which won 0 playoff games.
But you do have 9 picks now.
And Dallas doesn't enter free agency until wave 2 or 3.
Hoping for more Jayron Kearse's and less complete misses in that late free agency arena.

All in all I think winning week 1 of free agency is pretty meaningless but you also need talent to go win it all and Dallas has shown a reluctance to go after it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, but as stated before, I question whether or not Stephen even wanted Gregory back. Look, Stephen has done 1000s of these deals. Why couldn't he close a deal BEFORE free agency open window. Why it took Jerry's strong sale pitch to stop him from initially signing with the Broncos? Think about it.........Jerry had to step in and close the deal with a top priority player that Stephen could not? But AFTER Jerry gets it done, some unexpected language shows up in the contract right before signing, and not just any language but language/clause strong enough to be a DEAL BREAKER for your top player. Remember his agent said they gave Stephen a chance to remove/modify the clause but he didn't respond.

Again, just me but Stephen knew exactly what he was doing......in his mind, saving Jerry and/or the Cowboys from signing a bad contract.

phildadon86

Reaction score
From the Article ..

Per Schaffer, owner and G.M. Jerry Jones got Gregory on the phone to make the pitch. The Cowboys increased their offer to match Denver’s. As Schaffer tells it, the Cowboys told Gregory, “‘We love you, we will support you. This is the best place for you. We know who you are.'”

Gregory then decided not to sign with the Broncos, and to stay with the Cowboys. But next came the actual contract from the Cowboys. Schaffer said he was surprised to find language wiping out all guarantees in the event of any fine imposed by the NFL.

“No other teams have that language in their contracts,” Schaffer told PFT. “No other teams. Never in 30 years have I seen that language.”

If that is true, I do not blame Gregory or his agent at all for running away from that offer.

Players that hit quarterbacks tend to get fined before you even think about the more serious things for which the NFL may fine a player.
/close thread.

No need to keep arguing. Hes gone. Cowboys messed up. Hopefully they stumble into Von Miller or Wagner now.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point Reality.

The point I dont understand is if this is suppose to be standard in all of Dallas's contracts, why was Dak excluded, as being reported. If this clause is not in his contract then it really blows a hole in the entire narrative that this is just boilerplate language and is in every contract, because obviously its not if Dak is excluded.
Most professional contracts have conduct clauses in them, but I doubt very seriously any of them say that all guaranteed money is forfeited in the case of a league fine. No player or their agent would or even should sign a contract with that in it.

If this story and its details ends up being true, I will not be surprised if the NFLPA voices their displeasure at the attempted tactic.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the Cowboys added a clause that any fine, not suspension, but any fine at all give the Cowboys the option to void the contract does seem out of the ordinary. So a late hit on a QB that draws a $10,000 fine is grounds for his contract to be terminated?

I find that hard to believe that every Cowboys contract has this clause. Sounds like this was added specifically for Randy, as his agent is indicating.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Personally I think Jones and Jones did not see eye to eye on bringing back this player for this type of money and it may have been sabotaged.

Why hasn't this come up before?

Honestly I think Jerry wanted to pay him whatever because he likes him, and the kid was very skeptical.

Of course I'm guessing but it's plausible.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
“No other teams have that language in their contracts,” Schaffer told PFT. “No other teams. Never in 30 years have I seen that language.”

Teams usually void guarantees in the event of a suspension. The Cowboys void guarantees in the event of a fine.

Schaffer said that the move bothered Gregory. The Cowboys had fallen behind in the negotiations, and then Jerry got personally involved. He cited the personal relationship, the familiarity.

When the Cowboys added the clause wiping out guarantees in the event of a fine, Schaffer asked them about it. Per Schaffer, the Cowboys said they use it for every contract. However, Schaffer later learned that they didn’t put that language in the Dak Prescott deal.

Schaffer said he then gave the Cowboys an opportunity to remove the language. They didn’t. ...

Ultimately, the Cowboys had a chance to remove the language. They didn’t. The Broncos didn’t insist on similar language, and Gregory will sign with the Broncos after 4:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

This is the issue in a nutshell.
I fault the Cowboys, but it may be a blessing in disguise - as another poster has said.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So between all the Twitters and the fake Fish News, It sounds like the true story is getting mixed up. If you haven’t seen this link, this sounds like what truly happened with the Gregory signing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ion-of-decision-to-ditch-cowboys-for-broncos/

Cowboys did try to add something that wasn’t reasonable, not normal, and doesn’t sound like Stephen Jones is much of a negotiator. I would say ‘if the Cowboys even intended on keeping him,’ but if Jerry Jones was having to personally get involved then yes, the Cowboys did want to keep him and blew this. I know a lot of fans did not trust him, but the Broncos honestly signed him for cheap versus what decent pass rushers get on the market.
well it sounds like half a dozen of one and six of the other...the guy himself said, its in every contract except Dak...so its in the other 51 contracts!!! and everybody else signed....does gegory compare himself to Dak? this is not about Dak being good or his contract value, but I am sure somebody is going to run with it, but he is a QB, in a QB driven league and they get special treatment....and given Randy's history and how he got into the league dropping from top 10 to second round and being lucky to be drafted that high (no pun intended). and how many times did he get suspended? yeah...there is a long history there

and then gregory got mad and he was upset because of his substance abuse history per his agent!!!....so gregory didn't think he can stay clean? I doubt if the language was for any fine (like a late hit or something), but perhaps fine for off field behavior....his agent is defintley leaving something out. and did Randy plan to have off field issues? or worried he can't control himself.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You do know all contracts can be viewed by other agents and media, right? So if it isn't in the contracts it is easily found out and disproven. So why lie?
maybe not a lie, but getting ahead of it in the media......perhaps truth twisted and parts left out

Dre11

Reaction score
So between all the Twitters and the fake Fish News, It sounds like the true story is getting mixed up. If you haven’t seen this link, this sounds like what truly happened with the Gregory signing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ion-of-decision-to-ditch-cowboys-for-broncos/

Cowboys did try to add something that wasn’t reasonable, not normal, and doesn’t sound like Stephen Jones is much of a negotiator. I would say ‘if the Cowboys even intended on keeping him,’ but if Jerry Jones was having to personally get involved then yes, the Cowboys did want to keep him and blew this. I know a lot of fans did not trust him, but the Broncos honestly signed him for cheap versus what decent pass rushers get on the market.

Wrong, it's in all contracts except Dak.

Dre11

Reaction score
I hear you on agents and lawyers, but I don’t think he’s lying. He’s a 30 year agent. It’s very unusual for an agent to release a story like this. I just think the Cowboys got caught lowballing Gregory.

A 30 year incompetent agent if he didn't explain to Randy that they weren't singling him out.

Dre11

Reaction score
The way I heard it on the NFL network is the Cowboys include that language in every contracts, but Dak objected to it so they took it out. According to what I heard was the language is standard in all Cowboys contracts and it was not added at the last minute. The Cowboys sent their contract over with the terms that were agreed to and that language was included. To say it was snuck in or added at the last minute would not be a true statement. btw, the language says that a fine resulting from substance abuse would void the guarantees in the contract. So if Gregory was caught doing drugs again in 2022, his 2023 salary guarantee would be voided.

Gregory apparently objected to the language as well, but the Cowboys refused to remove it for him, and I think we all know why. Just imagine for a second that Gregory fails a drug test and misses further testing. Given his background what team would want to be on the hook for his contract for another year?

I don't blame the Cowboys for this at all. I blame Gregory 100%.

And even the Cowboys said they were willing to remove it.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score

This is INFURIATING! We stuck with this man thru THICK and thin, gave him every opportunity. OK Dallas, put in a reasonable clause to protect yourself but not just for a fine. A fine? I would be insulted also.

I have been hesitant to regard the front office as inept but this is beyond the pale. So disappointed - to lose a guy poised for sensational things we just now are getting a taste of - due to this sneaky bull%$%!. Screw this office.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
And even the Cowboys said they were willing to remove it.
But they didn't when given the opportunity - or at lest amend it to something reasonable. No excuse, this is pathetic management and we suffer for it. Screw this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do not consider him a consistent or decent pass rusher and he is not the complete DE that Lawrence is.

goshan

Reaction score
I don’t think the Cowboys honestly wanted to keep him that much. Maybe the low offer took them by surprise and they jumped in last second, maybe Jerry undermined Stephen, but it doesn’t sound like they went after him hard until the last second. OR…gasp… maybe Gregory just didn’t want to play for the fading star and was never much interested himself.
I suspect he wanted a fresh start. all the talk of his past issues wouldn't go away here, which the clause reminded him of.

Dre11

Reaction score
But they didn't when given the opportunity - or at lest amend it to something reasonable. No excuse, this is pathetic management and we suffer for it. Screw this.

That's his agent story, the report is when Randy saw it , he said F 'Them. They ran

eromeopolk

Reaction score

This language is not common and is a slick attempt by teams to void guaranteed monies. https://journals.library.columbia.edu/index.php/lawandarts/announcement/view/218
These are the Arlington Jonesboys and It doesn't matter...