Most rushing yards. Hoffman at OC

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I added the second part but my point still stands. A player that has never distinguished himself anywhere at any level is supposed to be our savior at Center?
I think we are agreeing in a round about way. While his size is what we want, he is nowhere near cerebral enough to be our starter. Anyone wanting him in that role, is misguided - or just hoping to spend our few assets (draftpicks) at different positions. Thanks to the Joneses, we are screwed !
I would love them to pull a rabbit out of a hat, but don't see it.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think we are agreeing in a round about way. While his size is what we want, he is nowhere near cerebral enough to be our starter. Anyone wanting him in that role, is misguided - or just hoping to spend our few assets (draftpicks) at different positions. Thanks to the Joneses, we are screwed !
I would love them to pull a rabbit out of a hat, but don't see it.
The Great Wall was NOT made up of scrubs as some have wanted to claim; Eric and Stepnoski were top of the line guys. Nate was always very good. Jerry tried to recreate it once using UDFA's and late rd picks and failed miserably. I just hope we are not going back that way

quickccc

Reaction score
he makes sense. But we seem to be moving off of older players right now. My gut says hes gone. For better or worse.
Its' Not about age ... we actually traded for Gilmore's age last offseason.
And we depended upon age to bail us out when Bland struggled vs Seattle's Metcalf.

It's about cap money ... Stephen is on a Money Ball crusade cuz he is so paranoid about future contracts ala Dak, Lamb and
Parson.

quickccc

Reaction score
If we don’t draft C or C/G combo early, it means Cowboys saw enough from Hoffman in his starts and in practice vs #1 defense.
If we don’t draft a LT in round 1, it likely means Tyler Smith is moving to LT this year.

Personally, I think we want LT starter. If unavailable, I think we go C/G in round 1 as we will be desperate for depth as Tyler moves to LT and we need someone who can backup or step in at G or C.

If the LT and C prospects are not top value or capable of playing this year, We may go DT as one of the top guys will likely have dropped in our laps.

Ideally, we move to the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2, acquiring extra day 2 picks IF a top OL isn’t there.
It would mean how messy and incompetent our current coaching staff is

and I dunno if it has to be early round as such a 1st or 2nd rd, since we selected the Dave Rimington trophy winner Tyler Biasdaz in the late fourth round per draft board value.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Same,,, I'm all for giving Bass a shot just like with any position but this team needs to take the center of the OL freaking seriously and draft a quality OC/OG,,, first round, let them duke it out in TC.
Peeps don't like boring, but exactly what you say needs to be addressed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its' Not about age ... we actually traded for Gilmore's age last offseason.
And we depended upon age to bail us out when Bland struggled vs Seattle's Metcalf.

It's about cap money ... Stephen is on a Money Ball crusade cuz he is so paranoid about future contracts ala Dak, Lamb and
Parson.
We ain't keeping gilley. Last year was last year. This year we seem to have a change of heart

quickccc

Reaction score
Lol true but it's not just the money. I been paying attention to who it is we let go. Kendricks is the caveat. That was simply a Zimmer hire.

Zimmer was definitely involved to heavily influence and convince the Zim-familiar vet Kendricks to do a U-turn from Niners to the Cowboys

Who else would there have been here to signal call a brand new defensive scheme ? Clark ? Overshown ? Bell ?
and we well know the fate of neck issue LVE.

But even that could have not happened if not for some kind of Cap Boy financial influence himself - IMO, Cap Boy was forced to make a financial call to Kendricks - Zim was able to add some major influence himself, and thank goodness that K" decided to back out of Niners to the Cowboys.

Frankly speaking, I think it was a very fortunate combination of 3 parties that made it happened to a vastly desperate needed LB unit - the only, sole, lone difference making FA add on move we dared to make in '2024.

quickccc

Reaction score
Lol true but it's not just the money. I been paying attention to who it is we let go. Kendricks is the caveat. That was simply a Zimmer hire.
My remaining question still remains if we are done with the LB unit this offseason, will we add a " major" rookie player at LB. per 2nd 3rd or 4th round ..?

And what kind of cheap, bargain based, post- draft, pre-camp veteran add on decisions will be made ?
Will we just count on just undrafted rookie LBs, late round rookies or a vet- cheap LB ..after the NFL draft ?

31RoyW31

Reaction score
I think the Center from Duke, Graham Barton can play anywhere along the offensive line. I believe he is projected to go late first round to early second. Might be a good fit.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys 2023 game with the most rushing yards was the game that Hoffman started at Center.

The RG in that game was Bass (Martin out).

Hoffman's other start was at OG. That was the 6th best game with regards to rushing yards.
Just a note, the Cards were one of the four worst rush Ds in the entire league statistically.

So I am not sure you can put a lot of faith in one game against a terrible run defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
As good as JPJ might be, he's not gonna equate wins when the defense is built the way it currently is. Best thing we can do is roll with the Hoffman's of the world and go d heavy in the draft. One caveat is, drafting a stud RB.
You go heavy on the D in the draft and don't address real offensive problems, you ain't winning crap either.

The OL needs help. Sorry but you can't say we have to fix CB but then turn around and act like OL is in nice shape. LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s the off-season…

But Hoffman was a scrub in college ball.

Not even drafted.

No awards in college ball.

And Fans expect him to play at the same level as Biadasz?

Or TFred?

#Scrub
We are just hitting the August Camp Hero analysis early. You know it, where every August a few JAGs/UDFAs go nuts in a meaningless scrimmage or preseason game and people got nuts over such a tiny sample size.

People just want to get into that mode early by pimping Hoffman based off one game against one of the worst rush Ds in the NFL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It would mean how messy and incompetent our current coaching staff is

and I dunno if it has to be early round as such a 1st or 2nd rd, since we selected the Dave Rimington trophy winner Tyler Biasdaz in the late fourth round per draft board value.
They lucked out on Biadasz in the 4th. I think he had a shoulder problem at the time?

Unanimous All American Center and the Rimington Trophy.

Pro Bowl in his 2nd season as a starter.

But fans on here were butt hurt because he wasn’t TFred.

Hoffman isn’t even close.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys 2023 game with the most rushing yards was the game that Hoffman started at Center.

The RG in that game was Bass (Martin out).

Hoffman's other start was at OG. That was the 6th best game with regards to rushing yards.
I'm not sold on either of those guys.

But there's an angle on it that seems to fit where we're heading.

Marginal oline players, and young players, are often better in run blocking than pass blocking. I believe that's true as well for Steele and Tyler. Retooling for a running offense fits our current oline and likely QB if Dak goes, whether that's Lance or a draft pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They lucked out on Biadasz in the 4th. I think he had a shoulder problem at the time?

Unanimous All American Center and the Rimington Trophy.

Pro Bowl in his 2nd season as a starter.

But fans on here were butt hurt because he wasn’t TFred.

Hoffman isn’t even close.
Biadasz may have had a shoulder issue coming out of college, but I think the bigger issue was his hip.

He was great value for the pick, and has slowly turned into a good C. But I think that Pro Bowl pick was one of those "nobody else wanted to play" awards. He's now good. Better than average. Not great. Not even very good.

But I don't see Hoffman as even close either. Hoffman looks like a backup who is not horrible if he has to play. Probably gets better, but that's where I see him now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In defense of the posters we listen to Broaddus who swears if we replace Tyler B. with one of the highly rated centers, the Cowboys will be ok.
I'm always a fan of taking a top C. Undervalued position, IMO, and the top players are usually gold.

I'm not so enthusiastic about Hoffman or Bass as starters. I expect we sign an older cap casualty at LG on final cuts. Very likely draft a C high as the starter.

LG will be the competition between Bass, Hoffman, and eventual dumpster dive LG.

And that should be ok.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My remaining question still remains if we are done with the LB unit this offseason, will we add a " major" rookie player at LB. per 2nd 3rd or 4th round ..?
The solution at LB for all but passing downs is Parsons.
Pass downs DE, run downs LB.