Twitter: Most rushing yards per attempt

plasticman

Reaction score
Yes, I know that individual accomplishments are meaningless without meeting team goals.

With that said,

Is it still possible to have two different thousand yard backs this season?

Zeke needs 46 yards a game.

Pollard needs 108 yards a game.

And yes, this accomplishment is greatly diluted by the number of game even when it went from 14 games to 16.

Still, two different thousand yard backs is an extreme rarity. I'm sure there are others but the one I can take from memory is Larry Czonka and Mercury Morris in 1972 for the Dolphins.

Pollard would have to have a signature game of 170 to 200 yards in one of the three last games to have a chance.

starman22

Reaction score
Yes, I know that individual accomplishments are meaningless without meeting team goals.

With that said,

Is it still possible to have two different thousand yard backs this season?

Zeke needs 46 yards a game.

Pollard needs 108 yards a game.

And yes, this accomplishment is greatly diluted by the number of game even when it went from 14 games to 16.

Still, two different thousand yard backs is an extreme rarity. I'm sure there are others but the one I can take from memory is Larry Czonka and Mercury Morris in 1972 for the Dolphins.

Pollard would have to have a signature game of 170 to 200 yards in one of the three last games to have a chance.

As much as I can't stand the franchise, the Steelers had Rocky Blier and Franco Harris sometime in the 70's.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The threat of Zeke, as it is still real, makes Tony better. :popcorn:

I am glad we have Pollard. Great speed, great in the open field, has a huge burst. Zeke started out like that, his burst was back, then the knee injury. Hopefully that is back for the playoffs.
I still would not mind if he sat a game. But HFA is on the line, so that will not happen. Though both looked much better in the NYG game.

I still do not like Pollard's decisions on KO returns at times. But he is a threat to take it to the house. I wonder if he is well enough to return KO's Sunday.
I still want to see them on the field at the same time more often. What happened there, they did at the start of the season. Now they just rotate. Even with both having injuries.

I do not understand Moore, something works and he goes away from it. It is like he has a bucket list of plays...ok, did that play, it worked, file it away deep in the playbook...next play...oh it did not work, I need to try it again, and 100 more times until it works.....
:hammer::popcorn::popcorn:

DFWJC

Reaction score
The fact that JT is doing it as the only weapon on that Colts offense is impressive. He’s averaging more YPA than Derrick Henry’s best season and has almost 3x the yards Tony Pollard has.
Yeah, its not really comparable.

Pollard is playing well though.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The threat of Zeke, as it is still real, makes Tony better. :popcorn:

I am glad we have Pollard. Great speed, great in the open field, has a huge burst. Zeke started out like that, his burst was back, then the knee injury. Hopefully that is back for the playoffs.
I still would not mind if he sat a game. But HFA is on the line, so that will not happen. Though both looked much better in the NYG game.

I still do not like Pollard's decisions on KO returns at times. But he is a threat to take it to the house. I wonder if he is well enough to return KO's Sunday.
I still want to see them on the field at the same time more often. What happened there, they did at the start of the season. Now they just rotate. Even with both having injuries.

I do not understand Moore, something works and he goes away from it. It is like he has a bucket list of plays...ok, did that play, it worked, file it away deep in the playbook...next play...oh it did not work, I need to try it again, and 100 more times until it works.....

The threat of Zeke doing what exactly?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rushes for those players

Pollard: 119
Taylor: 270
Chubb: 190

Easier to do in a complementary role. What Taylor is doing is amazing considering his workload.

Some don't understand that. Maybe they are not old enough to remember Troy Hambrick, who averaged 5.1 per carry Emmitt's last year here, was given the lead role and averaged 3.5.

Maybe Pollard would fare better, but there are a lot of things that come with being the lead back that make it tougher. Not being as fresh, being on the field in short-yardage situations, wear and tear (injury). The role he plays here might be the best fit for him. Maybe it's not, but it's really hard to say without seeing him being that lead back.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Tony Pollard is taking the Cowboys' offense by storm! He's worth his weight in gold, for what he contributes to this team. He's capable of breaking for long gains at any given time that he gets the ball. It's a good bet that he'll get a sizeable raise when the time comes for his contract to be due. It's also to his credit that he's willing to put his foot injury on the back burner when it's time to perform. It's an undeniable sign of a trooper! :)
Be interesting what happens next year when his contract is up.
Can't afford top dollar to 2 backs?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Be interesting what happens next year when his contract is up.
Can't afford top dollar to 2 backs?

It won't be too surprising if Zeke is asked to take a cut in his salary when Pollard comes up for his next contract. Zeke isn't quite the dynamic RB that he was as a rookie for some time now. If another RB shows the promise to be the stud RB that Zeke was back then, it might be time to look for another stud to be our all-purpose work horse. Every dog has his day and the same holds true for #1 RBs. We'll see about it when the 2022 draft rolls around. A mid-round pick might be a likely point to attend to that.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Some Cowboys fans prefer 3.8 ypc as long as you give it to a “bell cow” 25 times a game. Then they can blame “play calling” for the inefficiency and credit the “bell cow” for the back up being more efficient.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
anything to support a false narraTive. He hasn’t been a bad blocker in the league. He doesn’t blow people up like Elliott has done but I’ve seen zeke miss blocks just like Tony

Pollard has improved as a blocker but he is still below average IMHO. Even if he was average he'd be light years behind Zeke at it. As long as this team is going to throw the ball 65-70% of the time it can't have a back on the field who is not good at blitz pickup. Yes Pollard is healthier and more productive as a runner than Zeke right now.. but until this team commits to running the ball more than it throws it, like it did during the win streak, Zeke is going to play more snaps than Pollard. Zeke is also going to get most of the short yardage and goal line totes too. Those are big boy runs that Pollard isn't quite ready yet to make. He may get there as his body fills out but he aint there yet. All that said, the Cowboys aint benchin Zeke.. not because of his contract or ego or anything like that.. They will not bench Zeke because of the respect he holds in the eyes of his teammates for what he has done this year.. Those teammates see that knee swelling up on him after games and practices.. They watch film Monday morning and run out of fingers counting the number of times he saves Dak's life. They watch him limp off the field in pain and then check back into the game as soon as the pain is bearable. If you've played football you understand what that means to a team and to his teammates. And you know what it would tell your team if you rewarded that kind of heart with benching. Yes sit him if he's hurting the team and himself. But Zeke running for 3 yards doesn't hurt the team.. Pollard not staying in front of a DE and letting Dak get strip sacked does.. It's up to the coaches to use them both in their best roles.. Since they have not asked me to join the coaching staff.. I have no choice but to trust that they will.

starfan1

Reaction score
The only thing I agree with from this book you just wrote is the cowboys need to run more and zeke getting goal line carries. I think you don’t give pollard enough credit in terms of his abilities in short yardage and between the tackles but I’ve watched you defend zeke for awhile now

I played and I get the whole heart discussion but I also know how important winning is and putting your best players out there to get the job done

no ones talking benching zeke but the ration of carries needs to he slighted more towards the more productive back which is pollard