Most under appreciated Cowboy of all time?

lwehlers

Reaction score
danny white and jim jeffcoat he was a key defensive line player on two superbowls. i also agree on harvey martin one the best pass rushers in the nfl when he played.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I'm going to go with George Andrie. He was a great passrusher in the 60s and racked up 97 sacks (unofficially). Our defenses were AWESOME back then and he was a big part of that.

Most folks under the age of 45 have never even heard of him. He was a 5 time Pro-Bowler and named 1st team All Pro once.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4421891 said:
Tony Romo. No doubt in my mind. The guy is the 2nd highest rated quarterback of all time, yet he gets treated like a JAG because he is surrounded by a failure of a team.

couldn't have said it better myself

wittenacious

Reaction score
cobra;4421926 said:
It was Danny White. Now it is Romo.

This fan base that constantly berates the guy and does not appreciate that he is a quality QB is so incredibly short-sighted.

QB is so important, and yet our fans forgot the Qunicy/Chutch/Stoerner/VinnyT/etc years. So they constantly berate a guy who is a good QB.
And before Tony Romo and Danny White ... Dandy Don.

And I, for one, haven't forgotten suffering the likes of Carter, Hutchinson, Stoerner (only started what, 1 or 2 games?), Testaverde, and the like, so I make no bones about supporting Tony Romo. He makes mistakes, yes, but he's a very good QB.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Romo is. It's not even a debate. He may be the most under appreciated player in NFL history.

Captain Late

Reaction score
I would go with Don Perkins or Jethro Pugh.Perkins was a durable productive performer for 8 years,and Pugh was such an underrated player at DT next to Bob Lilly and then Randy White.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd say any list that included:

Harvey Martin
Tony Tolbert
Danny White
Tony Romo
Jim Jeffcoat

Any of those guys are perfect canidates for this question.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wittenacious;4421862 said:
L.P. Ladouceur ... seldom ever thought of by fans, but he's done his job among the best at his position his entire career. Maybe not the MOST under-appreciated, but I wonder how many have ever bought LP's jersey to add to their Cowboys gear? Poor ole Long Snappers just ain't got the "street" cred. LOL

I'll give Dale Hellestrae the edge over L.P. since he has 3 Super Bowl rings. LOL...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4421891 said:
Tony Romo. No doubt in my mind. The guy is the 2nd highest rated quarterback of all time, yet he gets treated like a JAG because he is surrounded by a failure of a team.
Agreed. Easy choice IMO...though I haven't been watching the Cowboys since the 70s like some.

Just to throw another name in there...I think Flozell Adams was really underappreciated. Yea he had his problems with false starts and whatnot, but he was a really, really good player for a long time.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Captain Late;4422035 said:
I would go with Don Perkins or Jethro Pugh.Perkins was a durable productive performer for 8 years,and Pugh was such an underrated player at DT next to Bob Lilly and then Randy White.

Perkins is at least in the Ring of Honor. He should also be in the HoF but... :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Pugh never got any real recognition when he played, not being named to the Pro-Bowl or All-Pro teams even once, yet the guys who played against him all thought he was a very good player.

This is from Wikipedia:

While Quarterback sacks were not an official NFL statistic during Pugh's career, he is unofficially credited with a career total of 95.5. He led the Cowboys in sacks each season from 1968 to 1973 with a high mark of 15.5 in 1968 . He averaged 12½ sacks, during one amazing stretch of his Cowboys career (1968–1973), .

Unfortunately for Pugh he played at a time when there were a lot of great DTs in the NFL/NFC like Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, etc. so he got aced out each year.

I went with George Andrie over Pugh as the most underrated ever because Andrie was recognized when he played but has been forgotten by most Cowboys fans. He should be in the RoH IMO but I don't believe that will ever happen.