Most under appreciated Cowboy of all time?

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I always thought Kelvin Martin was very under appreciated. He made a ton of key plays out of the slot and returning punts.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
JakeCamp12;4422383 said:
I always thought Kelvin Martin was very under appreciated. He made a ton of key plays out of the slot and returning punts.
Yea, I liked Kelvin too

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BAT;4422299 said:
At least Tony was a starter. The most prolific pass rusher on those teams was a part time player - Jim Jeffcoat.

Haley was a better pass rusher.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Not worthy of the top spot but I will throw out a couple honorable mentions to Greg Ellis and Patrick Crayton.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Vtwin;4422399 said:
Not worthy of the top spot but I will throw out a couple honorable mentions to Greg Ellis and Patrick Crayton.

Patrick "Fair Catch" Crayton? Are you serious? Dude single-handedly cost us a playoff game against the Giants. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Larry Cole...not an all-star, but always making huge plays.

Dave Manders...a no-name center you never had to worry about.

I must misunderstand the question when I'm shocked to see pro bowlers and multi-millionaires listed as under appreciated.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
THUMPER;4422425 said:
Patrick "Fair Catch" Crayton? Are you serious? Dude single-handedly cost us a playoff game against the Giants. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

True but I was trying to look at the big picture and not just a moment in time.

He was a good player for the team and tends to be remembered more for that one game.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Vtwin;4422446 said:
True but I was trying to look at the big picture and not just a moment in time.

He was a good player for the team and tends to be remembered more for that one game.

I was talking about his entire career with the Boys. He was a terrible punt returner, fair catching a HUGE percentage of punts rather than making an attempt at a return. Look up his stats sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2005 - 23 returns, 9 FC
2006 - 11 returns, 7 FC
2007 - 22 returns, 20 FC
2008 - 15 returns, 9 FC
2009 - 36 returns, 23 FC

2009 was his "big year" when he returned 2 punts for TDs but those are the only ones in his career. He also fumbled 3 punts that year though.

2007 was his "big year" as a receiver with 50 catches and 7 TDs but he dropped a very high number of passes throughout his career (just ask the Chargers this year) so I don't see him as underappreaciated as much as "glad-he-is-gone".

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I'll go with Don Meredith but Danny White, Niland and Pugh are great choices as well. I'm leaving out Romo because I think there are a lot of fans who do in fact understand what Romo has done with so little. I'm not sure you can say the same about Dandy Don back in the day.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dat was under-rated, not only did he have great skills, but he studied teams and directed the defense accordingly. Likely raised the level of the defenses a couple notches.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
noshame;4422497 said:
I think Dat was under-rated, not only did he have great skills, but he studied teams and directed the defense accordingly. Likely raised the level of the defenses a couple notches.

Good one. I liked Dat. :bow:

jmac

Reaction score
It is hands down Tony Romo because most of the other players mentioned were all considered good players. I've had cowboys fans tell me Romo needs to be cut. Some don't even think he's any good

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
noshame;4422497 said:
Great choice.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
jmac;4422512 said:
It is hands down Tony Romo because most of the other players mentioned were all considered good players. I've had cowboys fans tell me Romo needs to be cut. Some don't even think he's any good

I agree. Some fans act as if Romo was the QB who was the guy that replaced Aikman in 06 after Aikman replaced Staubach in the late 70's. They all want the next guy and always discount what he does for this team. But the next guy could be the next Steve Pelluer or Drew Bledsoe.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Randall Godfrey. IMO arguably the best true LB we've had since I've been watching for nearly 30 years. I know we were cap-strapped at the time, but we should've done everything possible to keep him.

Another guy is Erik Williams. I mention him because I dont think he gets the recognition for being an absolutely devestating RT before the car wreck. IMO his domination at RT was equal to Larry Allen at OG.

ringmaster

Reaction score
jmac;4422512 said:
Those idiot Cowboys fans that tell you foolish stuff like that isn't worth talking to about football period.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JohnsKey19;4422626 said:
Randall Godfrey. IMO arguably the best true LB we've had since I've been watching for nearly 30 years. I know we were cap-strapped at the time, but we should've done everything possible to keep him.

Well....wait...what?!

I had to read that wrong.