Most Underrated Cowboy of All-Time

blueblood70

Reaction score
There are tons of great answers but I believe it comes down to 2 guys; John Niland and Jethro Pugh.

John Niland played for 9 seasons with the Cowboys at LG and was named ALL-PRO 3 times along with 6 Pro Bowl appearances in addition he
is arguably the best Pulling Guard in Cowboys history.

Jethro Pugh played 14 years with the Cowboys. At LDT he lead the Cowboys in sacks 6 times. In addition he was a Brilliant run defender.
He was criminally overlooked when it came to Post Season Honors. From 1967 to 1972 he had seasons of 9, 15.5, 13, 13.5, 13.5, 8.5 sacks and he was 2nd team ALL-PRO in 1968 but was never chosen for a Pro Bowl.

I think even though both are way underrated, I think Jethro Pugh is the choice.
ROMO

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Look at Harvey Martin 23 sacks in 77 I believe, how he isn’t in the HOF is beyond me. Not in the ROH, a SB mvp it’s really sad to say the least
Yeah I didnt know about Pugh it was Harvey Martin that I wondered why they don’t just go back and acknowledge these sacks…..like they’re erasing history.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I would go Dexter Coakley, probably a name future generations won't hear much but that guy was every where and was one of the few bright spots on a declining team.

leeblair

Reaction score
Kellen Moore.
Could have been the best quarterback since Aikman and was ignored due to what the NFL then considered as having the "prototypical" quarterback attributes.
Moore had more natural leadership ability than 99% of NFL quarterbacks and a perspective view of the game that can't be taught.
He was a naturally gifted gunslinger that was wasted because of a lack of understanding by the Cowboys and the rest of the NFL as to what a real quarterback looks like.
And Tashard Choice was wasted because of the same ignorance.
So it's about a tie.

Brax

Reaction score
Yeah I didnt know about Pugh it was Harvey Martin that I wondered why they don’t just go back and acknowledge these sacks…..like they’re erasing history.
Those sacks were in a 14 game season, a Cowboys SB mvp isn’t even in Jerry’s ROH, says all you need to know. Another guy was Ed Jones great defensive player, a really great defensive line back then

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Wonder why the NFL doesn’t acknowledge the sacks pretty impressive to get those from the interior.
The game has changed so much than in the old days.Being a bit old fashioned, I understood how they played defense better than today. No wonder the refs have so much trouble calling the game today. And all these rule changes always seem to be in the favor of the offense.
If you like great defense like in those days, then it takes away from the excitement of the sport.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pugh is definitely one that never got his due.
but once again playing before sacks were an official stat and got lots of attention says it all
Nowadays a DT getting those stats would be looking at a Yellow Jacket easily

Day Nguyen is my favorite under rated player
Lol Dat and Bill Bates are two that were not underrated by fans.

Shane612

Reaction score
Danny White.
Jethro Pugh
, he maybe one the most unappreciated, rather than underrated.
Aaron Kyle.
Doug Cosby.
Robert Newhouse.

Shane612

Reaction score
Pugh is definitely one that never got his due.
but once again playing before sacks were an official stat and got lots of attention says it all
Nowadays a DT getting those stats would be looking at a Yellow Jacket easily
People hardly ever talk about Jethro Pugh.
He is so under appreciated for sure.
He was so solid.

Shane612

Reaction score
Harvey Martin certainly deserves some notable recognition. Underrated by the NFL or he'd hold the season record for sacks.

My choice would be Bill Bates. "Tom Landry once said, “If we had 11 players on the field who played as hard as Bill Bates does and did their homework like he does, we’d be almost impossible to beat.""

If Coach Landry felt that way I'll just go with this answer for $200, Alex !
Harvey Martin, for sure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those sacks were in a 14 game season, a Cowboys SB mvp isn’t even in Jerry’s ROH, says all you need to know. Another guy was Ed Jones great defensive player, a really great defensive line back then
Yeah that’s another thing. Jerry won’t even acknowledge him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Erik Williams should be in the conversation for best tackle ever. Career cut short a bit but for his healthy years he dominated great players.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Tony Romo, Dak, Zeke, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson,Preston Pearson, Robert Newhouse, Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris, George Teague, Billy Joe Dupree, Golden Richards,