Most Underrated Cowboy of All-Time

gtb1943

Reaction score
Kellen Moore.
Could have been the best quarterback since Aikman and was ignored due to what the NFL then considered as having the "prototypical" quarterback attributes.
Moore had more natural leadership ability than 99% of NFL quarterbacks and a perspective view of the game that can't be taught.
He was a naturally gifted gunslinger that was wasted because of a lack of understanding by the Cowboys and the rest of the NFL as to what a real quarterback looks like.
And Tashard Choice was wasted because of the same ignorance.
So it's about a tie.
thank you for that; I really needed a good laugh

cowboyec

Reaction score
underrated by the voters in canton:
qb don meredith
rb don perkins
ot ralph neely
og john niland
og blaine nye
ot pat donovan
de ed too tall jones
de harvey martin
lb lee roy jordan
cb everson walls
cb/s cornell green

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Kellen Moore.
Could have been the best quarterback since Aikman and was ignored due to what the NFL then considered as having the "prototypical" quarterback attributes.
Moore had more natural leadership ability than 99% of NFL quarterbacks and a perspective view of the game that can't be taught.
He was a naturally gifted gunslinger that was wasted because of a lack of understanding by the Cowboys and the rest of the NFL as to what a real quarterback looks like.
And Tashard Choice was wasted because of the same ignorance.
So it's about a tie.
:facepalm:

Essentially you said the NFL and all of NFL and everyone in NFL is clueless and you know more than them and anybody else anywhere. And nobody else anywhere at anytime is agreeing with you....nobody.

Wow, I swear you can't make this stuff up...

Too funny.

Captain Late

Reaction score
Jethro Pugh is definitely a player who was underrated.His Leadership,excellent ability to play the Run and Pass Rush along with his durability deserve respect.Coach Landry held Jethro in high regard as did Bob Lilly,who praised him for contributing to his success as a player.

Dave Edwards was another Player who was underrated.He locked down the Strong Side LB Spot with his Strength and Intelligence for 12 Years after Coach Landry flipped sides with Chuck Howley and was a solid,significant part of those Defenses.He also was given praise and respect from Landry and his Teammates.John Madden actually showed film of Dave Edwards on how to defend Tight Ends getting off the Line of Scrimmage to his Oakland Raiders LB's in the 1970's.

Cornell Green,George Andrie,John Niland,Larry Cole,Jim Jeffcoat,Mark Tuinei and Tony Tolbert were also underrated and important players IMHO.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Essentially you said the NFL and all of NFL and everyone in NFL is clueless and you know more than them and anybody else anywhere. And nobody else anywhere at anytime is agreeing with you....nobody.

Too funny.
tell us how you really feel....

Moore's problem was that his arm was about as strong as Peyton Mannings was after his surgery. Not as bad as Peyton's last season when it was really dead but simply not strong enough to make NFL throws. HE did seem to have what it took between the ears but sometimes that is just not enough
but to go on a rant like he did trying to call him GREAT was just so funny....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
tell us how you really feel....

Moore's problem was that his arm was about as strong as Peyton Mannings was after his surgery. Not as bad as Peyton's last season when it was really dead but simply not strong enough to make NFL throws. HE did seem to have what it took between the ears but sometimes that is just not enough
but to go on a rant like he did trying to call him GREAT was just so funny....
Oh, he had said more. He claimed he is a HOFer.... and tashard choice wad better than emmitt

Rayman70

Reaction score
Billy Bates, guy just did it all well for a very long time, like 15 years I think. UNDRAFTED.

leeblair

Reaction score

Too funny.
“What the herd hates most is the one who thinks differently; it is not so much the opinion itself, but the audacity of wanting to think for themselves, something that they do not know how to do.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
“What the herd hates most is the one who thinks differently; it is not so much the opinion itself, but the audacity of wanting to think for themselves, something that they do not know how to do.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
The herd...LOL...the herd being every single person. I don't mean majority or a large group. EVERY single person in NFL and every single fan anywhere.

Specially in lieu of every single evidence pointing to the contrary.

Then in this case you and your opinion, repeat opinion not fact is considered to be lunacy.

But go ahead google quotes. Doesn't change the facts

Too funny

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are tons of great answers but I believe it comes down to 2 guys; John Niland and Jethro Pugh.

John Niland played for 9 seasons with the Cowboys at LG and was named ALL-PRO 3 times along with 6 Pro Bowl appearances in addition he
is arguably the best Pulling Guard in Cowboys history.

Jethro Pugh played 14 years with the Cowboys. At LDT he lead the Cowboys in sacks 6 times. In addition he was a Brilliant run defender.
He was criminally overlooked when it came to Post Season Honors. From 1967 to 1972 he had seasons of 9, 15.5, 13, 13.5, 13.5, 8.5 sacks and he was 2nd team ALL-PRO in 1968 but was never chosen for a Pro Bowl.

I think even though both are way underrated, I think Jethro Pugh is the choice.
Bill Bates