**** Moved this forum to the first section! ****

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least they offered you something. We had an admin named Lindsey, who made her presence known on DC.com, and who talked about sending us mods Cowboys attire, and possibly tickets so us mods and admins could have a get together. I think maybe Jerry got wind because the next thing we knew, Lindsey had mysteriously moved on (at least that's what they told us).
The real truth is that an organization the size of the Dallas Cowboys really doesn't concern itself with a few thousand fans. A lot of companies have been shuttering their forums and user comment sections the last couple of years because they will not devote the resources required to moderate it and they don't want the embarrassment of user complaints tainting their highly controlled and managed image.

When they contacted us about the forums, we offered to become their official forums without any sort of acquisition. I told them that we had the site already live, had a lot of users and had a family-friendly set of rules that our staff enforced. It was the perfect option for them as they could have gained an instantly popular and moderated forum site without any overhead in running it. Of course it made too much sense so they said they were not interested in that option.

So what did they do? They launched their own forums and called their fan section, the "Dallas Cowboys Fan Zone" .. seriously .. they stole our primary forum name.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The real truth is that an organization the size of the Dallas Cowboys really doesn't concern itself with a few thousand fans. A lot of companies have been shuttering their forums and user comment sections the last couple of years because they will not devote the resources required to moderate it and they don't want the embarrassment of user complaints tainting their highly controlled and managed image.

When they contacted us about the forums, we offered to become their official forums without any sort of acquisition. I told them that we had the site already live, had a lot of users and had a family-friendly set of rules that our staff enforced. It was the perfect option for them as they could have gained an instantly popular and moderated forum site without any overhead in running it. Of course it made too much sense so they said they were not interested in that option.

So what did they do? They launched their own forums and called their fan section, the "Dallas Cowboys Fan Zone" .. seriously .. they stole our primary forum name.
And it probably costs money and you can't have actual discussions?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given how much this forum is being used now, I have moved it up to the first section to give it more exposure.

If posts die down in it, I may move it back so keep using it if you want it to stay!
You are just too kind to us, Unfortunately for you, that will have it's consequences. This is akin to feeding stray cats and we will not stop eating until we're in that numero uno spot replacing Fan Zone.

Ya remember when Castro put all of his wackos and undesirables on boats and sent them to Florida? I think someone on DC.com really has it in for you.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are just too kind to us, Unfortunately for you, that will have it's consequences. This is akin to feeding stray cats and we will not stop eating until we're in that numero uno spot replacing Fan Zone.

Ya remember when Castro put all of his wackos and undesirables on boats and sent them to Florida? I think someone on DC.com really has it in for you.
I actually always expected this forum to be more active than it has been. I know the placement further down the page hurt it as users here hate having too many forums on the site, but it was only used sparingly by new members until you guys showed up. I'm hoping more people will start using it now for general chit-chat with each other so we can keep those out of the on-topic forums and to some degree, even out of the Off-topic Zone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's not all they stole. I don't know if you've seen this here but I saw it on the old forum. The DC.com writers and several of the writers for DMN and FWST stole right from some of the posts on the forum for their articles and when Mosely was on Galloway and Company would use direct quotes from the forum.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not all they stole. I don't know if you've seen this here but I saw it on the old forum. The DC.com writers and several of the writers for DMN and FWST stole right from some of the posts on the forum for their articles and when Mosely was on Galloway and Company would use direct quotes from the forum.
Aye, that has happened here as well. Several of our posters here who write longer posts have complained about writers stealing their post topics, ideas and comments. It's funny how someone will post a random topic today on CZ about nothing in the news and then a day or two later, there are articles about it on multiple sites.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually always expected this forum to be more active than it has been. I know the placement further down the page hurt it as users here hate having too many forums on the site, but it was only used sparingly by new members until you guys showed up. I'm hoping more people will start using it now for general chit-chat with each other so we can keep those out of the on-topic forums and to some degree, even out of the Off-topic Zone.
What do you want in the Off-topic Zone? One of our posse, G2, aka Streetwise, was responsible for a free form forum called Fireside Chat only it did not get used enough and we ended up BSing in the main forum. We had our Pointless Waste of Time thread in the main forum. They did move it when the season started.

I admit it, I have the tendency to think amok and post the same and while I treated that has screw the system on the old forum, I do not feel that way about your site and I do want to abide by the rules. Aaaaarrrgghhh, that was so hard for me to write.

Reality, I've seen the Zone Supporter tag with a few of the members, one used to be with us and was kinda our Mom of the Forum in the regard that she tried to keep us (me) in line. What is that as I've not seen any info here about it or overlooked it?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aye, that has happened here as well. Several of our posters here who write longer posts have complained about writers stealing their post topics, ideas and comments. It's funny how someone will post a random topic today on CZ about nothing in the news and then a day or two later, there are articles about it on multiple sites.
I looked at it as a form of flattery and they have to get their ideas from somewhere and if fans are writing about that, they might want to read about that as well. I was listening to Galloway one afternoon when Mosely was on and he took a direct quote out of one of my rather off the wall posts and they all started laughing. At first, I was pissed but then I was OK with it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I looked at it as a form of flattery and they have to get their ideas from somewhere and if fans are writing about that, they might want to read about that as well. I was listening to Galloway one afternoon when Mosely was on and he took a direct quote out of one of my rather off the wall posts and they all started laughing. At first, I was pissed but then I was OK with it.
I wish they would give credit at least to the writers. I'm not worried about them crediting CZ, but the writers deserve recognition if their ideas are used for articles on other sites.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Reality, I've seen the Zone Supporter tag with a few of the members, one used to be with us and was kinda our Mom of the Forum in the regard that she tried to keep us (me) in line. What is that as I've not seen any info here about it or overlooked it?

:lmao:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you want in the Off-topic Zone? One of our posse, G2, aka Streetwise, was responsible for a free form forum called Fireside Chat only it did not get used enough and we ended up BSing in the main forum. We had our Pointless Waste of Time thread in the main forum. They did move it when the season started.

I admit it, I have the tendency to think amok and post the same and while I treated that has screw the system on the old forum, I do not feel that way about your site and I do want to abide by the rules. Aaaaarrrgghhh, that was so hard for me to write.

Well, the staff is more diligent about keeping threads on-topic in the higher forums, especially the Fan Zone. That's not to say that an off-topic post (not thread) here and there is a big deal if it doesn't create a chain of other people doing the same.

The Off-topic Zone has been our off-topic and chit-chat forum for a while because only a few non-new members would use the Members Zone. My goal is to move the chit-chat discussions to the Members Zone, which is why I also moved it up higher and put it next to the Off-topic Zone. The Off-topic Zone is primarily meant for threads that can or may interest a lot of users but do not belong in any of the other on-topic forums.

So, in other words, the chat threads like here in the Members Zone are perfect where they are and I hope they continue long enough to get more users on the site posting here. The Off-topic Zone is for non-Cowboys/Sports/etc. threads that are on-topic for some topic. While some chatting may take place, the goal is to keep most of those threads at least somewhat focused on the title of the thread.

tldr; ... Think of it like this .. The further near the top of the forum directory a forum is, the more on-topic it is :D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, the staff is more diligent about keeping threads on-topic in the higher forums, especially the Fan Zone. That's not to say that an off-topic post (not thread) here and there is a big deal if it doesn't create a chain of other people doing the same.

The Off-topic Zone has been our off-topic and chit-chat forum for a while because only a few non-new members would use the Members Zone. My goal is to move the chit-chat discussions to the Members Zone, which is why I also moved it up higher and put it next to the Off-topic Zone. The Off-topic Zone is primarily meant for threads that can or may interest a lot of users but do not belong in any of the other on-topic forums.

So, in other words, the chat threads like here in the Members Zone are perfect where they are and I hope they continue long enough to get more users on the site posting here. The Off-topic Zone is for non-Cowboys/Sports/etc. threads that are on-topic for some topic. While some chatting may take place, the goal is to keep most of those threads at least somewhat focused on the title of the thread.

tldr; ... Think of it like this .. The further near the top of the forum directory a forum is, the more on-topic it is :D
Makes sense and thanks for the explanation.

That chain you speak of, that happened probably too much for most on the old forum and I plead guilty but we also developed that as a way of discouraging trolls and would postjack their threads into our own topical ideas. Even formed our own secret society, the PJG, Post Jackers Guild, and we were terrible at keeping secrets. We openly solicited members.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes sense and thanks for the explanation.

That chain you speak of, that happened probably too much for most on the old forum and I plead guilty but we also developed that as a way of discouraging trolls and would postjack their threads into our own topical ideas. Even formed our own secret society, the PJG, Post Jackers Guild, and we were terrible at keeping secrets. We openly solicited members.
The staff tends to be a little more relaxed (to an extent of course) about things during the off-season than during the season. During the season, our traffic is even higher and there are a lot more posts and active threads which makes keeping Fan Zone threads on-topic more important then.

kskboys

Reaction score
:omg:

I had to start a new profile on the old site because mine just quit working. I tried to contact the administrators several times about but gave up when I got no response.
And it was really frustrating for us, as people would ask us questions, and we had no idea of the answer, because the admin wouldn't talk to us mods either.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And it was really frustrating for us, as people would ask us questions, and we had no idea of the answer, because the admin wouldn't talk to us mods either.
Yeah dude, the admin was complete bs