Moving Forward, can we win big with this current roster?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
We will all find out in due time. And it's going to take more than this week's Eagles game to answer this question. We'll know at the end of the season. One game does not a season make, no matter how badly you win or lose in any single game.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes. It comes down to playcalling and execution, which in turn are supported or hampered by injury and officiating.

817Gill

Reaction score
If we avoid San Fran we have as good a chance as anyone. Especially if we play at home.

Had we avoided San Fran last year we had the team to go to the NFCCG

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If we avoid San Fran we have as good a chance as anyone. Especially if we play at home.

Had we avoided San Fran last year we had the team to go to the NFCCG
We'd lose to the lions or Seattle

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they can avoid grass fields? Sure, if they are healthy in January :thumbup:

SackMaster

Reaction score
If you look around the league, all but a few teams could win it all this season. Even "the best team in the league" (record wise) has not looked great.

QB play and offensive production across the leagues is down. I think we've seen more upsets across the league than I ever remember. And it's only half way through the season.

This is NOT the 90's where only 3 teams (DAL, SF, GB) had a real shot at winning.

So TL;DR - Yes, the Cowboys could win it all this year with their roster. They just have to get hot at the right time.

Now will they? Heck if I know.
:huh:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I may in the minority but I do believe the Cowboys have enough to get to the promised land. They just need to be playing their best football in January. Because they have SO much youth in key spots I believe it's possible they will. Mazi, Clark, Bland and Bell are all just babies who will no doubt be better in January than they are now. LVE should be back for the stretch run.. Sam Williams looks like the light bulb may have gone on for him we well. On offense we really just have to stay healthy and keep reminding Dak that he's a football player not a drop back statue. Do that and the offense will be fine. Again health permitting. We need the linemen to get healthy. All of the starting five are dealing with one thing or another. Quiet as kept however, the Cowboys also may have the league's best kicker, best punter and the best return man in the business. Also in Thomas, Goodwin, Armstrong and Williams are a threat to block every kick. People keep looking at one or two guys to determine how far we can go.. when they really should be looking at all 53.
I think you're right. Everyone focuses on the quarterback after the game. Like the NFL is Madden. It takes every player on the team, and the team with the players who make the most plays usually wins. Having a quarterback helps, but it's not everything.

Otherwise, Eli Manning would have never won a Super Bowl. It's a team effort, and Any Given Sunday.

rambo2

Reaction score
They will be in good shape if they win Sunday. The Eagles and the 49ers still have to play each other. The Cowboys will play the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders twice. That could very well help them. The Cowboys really need a win Sunday and they need to get the 1 spot to get that playoff bye. A win against the Eagles and Lions and a 13 and 4 record should get the 1 spot.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I assume he's doing that to gather himself and so as not to completely lose it.. but I contend that sometimes he needs to lose it. I think the team will rally around him if he does. Being a good leader isn't always about being nice.
Then he needs to go off on his guys. A leader has to chew out a few hind ends sometimes. A leader can't always be their buddy.

Steve007

Reaction score
Do we have what it takes to make that push that Jerry sees, I mean he sees it every year regardless of what kind of roster we have. Is Jerry right, do we have a team that can get us far in the playoffs and get us that 6th ring??? Please give your thoughts. I'd love to go to a Superbowl!!
No. Look at the last few years. They look the same every year. Why is this team any better to get to the Superbow?

rxande45

Reaction score
Do we have what it takes to make that push that Jerry sees, I mean he sees it every year regardless of what kind of roster we have. Is Jerry right, do we have a team that can get us far in the playoffs and get us that 6th ring??? Please give your thoughts. I'd love to go to a Superbowl!!
One and Done! Soft in the middle on Offense and Defense against physical teams.

_sturt_

Reaction score
We do, but "it's like anything"... to quote my favorite drinking contest line... injuries will matter. Who still has their prime assets for the post season. It's a game of attrition.

Count me with those who aren't especially disappointed by the lack of any deadline trade.

We've somewhat addressed LVE's loss, arguably the most glaring void. As some have already said here, the Rashaan Evans signing effectively added a starter-quality player to the 53-man without even having to give up something in return (!).

We're not in bad shape, knock on wood, and all things considered on the O-line, though sure, it would have been great if a consequential add could have been made. Main thing there is to see our best 5 guys finally put together a game where they're in sync and the running game proves it.

Speaking of running game, I don't consider the RBs the problem. Where I've had any concern was pass protection, and the Rams game gives me some relief. Pollard and Dowdle both were adequate to the task, and of course, it helps that Dak's been as willing to use his legs. Short yardage? I think increasingly this guy naturally gets a real shot at that.

I forget what game, but Luepke is 1 of 1 on consequential short yardage plays.

The only area where it seems, knock on wood, we could get thin real quick is at DB. Yet even there, practice squad member Josh Butler had himself a reason-for-optimism training camp. And a casualty of the Niners moves was Kendall Sheffield who actually had a recent game in which he merited the highest performance score among CBs for that weekend... Sheffield was with us late last season, and was someone DQ drafted in ATL just before exiting.

We have a lot going for us and little going against us. That's about the most you can hope for in the NFL when there are 31 other teams trying to get better, and plausibly 8-9 of them, if things fell just right (especially injury wise), could end up playing in February.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I may in the minority but I do believe the Cowboys have enough to get to the promised land. They just need to be playing their best football in January. Because they have SO much youth in key spots I believe it's possible they will. Mazi, Clark, Bland and Bell are all just babies who will no doubt be better in January than they are now. LVE should be back for the stretch run.. Sam Williams looks like the light bulb may have gone on for him we well. On offense we really just have to stay healthy and keep reminding Dak that he's a football player not a drop back statue. Do that and the offense will be fine. Again health permitting. We need the linemen to get healthy. All of the starting five are dealing with one thing or another. Quiet as kept however, the Cowboys also may have the league's best kicker, best punter and the best return man in the business. Also in Thomas, Goodwin, Armstrong and Williams are a threat to block every kick. People keep looking at one or two guys to determine how far we can go.. when they really should be looking at all 53.
Excellent post! Agree completely!

We have a bunch of good young player that should get better and better as the season goes along.

If the light has finally clicked for Sam Williams that is huge!!!!!

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
No. Every other contending team got better at the trade deadline except for us. This organization clearly doesn't care about winning as their primary goal.