Much ado about Lance (or nothing)

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Let's say the Dak deal doesn't get done by week 1.

I know there are people out there (not too many, but some) who really think Rush is better than even Dak (which would make him a lot better than Lance) but if Dak should get hurt Lance should be the #2. It would help to see how he manages a game. I can't (or won't) imagine a scenario where you give up on a 4th round pick after 2 years, which Lance essentially is.

I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an above-average backup deal here in Dallas. Hell, the Raiders gave ~$10m to Minshew, right?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I know there are people out there (not too many, but some) who really think Rush is better than even Dak (which would make him a lot better than Lance) but if Dak should get hurt Lance should be the #2. It would help to see how he manages a game. I can't (or won't) imagine a scenario where you give up on a 4th round pick after 2 years, which Lance essentially is.

I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an above-average backup deal here in Dallas. Hell, the Raiders gave ~$10m to Minshew, right?
The fans who think Cooper Rush is better than Dak are in the twilight zone and shouldn’t even be following football. Some fans want Lance to be the backup or even the starter regardless if he can play or not.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
IDK I have to think that if Dak returns Lance will get his walking papers after the season.

The Bengals have Browning at 915k. The Browns pay Jameis $4M. LA has Easton Stick making $2.6M. Mike White makes $4M.

I havent looked through every major QB contract so I could be wrong but it seems the teams that have them are not paying their backups top money. If Lance were to command a raise on the open market, which seems likely I would have to think hes long gone.

Shane612

Reaction score
Lance is Jerry's personal project to turn him into a serviceable QB.
Jerry won't let him be cut...not this year, any way.
Personally, I think Lance looked pretty good against LVR, considering all things.
Above average arm and very mobile. Jerry likes.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Lance will be on the team. He cost about 5M and cutting him would have a cap hit of 5M and thus he will be on the roster. Cutting rush would save 2 M. Most of lances salary was a bonus. Financially keeping Lance makes more sense.

Unless somebody offers a mid round draft pick for Lance and I would be all over that

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We’ll be paying 50 million for QB next season one way or another. But if Lance can develop enough to start within the year, it would pay off massively in 2026. Instead of paying 60-70 million to Dak, we’d probably have a cap hit under 30 million at QB.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fans who think Cooper Rush is better than Dak are in the twilight zone and shouldn’t even be following football. Some fans want Lance to be the backup or even the starter regardless if he can play or not.
I'd like to know who..or at least how many, you think say this.

I'm sure a few people would rather have rush or trey.....not necessarily because they are better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance is Jerry's personal project to turn him into a serviceable QB.
Jerry won't let him be cut...not this year, any way.
Personally, I think Lance looked pretty good against LVR, considering all things.
Above average arm and very mobile. Jerry likes.....
I thought he looked good too. Very much more comfortable, good arm (despite what some say about his "5 yard passes")....very careful with his scrambles. Just keep getting better and we got us a qb!

blueblood70

Reaction score
We’ll be paying 50 million for QB next season one way or another. But if Lance can develop enough to start within the year, it would pay off massively in 2026. Instead of paying 60-70 million to Dak, we’d probably have a cap hit under 30 million at QB.
It won't pay unless you're looking for draft payoff if he starts in 2025 we'll be lucky to probably win six games so we'll be picking in the top five maybe top eight top ten will have area room to move up and get a quarterback or get a top player but yeah if you think that he's gonna develop even remotely I think that you're not seeing the same thing we do not have a team set up to cover up his deficiencies right now there is no strong run game there is no dominant defense there's nothing on this team except for the special teams that's great right now that can take the time and be good with a developmental quarterback so yeah his presents will get us a top finish in the draft maybe a couple years in a row and we can start the rebuild process and in that case I'm trading everyone if Prescott's not on this team in 2025 we need to trade lamb Parsons diggs and then get rid of Martin let him retire and also tank say bye bye just really rebuild the team thinking that we're better off without Prescott and Trey Lance is our savior? Right now he's fighting Cooper rush for the backup that's all I need to know that is gonna be a tough sell to even get Trey Lance the number two spot this year he'll be on the team yes is the emergency third..

McMicah

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone on this forum believes that Cooper or Lance are better than Dak, but there are those (myself included) who think Dak hasn’t really improved in many years (in accuracy, consistency, etc) and would be fascinated to see Lance get a full season of experience, and see how much he grows over that time period to be able to evaluate his long term prospects with the team. Additionally, you can put a lot more talent around Lance than around Dak bc of $$

In summary, Dak is like rereading a book with a bad ending for the 5th time. Sometimes you just want a new book, even if it has worse reviews, maybe it’ll have a surprise ending

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rush is NOT better than Dak, but there are some things that he DOES better than Dak!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an above-average backup deal here in Dallas.
By the end of the year, if Lance proves equal or better than Rush, Lance will get a new deal and Rush won't be a Cowboys after this season.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
I watched both pre-season games and left both scratching my head about Lance's inaccuracy at his level. NFL defenses are going to chew him up. I just can not imagine his accuracy or touch is going to improve much. I don't buy the "it's a lack of game time or practice" excuse, come'on man, the guy has been playing football for how many years and the throwing skill should be polished by now. Other than being another RPO-driven product, not sure what the scouts see. If Dallas was interested in that type of offense, maybe he could succeed. I still believe he was acquired as future trade bait. JJ might feel he can pull off a 4th for a 1st for a 2nd round pick deal at the end of this.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither Dak or Rush is a legit #1. Trey at least has potential.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Rush reminds me of a baseball pitcher who gets called up and goes 3-1 with a 2.8 era, and you get all excited, and then he finishes the year 8-10 with a 4.6 era. I dont see him as a full time starter. Nor Lance. Unfortunately if Dallas ever wins it all in my lifetime I dont think that qb is on the team right now.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I dont know. Has there ever been a top 5 pick at qb languish for 3 full seasons with just 100 pass attempts total for those 3 years and then become a starter? I cant think of any

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dont know. Has there ever been a top 5 pick at qb languish for 3 full seasons with just 100 pass attempts total for those 3 years and then become a starter? I cant think of any
this is true however don't forget he was injured he was on a team that was in win now mode and decided that he wasn't worth developing so he didn't really get a chance.. As they say there's a first time for everything not saying this kids gonna develop or gonna be a starter or be any good I'm saying that there's always a first time and there's good reason why he didn't get on the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are completely lost if you don’t think Dak is a legit #1 QB. You’re just being ridiculous! You’re starting to remind me of leeblair.