Much ado about Lance (or nothing)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Minshew is fighting to start. Lance has no chance in starting outside of injury. Huge difference.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are completely lost if you don’t think Dak is a legit #1 QB. You’re just being ridiculous! You’re starting to remind me of leeblair.
Okay. Let me know when he beats a good NFL defense and I'll be all in LOL.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The time and resources being put into Lance really has me questioning the teams commitment to Dak longterm. If they really really really want him back then they are using the resources in hopes of dumping Trey for a pick. If they really really really want a fresh start then the "We want Dak" talk is fake, and they want to see more of Trey. I dunno it's all bizarre and nobody can get a read as to what is actually going on

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know. Has there ever been a top 5 pick at qb languish for 3 full seasons with just 100 pass attempts total for those 3 years and then become a starter? I cant think of any
I can only go by what I am seeing and hearing

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone on this forum believes that Cooper or Lance are better than Dak, but there are those (myself included) who think Dak hasn’t really improved in many years (in accuracy, consistency, etc) and would be fascinated to see Lance get a full season of experience, and see how much he grows over that time period to be able to evaluate his long term prospects with the team. Additionally, you can put a lot more talent around Lance than around Dak bc of $$

In summary, Dak is like rereading a book with a bad ending for the 5th time. Sometimes you just want a new book, even if it has worse reviews, maybe it’ll have a surprise ending
"In summary, Dak is like rereading a book with a bad ending for the 5th time. Sometimes you just want a new book, even if it has worse reviews, maybe it’ll have a surprise ending"

Man what does this say about your theory this FO will put talent around a QB if he got payed less... you read Dak's book but not this FO's 30 year book?.. This theory to me is more ridiculous than any theory out there...."I know this FO cant win with Daks play but if they get worse QB play THEN they would build a team around it."...WHAT???... Dak and Romo had years they were cap hit cheap...remind me of the teams this FO built around it please...

stiletto

Reaction score
I watched both pre-season games and left both scratching my head about Lance's inaccuracy at his level. NFL defenses are going to chew him up. I just can not imagine his accuracy or touch is going to improve much. I don't buy the "it's a lack of game time or practice" excuse, come'on man, the guy has been playing football for how many years and the throwing skill should be polished by now. Other than being another RPO-driven product, not sure what the scouts see. If Dallas was interested in that type of offense, maybe he could succeed. I still believe he was acquired as future trade bait. JJ might feel he can pull off a 4th for a 1st for a 2nd round pick deal at the end of this.
That's me... It's extremely bothersome to me and can't be under stated. I can get past the defensive reads and slowness to go through his progressions because that can get better. The whole accuracy thing, I believe Aikman on that. You either have it or you don't. Lance clearly doesn't. No bueno!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Dak is signed , there is almost no way Lance returns. Too much money invested in the qb position

Dak getting signed is a big big if obviously
Actually I never thought about it. Why would they develop Lance if they had no intentions of him coming back? They have to be interested in bringing him back at least at a certain price?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance is Jerry's personal project to turn him into a serviceable QB.
Jerry won't let him be cut...not this year, any way.
Personally, I think Lance looked pretty good against LVR, considering all things.
Above average arm and very mobile. Jerry likes.....
Why would he get cut when his contract is guaranteed?

stiletto

Reaction score
Actually I never thought about it. Why would they develop Lance if they had no intentions of him coming back? They have to be interested in bringing him back at least at a certain price?
Maybe if Dak signs a shorter deal like a 2-3 year thing? Lance will be (in theory) more developed and still only be 26-27. I am skeptical of Lance at all because of his accuracy but that would be the only thing that made sense. Sort of a Jordan Love thing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe if Dak signs a shorter deal like a 2-3 year thing? Lance will be (in theory) more developed and still only be 26-27. I am skeptical of Lance at all because of his accuracy but that would be the only thing that made sense. Sort of a Jordan Love thing.
Even if he signed a 4 or 5 year deal I could justify bringing him back. The issue though is they complain about available funds,,.how much do they plan to invest in backup qb?

Praxit

Reaction score
Let's say the Dak deal doesn't get done by week 1.

I know there are people out there (not too many, but some) who really think Rush is better than even Dak (which would make him a lot better than Lance) but if Dak should get hurt Lance should be the #2. It would help to see how he manages a game. I can't (or won't) imagine a scenario where you give up on a 4th round pick after 2 years, which Lance essentially is.

I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an above-average backup deal here in Dallas. Hell, the Raiders gave ~$10m to Minshew, right?
..yep. I think Rush lost his second string job to Lance.

IMO....I do feel Lance is better. The guy just needs more XP.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Trey played pretty well. Had a couple "long" passes...tight roped! Manage the game and his run game pretty well. Sweet swift run up the middle.

I'm not sure what people are looking at or for. To just be instantly better than Dak?

Okay...so it's possible we'd take a step back....for a bit. I now completely understand the whole "potential" angle. It;s there. He's gradually dialing up to it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Okay. Let me know when he beats a good NFL defense and I'll be all in LOL.
He beat the Jets and Carolina who were ranked in the top 5 in total defense in 2023. He beat New England who was ranked 7th in total defense in 2023. If your goal is to not be taken seriously, you’ve accomplished it. :thumbup:

sbark

Reaction score
I dont know. Has there ever been a top 5 pick at qb languish for 3 full seasons with just 100 pass attempts total for those 3 years and then become a starter? I cant think of any
Kurt warner.....bagged groceries for 3 yrs
Boom....All pro