Video: Murray led the NFL in yards, then retired after only 3 more seasons. What happened?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Murray achieved greatness once but it wasn't just because he was a great back.

1. We had a all the things in place for a good back to take the next step and be great.
a. a great OL
b. a really good QB
c. good receivers
2. Murray was never consistently good here, but it all came together in his contract year where he could actually stay healthy to take advantage of all of our talent offensively.

After that the same issues he had the 1st 3 years rose up and the eagles quickly regretted out paying the cowboys for his service.
He was really good in 2013, too but we consistently abandoned the running game that year.

John813

Reaction score
injuries and wear re-appeared. He wasnt made of glass in Dallas but he always missed a couple of games a year due to hammy or groin or something.

Yea, we got lucky in 14 that his injuries weren't bad enough for him to miss time.

He ran hard and didn't shy from contact. Most backs like him don't have a long lifespan.

He was really good in 2013, too but we consistently abandoned the running game that year.

IMO Murray had always flashed his talent from his rookie year but we never cared to run the ball consistently IMO. We lived and died with the Romo theatrics too often early on.

Was it 2013 where we blew several games with leads due to 2nd half INTs?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yea, we got lucky in 14 that his injuries weren't bad enough for him to miss time.

He ran hard and didn't shy from contact. Most backs like him don't have a long lifespan.

IMO Murray had always flashed his talent from his rookie year but we never cared to run the ball consistently IMO. We lived and died with the Romo theatrics too often early on.

Yes. We even had GB players being thankful we quit running the ball. Here is a stroll down nightmare lane:

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-happy-cowboys-abandoned-running-game-0ap2000000299618

terra

Reaction score

As usual the urban legend is not factual. The D kept giving up leads and thus we had to pass late. When you have to pass, picks will happen.

BUT our OC cum HC loved to pass and hated to run and thus we ended up blowing several games we probably should have won with a greater reliance on the running game. But as I said our D kept giving up late scores as well.

terra

Reaction score
Oh the joys of remembering that shitshow of a game lol.

Almost as bad as the 2011 Lions game where Carpenter sparked the comeback against us.
That game should have ended Garrett. Romo was having an off day and when your QB is having a bad day you lean on your running game. What does Garrett do? Passes more. Did not help that our D started to lay down as well.

John813

Reaction score
As usual the urban legend is not factual. The D kept giving up leads and thus we had to pass late. When you have to pass, picks will happen.

BUT our OC cum HC loved to pass and hated to run and thus we ended up blowing several games we probably should have won with a greater reliance on the running game. But as I said our D kept giving up late scores as well.

That game the defense did give up 2nd half scores but the offense did go away from the run game and stalled drives. We were leading 36-31 before Romo threw a pick on 2nd down and 6 which lead to the game winning drive for the Packers.

In 2011 Romo's pick to Carpenter sparked a 24 point comeback.

Sure some of it may be "urban legend" and our defense did suck, but we had games where we shot ourselves in the foot passing the ball too much with leads.

Garrett failed to manage the games with his offense until Linehan came here and there was more emphasis on the run game.

quickccc

Reaction score
Despite a team record 1800+ yards single season rushing total. Cowboys Team apparently still saw Murray as limited, short order serviceable workhorse.
Maybe they thought his extremely productive year was more the works of the OL, and teams not really focused on him than they were Tony Romo.

- Supposedly they low balled him into a low tier, new contract, and he walked away for a much bigger deal (per Philly)
The point that they would dare prepared to skip over the NFL draft to promote "meat on the bone" Joseph Randle to be our new featured lead back ( horrible decision !!)
lets you know how much (or how very little) they thought of DeMarco Murray as their featured back.

- Cowboys apparently thought he was just serviceable, ..not a superstar. And they responded accordingly.
Ironically until that particular spectacular 2014 season, Murray had some issues with nicks and bangs, such that no one thought he could handle such a heavy load of carries and
punishment pounding.

- Where did Murray take off from there ? A north-south style back in a scat back, east west style Chip Kelly offense, he became a disaster waste.
Then he eventually went to Tennessee, where he fit in as a serviceable starting back.. until Derrick Henry eventually took the reins.- en route to superstar dust.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I don't remember abandoning the run but keep in mind he only played in all 16 games once as a cowboy and that was 2014. But maybe they did limit how many rushes he could get since he only played in 13 and 10 games his first 2 years.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

addressed this just now from the other poster. I think it may have stemmed from how injury prone he was the 1st few years. he missed 3, then 6, then 2, and finally played all 16 in a contract year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
addressed this just now from the other poster. I think it may have stemmed from how injury prone he was the 1st few years. he missed 3, then 6, then 2, and finally played all 16 in a contract year.
Yup and the injury he had if it wasnt a contract year he would have sat a game or two.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yup and the injury he had if it wasnt a contract year he would have sat a game or two.
Or perhaps the Injury he sustained in 2014 (hand) was something he could play through while the injury’s to his ankle, foot and knee in the previous years weren’t?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am "officially" on hiatus from here...but admittedly lurking a bit. I feel very compelled to log in and comment.

We can offer up all kinds of cherry picked statistics to prove any point we want. The playoff game against the Packers....Murray broke my heart. WAY more than Romo ever did. Why more than Romo? I dunno....maybe because Romo was asked to win win win over and over and only a matter of time before it doesn't work. I dunno just is.

All Murray had to do was hang on to that rock and run to the end zone. You wanna be the great RB? Regardless of gaudy stats or contracts? Don't let someone punch out the ball form behind in an open field.

So...we didn't score there, Packers did, 1st half ends...then they scored on their 2nd half opening drive. 17 point swing. Hard to point to just one play...sure. But "momentum" isn't just a cliche....it's real. We score there it's a different game.

Romo gets massacred an entire career for a kicking hold miscue he should NEVER have been in on...and Murray gets away scot free for this? You guys can carry on talking stats and contracts. Sometimes.....it's just one play.

I will also enjoy taking heat for logging back in, as a lurker of course.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I am "officially" on hiatus from here...but admittedly lurking a bit. I feel very compelled to log in and comment.

We can offer up all kinds of cherry picked statistics to prove any point we want. The playoff game against the Packers....Murray broke my heart. WAY more than Romo ever did. Why more than Romo? I dunno....maybe because Romo was asked to win win win over and over and only a matter of time before it doesn't work. I dunno just is.

All Murray had to do was hang on to that rock and run to the end zone. You wanna be the great RB? Regardless of gaudy stats or contracts? Don't let someone punch out the ball form behind in an open field.

So...we didn't score there, Packers did, 1st half ends...then they scored on their 2nd half opening drive. 17 point swing. Hard to point to just one play...sure. But "momentum" isn't just a cliche....it's real. We score there it's a different game.

Romo gets massacred an entire career for a kicking hold miscue he should NEVER have been in on...and Murray gets away scot free for this? You guys can carry on talking stats and contracts. Sometimes.....it's just one play.

I will also enjoy taking heat for logging back in, as a lurker of course.
Hey man. Good to see you back.

Keep in mind, Murray fumbled first possession in 2nd half. The end of the first half was Bailey’s missed FG and GB kicked their own filed goal before half.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He had one year where he was as good as Zeke was for several years. So to be blunt your opinion is worthless.
Zeke is more durable but the better RB is Marco. But I will allow you your opinion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey man. Good to see you back.

Keep in mind, Murray fumbled first possession in 2nd half. The end of the first half was Bailey’s missed FG and GB kicked their own filed goal before half.
Hello aviano.....good to see you too. And thank you for the correction...that isn't how I remember it but I trust you.

It changes very little on my comment. It's rare you can point to one play. It's hard to hate on Murray like so many do with Romo, Dak, Zeke and a few others. But that fumble.....was a killer. And did Murray play another game? Do I again misremember? Cowboys let him walk to Eagles?

If true...you have to wonder.....did Jerry treat him bad or did he seal his own fate? If Murray takes that in and we win that game....Murray would never been allowed to just walk to Eagles. Might even have a SB appearance or better.

I forgive him for it...like I do with all my Cowboys blunders....starting with...best of my memory...Jackie Smith. But I won't forget.....our moment to shine.....and Murray let the ball go. I don't really care what happened after that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Hello aviano.....good to see you too. And thank you for the correction...that isn't how I remember it but I trust you.

It changes very little on my comment. It's rare you can point to one play. It's hard to hate on Murray like so many do with Romo, Dak, Zeke and a few others. But that fumble.....was a killer. And did Murray play another game? Do I again misremember? Cowboys let him walk to Eagles?

If true...you have to wonder.....did Jerry treat him bad or did he seal his own fate? If Murray takes that in and we win that game....Murray would never been allowed to just walk to Eagles. Might even have a SB appearance or better.

I forgive him for it...like I do with all my Cowboys blunders....starting with...best of my memory...Jackie Smith. But I won't forget.....our moment to shine.....and Murray let the ball go. I don't really care what happened after that.
It was a big fumble, no doubt. Mistakes happen and he came back the next drive and jammed it down their throats to open an 8 point lead and re-establish control of the game. We just couldn’t stop the Packers or score the rest of the game though. I do think if we we would have scored at the end of the first half or on our first drive on the 2nd half where Murray fumbled that we probably win that game.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Look at the bright side...he fleeced the Eagles. I can not think of a more deserving team to get fleeced by an ex-Cowboy...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a big fumble, no doubt. Mistakes happen and he came back the next drive and jammed it down their throats to open an 8 point lead and re-establish control of the game. We just couldn’t stop the Packers or score the rest of the game though. I do think if we we would have scored at the end of the first half or on our first drive on the 2nd half where Murray fumbled that we probably win that game.
I get it.

Most people know I am a tOSU fan. Few people know that Eddie George fumbled his first NCAA carry at the goal line. Then he fumbled his second carry.

Welll to be honest....all I really remember is he was a freshman and it was Illini. But...yes fumbles happen even to great players. Murray's......well it just should not have happened. He wasn't fighting for yards he was careless. It was very costly.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
wrong. Per her wikipedia page, She was named 53rd most powerful celebrity by Forbes in 2007, two years before she married Brady. She was one of Time's 100 most influential people in the world in 2007. She made $35M in 2008, a year before she married Brady. She was rolling in it when they got together. Could you say that their marriage benefitted each of them financially, absolutely. But marring tom Brady did not make her more famous.
ok I buy what you say, but marrying tom had to make her more widely known hence more famous. It was good for her.
I had never heard of her before that.
She is also a business woman, she sell shoes and no telling what else.

Also she gets shown and mentioned during the SB which is the most watch tv event of the year, that is free advertising for her, and it makes her more widely known.
All that fame, exposure, and being married to Tom, helps her make more money.