Video: Murray led the NFL in yards, then retired after only 3 more seasons. What happened?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I get it.

Most people know I am a tOSU fan. Few people know that Eddie George fumbled his first NCAA carry at the goal line. Then he fumbled his second carry.

Welll to be honest....all I really remember is he was a freshman and it was Illini. But...yes fumbles happen even to great players. Murray's......well it just should not have happened. He wasn't fighting for yards he was careless. It was very costly.
I blame martin more than murray.

kskboys

Reaction score
Look at the bright side...he fleeced the Eagles. I can not think of a more deserving team to get fleeced by an ex-Cowboy...
He didn't. Eagles signed him for too much, and then ran a great inside runner outside. They fleeced themselves!!!!

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
ok I buy what you say, but marrying tom had to make her more widely known hence more famous. It was good for her.
I had never heard of her before that.
She is also a business woman, she sell shoes and no telling what else.

Also she gets shown and mentioned during the SB which is the most watch tv event of the year, that is free advertising for her, and it makes her more widely known.
All that fame, exposure, and being married to Tom, helps her make more money.
I clearly stated that they have both benefitted financially from the marriage. But just because you didn't know who she was doesn't mean she wasn't already ultra wealthy and famous. Because she was.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Or perhaps the Injury he sustained in 2014 (hand) was something he could play through while the injury’s to his ankle, foot and knee in the previous years weren’t?
He had surgery and hardware installed. Just odd in a contract year he was tough enough to play through a broken bone.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He had surgery and hardware installed. Just odd in a contract year he was tough enough to play through a broken bone.
Well, I am sure if he were the QB the broken hand would prevent him from playing. Do you think if he fractured his ankle in 2014 instead of 2011, that he would play through it because it was a contract year? Would you even want your RB trying to play on a broken ankle?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
449 touches in 2014 season. That's what happened to him. Go see what happens to RBs who have those kinds of touches in a season.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Well, I am sure if he were the QB the broken hand would prevent him from playing. Do you think if he fractured his ankle in 2014 instead of 2011, that he would play through it because it was a contract year? Would you even want your RB trying to play on a broken ankle?
But it would have been nive to see him try and play through some sprains and strains.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The curse of 370 happened. It's a thing and it is incredibly consistent. Very few RB's have survived it. By survived, I mean achieved anywhere near the same success they had up until hitting 370.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray put in his time in Dallas and was a great value draft pick. He put up one the best seasons for a rb in NFL history winning the league's offensive MVP award. He is also the first offensive MVP in league history to not be re-signed. The decision not to resign him has cost this franchise far more than the modest contract he got from chip Kelly in Philly. Without Murray, the offense collapsed the following year, and we ended up drafting Zeke Elliot #4 overall to fill the void. Zeke appears to have peaked as a rookie but is now the highest paid RB in NFL history. Oh the irony......

bewp7

Reaction score
hes a running back lol

thats why u dont pay them. for every freak like adrian peterson or frank gore there is 50 or 100 murrays.

rb shelf life is like 2-3 year for usual.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The curse of 370 happened. It's a thing and it is incredibly consistent. Very few RB's have survived it. By survived, I mean achieved anywhere near the same success they had up until hitting 370.

Curse of injuries. Carries are not hurting the RB it is the injuries that catch up. damn near every RB who has had the so called magic 370 if you look a bit deeper they retired or saw play go down because of injuries. I guess you could equate the more carries you get the more likely of injury but the carries alone were not the reason serious knee injuries were.

Lutonio

Reaction score
The days when Dallas actually knew the value of the RB position. A season or two later they had the reanimated corpse of Darren McFadden back to relevance.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curse of injuries. Carries are not hurting the RB it is the injuries that catch up. damn near every RB who has had the so called magic 370 if you look a bit deeper they retired or saw play go down because of injuries. I guess you could equate the more carries you get the more likely of injury but the carries alone were not the reason serious knee injuries were.
But your "I guess" is the entire point. There's a very strong correlation between RBs getting exceptionally high usage and their bodies breaking down. Is it possible that it's just coincidence? Sure: correlation does not equal causation. But there's a pretty obvious mechanism linking the two things that makes for a strong hypothesis. And I know which way I'd bet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But your "I guess" is the entire point. There's a very strong correlation between RBs getting exceptionally high usage and their bodies breaking down. Is it possible that it's just coincidence? Sure: correlation does not equal causation. But there's a pretty obvious mechanism linking the two things that makes for a strong hypothesis. And I know which way I'd bet.

Within a season sure I would expect you to slow down if being over used, after a season even with 300 plus carries these guys have 6 months off, sorry if you look at the players with those carries it was injuries that killed them not the carries.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Within a season sure I would expect you to slow down if being over used, after a season even with 300 plus carries these guys have 6 months off, sorry if you look at the players with those carries it was injuries that killed them not the carries.
So you think it's just a coincidence that virtually all those guys that saw exceptionally high usage, who took all those hits, saw their bodies break down right after?

Hey, baseball catchers also get six months off between seasons. It's just a weird coincidence that they all end up with bad knees.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So you think it's just a coincidence that virtually all those guys that saw exceptionally high usage, who took all those hits, saw their bodies break down right after?

Hey, baseball catchers also get six months off between seasons. It's just a weird coincidence that they all end up with bad knees.

I think when you look up the details on these player the knee injuries they sustained is what killed them. Terrell Davis had a ton of carries for 3 straight season and put up 2000 yards the following season he blowout his knee and that ended his ability as a RB. Look at the names of the guys who had over 300 carries in a season and you will see injuries and in some cases off the field issues that ended their career. No I don't think there is a magic number that is a RB reaches then it is all down hill. I do think injuries specially leg injuries like the knee can kill a RB ability to produce.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith had 8 season where he carried over 300 times and the only thing that finally caught up to him was age. Smith never had any serious knee injuries and was relatively healthy though out his career.

lostar2009

Reaction score
The stupid FO is what happen. He wanted more money but from my understanding they severely low ball the man. We thought any RB could run with our line. And of course they FO was proven wrong. The end result was the same on both sides a tragic. Murray went to a team that just wanted him paid him some money but wasn't a good fit. He put up some bad stats on his first year and with a RB its a death sentence. Since then he pretty much played second fiddle.