Musical artists you've gotten grief over for liking or disliking

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Doors music is basicaally Blues/Jazz/Poetry driven. Anyways, for me rap is creepy. Guys talking with a drrum beat (from little i've heard), talking gangsta crap 'bout their hoes and their money. If I wanted to listen to only talk, it wouldn't be rap, rather listen to Gandhi backed with a drum beat myself. At least he'll talk about something more universal that all races can relate to.

Yeah, I hate the gangsta rap where they babble about shooting people and raping women. That crap totally creeps me out. I've only occasionally come across rap that I thought was fun and creative. I would recommend "Epic Rap Battles in History." You can find the videos on Youtube. I can recommend especially the Adam vs Eve one. Jenna Marbles is in it and it's hilarious. I'm not going to post the link because there's some coarse language in it, which is probably against CZ rules. But you can find it easily.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like so many different genres of music and bands, but I have rarely had anyone say anything negative other than a passing comment usually being funny.

That said, I have gotten grief several times for not liking or, in some cases, not loving a band or singer that many or most people like.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Not being a fan of Pearl Jam or grunge scene in 90’s ..I did like some Alice In Chains and Nirvana songs,just wasn’t interested in the whole flannel clique anti social thing. It was jtoo Haight St... I like a lot of music or songs I bet people would hate,and vice versa. Take your guys convo up there..I don’t like Queen for instance,but do like The Doors,and yes it is omnious dark music. They’re on drugs and Jim is reading poems in his pocket from weird thoughts in his head,It’s Beatnik stuff. My taste changes a lot though. One minute early new wave,then easy listening or rock,then some DJ dance songs so loud have to go someplace away from gen public to rock it out.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Not being a fan of Pearl Jam or grunge scene in 90’s ..I did like some Alice In Chains and Nirvana songs,just wasn’t interested in the whole flannel clique anti social thing. It was jtoo Haight St... I like a lot of music or songs I bet people would hate,and vice versa. Take your guys convo up there..I don’t like Queen for instance,but do like The Doors,and yes it is omnious dark music. They’re on drugs and Jim is reading poems in his pocket from weird thoughts in his head,It’s Beatnik stuff. My taste changes a lot though. One minute early new wave,then easy listening or rock,then some DJ dance songs so loud have to go someplace away from gen public to rock it out.

The doors specifically Jim Morrison were on acid and weed during the first two albums. Those last few albums the dude gave up acid and was a straight up alcoholic. He also started using cocaine when it came on the scene and sadly thanks to his girlfriend Heroin.

The rest of the guys were basically just pot heads. Ray and John just smoked pot, john had a bad trip and never used those heavy drugs again and I think ray and robby just stopped.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I get grief for not worshiping Queen. I don't even hate them. They're just not at the top of my list. I think they're musically brilliant, but their lyrics actually annoy me, especially that song about the bicycle. And that song with "mama, I killed a man" has lyrics that IMO sound idiotic. I think Freddy Mercury was a good singer, but he should have left the lyric writing to someone else. Of course, I don't expect everyone to have the same perspective as I do. If they love his lyrics, that's fine with me. But, man, I've caught some grief for not loving everything about Freddy Mercury. Okay, whatever. If that upsets people, it's not my problem. It's not my job in life to tiptoe around everything that might trigger someone. I can't imagine why it would ruin someone's day just if I don't like some lyrics that they think are great.

I would have to agree with you on Maroon 5, the Jonas Brothers, and U2. Everything about these artists makes me gag. It's a mystery to me why anyone would pay money to hear them, but, hey, to each his own, I guess.

OMG, I can't believe I forgot to mention the artist I HATE more than any other: James Blunt. It blows my mind that anyone likes his music. Yelch.

Bohemian Rhapsody is about coming out of the closet without saying it directly. At least this is what I was led to believe years ago.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
The doors specifically Jim Morrison were on acid and weed during the first two albums. Those last few albums the dude gave up acid and was a straight up alcoholic. He also started using cocaine when it came on the scene and sadly thanks to his girlfriend Heroin.

The rest of the guys were basically just pot heads. Ray and John just smoked pot, john had a bad trip and never used those heavy drugs again and I think ray and robby just stopped.
I know....read Ray’s book as teen about the Doors. You’d laugh,but that Doors movie? Saw filming and still hang out at place they had open air concert with big bon fire and naked women dancing. It’s a state owned water temple sanctuary park.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
We all have different taste in music, and that's fine. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Post artists who you've gotten grief over either for liking or disliking. Here are mine.

Got grief for liking:
Kiss -- I love them for their music. Their stage shows and theatrics were way cool too, but for me it was always about the music.
Tiffany -- Some people disliked her, but I really thought she had a powerful set of pipes and could belt out a tune. Gonna see her perform tonight in Omaha.
Abba -- I was always surprised by people disliking Abba. I thought they had a unique and amazing sound from their complex vocal harmonies.

Got grief for disliking:
Pink Floyd
The Doors
-- I'm not saying these two bands are not talented. Clearly they are. They just don't jive with my personal taste. I dislike them both for the same reason: Their music creeps me out.

Okay, your turn. Remember, it's okay to like something that others don't or to dislike something that's popular. Whatever works for you is cool.

I as well caught grief for liking KISS as a youngster, I can even remember being hung up on by radios DJ's I had called to request they play Calling Dr. Love. Even though they were huge they weren't considered up there musically with Zeppelin/Floyd/Rush etc.
Also Rush, people either seem to love them or hate them.
Ditto for the Beatles. A lot of the people that hate them only know their material before Rubber Soul.

Some people that are huge that I have no clue why...
Nickleback.
Foo Fighters
2 bands that excel at making commercial sounding, been done before cookie cutter rock. Ditto for U2. I call it "dad rock".
Garth Brooks.
Can name several more but that's enough for now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doors music is basicaally Blues/Jazz/Poetry driven. Anyways, for me rap is creepy. Guys talking with a drrum beat (from little i've heard), talking gangsta crap 'bout their hoes and their money. If I wanted to listen to only talk, it wouldn't be rap, rather listen to Gandhi backed with a drum beat myself. At least he'll talk about something more universal that all races can relate to.
I seriously thought I was the only one who thought that way about rap.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

There's a lot more out there besides the gangsta stuff. There are some that I would agree sound like just talking but the best are closer to poetry set to music.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This is the first I'm ever hearing of people catching grief for liking KISS. Well, unless they were holy rollers screaming that KISS stood for Knights in Satan's Service way back in the day. I ignore those freaks anyhow.