Musical artists you've gotten grief over for liking or disliking

Londonboy

Reaction score
Not liking the Beetles is seen as some sort of sacrilege, but I just find them too simplistic and sing-a-longee.
Loving Chopin, Joplin and Motorhead is seen as a bit of an odd mix by some.
Sparks keyboardist sporting a Hitler tash hasn't done Me any favours.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never caught any grief for liking or not liking any and likewise, never given any to anyone because that's art and not open for critical analysis of someone else's taste. I've always been the eclectic one and seeker of new artists and sounds and music was more important to me than most of my crowd, They saw me as a kind of guide and often would not like where I took them but they were never critical because they knew I marched to a different drummer like all of you do here.

Listening to music is the most personal thing I do and there is no way I could ever explain a 2 hour session on the patio with libation and cigar and the musical journey my mind takes. I can go through rock, funk, disco, alternative, grunge, metal, dance, electronica, house, techno, trance, alt country, red dirt, soul, jazz and classical all in one session because I chain listen. I don't do that all of the time but often enough. One note may connect me to another song or a phrase or a riff. Have you ever really tried to analyze what you like and why you like it or why your musical tastes changed and sometimes dramatically? Streaming music changed my listening habits because it's not work to listen like it used to be, searching for songs, and every little down time between songs. No one would be able to sit there and listen with me because I don't even let some of the songs finish, got what I came for, time to move on.

My generation, the Boomers, were given a great gift, the awakening to a variety of music never heard before and so great was this that some cannot leave that behind and venture forth to experience new sounds. I do not have one friend or even acquaintance in my age group that can relate to my music.

I know what I am searching for, that feeling the first time I heard a new song and that was epitomized by the British Invasion. The new music was coming so fast and was so good that I couldn't get enough. I changed from being a party listener to a real listener, it opened a whole new world and I am still seeking new adventures in that world. I don't have time for Oldies or Classic Rock, I am too busy in that search for that feeling again. That feeling the first time I heard House of the Rising Sun, You Really Got Me, Satisfaction and the album that changed it all, Sgt. Pepper. The dawning of what had been was no longer what was possible, it opened everything up to bands like Pink Floyd, Yes and countless others that let their imaginations run wild and led other to create music from electronics and it was still music with melody.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not liking the Beetles is seen as some sort of sacrilege, but I just find them too simplistic and sing-a-longee.
Loving Chopin, Joplin and Motorhead is seen as a bit of an odd mix by some.
Sparks keyboardist sporting a Hitler tash hasn't done Me any favours.
The Beatles were two groups, pre Sgt. Pepper and post. I agree about those teen scream songs and I was much more on the Stones, Animals and Kinks than the mod side of it but then Sgt. Pepper came along, influenced by the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and the world of music changed forever, at least the part I liked the best.

On that weekend of the anniversary of their invasion that opened the gates, I listened to every album, chronologically, and became a fan all over again but not because of the unreal abundance of hits but their willingness to take the music and us, and a ton of young musicians, to a place we'd never been before, sounds we'd never heard before. And this toiem when I took the journey, I considered the one that lead that, McCartney, not the one I had always assumed did, Lennon.

New respect can be found for McCartney by watching the doc on the making of Sgt. Pepper and his attention to one underappreciated part of "A Day in the Life" by this listener, the very end. He had that dramatic sound in his head and he and Martin worked a full day to make that one sound.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ace of Base. Not that I am a fan persay, but many years ago I told someone at work I had The Sign on my MP3 player and its been a running joke for a decade

John813

Reaction score
Never cared for Pearl Jam but love Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Bush etc.
Like change the station when I hear any Pearl Jam song other than Jeremy.

Bruce Springsteen I couldn't get into either.

Other than that, never got too much flack for what I like or don't like. Can go from Killswitch Engage to Nero to Rick Ross to Hans Zimmer over a course of a day.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever made snap judgements about people and their musical tastes? I have. My awakening came when I got into radio and began to understand that music lovers and radio listeners are not synonymous and often, not even close. Music is important to some people and others can take it or leave it, it suffices to drown out the silence.

I do not like rap or hip hop but I can like people that do and there are some here just like that. They post in the "Favorite Song" thread and while that's not my cup o tea, I am sure I listen to stuff that isn't theirs. Like anything with culture or taste.:cool:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is the first I'm ever hearing of people catching grief for liking KISS. Well, unless they were holy rollers screaming that KISS stood for Knights in Satan's Service way back in the day. I ignore those freaks anyhow.

I got grief from the disco bozos. I fought back and really gave those weasels a hard time. Then Kiss came out with a disco song and it was the biggest facepalm I've ever done. That was the lowest moment in rock history, worse than when Jimi Hendrix died. Uhg.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I got grief from the disco bozos. I fought back and really gave those weasels a hard time. Then Kiss came out with a disco song and it was the biggest facepalm I've ever done. That was the lowest moment in rock history, worse than when Jimi Hendrix died. Uhg.
Are you talking about when they all did their solo albums hehe.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really never got the people disliking disco. It wasn't like that replaced all music in the world, rock was thriving as well as other genres and if any music took it on the chin for disco is was Pop, which I didn't care for anyway. Pop was, to me, where we put all the music we can't figure out a place to put it and it's mostly written by other people for other people to sing. There were exceptions but not enough. It was the hit factory.

I was at the Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey as a guest of the radio station, WLUP, a client. It was a lot of fun and I will tell you, there were plenty of disco chicks in that audience proving we'll all go where the party goes. The irony of that, and they knew it, was that my company was the syndicator of the Disco format from New York's WKTU, which also got me into Studio 54 when it was like breaking out of Alcatraz to get in. So, how can I not love me some disco.

Ok, I know what you're thinking 'CC, say it ain't so". Yes, it's so and I had the leisure suits, silk shirts, chains and platforms. And my wife loved me long time when I was Disco CC so there is that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never a KISS fan, not an Aerosmith fan either and I am not much of a Bob Seger fan because I cannot stand "Old Timey Rock n Roll". That's the DJ fall back to get the old ladies up and dancing with each other and you yell "kiss, c'mon kiss" and they just look at you.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The doors specifically Jim Morrison were on acid and weed during the first two albums. Those last few albums the dude gave up acid and was a straight up alcoholic. He also started using cocaine when it came on the scene and sadly thanks to his girlfriend Heroin.

The rest of the guys were basically just pot heads. Ray and John just smoked pot, john had a bad trip and never used those heavy drugs again and I think ray and robby just stopped.

Jim wasn't using cocaine.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Dynasty. IMO that was the first Kiss album that was a huge disappointment. It just wasn't a hard rocking album like they usually did. I liked Ace Frehley's cover of 2000 Man, but that's it. The rest of the album is junk, especially that disco song.

And I liked "Dynasty." lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I really never got the people disliking disco. It wasn't like that replaced all music in the world, rock was thriving as well as other genres and if any music took it on the chin for disco is was Pop, which I didn't care for anyway. Pop was, to me, where we put all the music we can't figure out a place to put it and it's mostly written by other people for other people to sing. There were exceptions but not enough. It was the hit factory.

I was at the Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey as a guest of the radio station, WLUP, a client. It was a lot of fun and I will tell you, there were plenty of disco chicks in that audience proving we'll all go where the party goes. The irony of that, and they knew it, was that my company was the syndicator of the Disco format from New York's WKTU, which also got me into Studio 54 when it was like breaking out of Alcatraz to get in. So, how can I not love me some disco.

Ok, I know what you're thinking 'CC, say it ain't so". Yes, it's so and I had the leisure suits, silk shirts, chains and platforms. And my wife loved me long time when I was Disco CC so there is that.
There were a few disco songs that didn't suck, but for the most part they were all set to the same time, and the lyrics usually didn't have much meaning, other than promoting disco and dancing. It had a bit more soul than most of the auto-tune garbage coming out now, though.