Must solve this problem - stopping the run

Big D

Reaction score
how many games did the defense do their part and the loser offensive guys couldn't put up any points?
stop the run why, if you can't put up points. hum
Because of this thing called competition. Some of the teams we play have good defensive units and aren't going to let our offense just run up and down the field. In those cases we need our defense to do the same. Defensive battles are a real thing. We already know you hate the qb. This is a discussion about the other side of the ball.

Havic

Reaction score
The more free agency is playing out, I think Clowney is going to be the call over Wagner or HB.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The more free agency is playing out, I think Clowney is going to be the call over Wagner or HB.

Clowney would just be an expensive waste of cash and snaps. Armstrong, Fowler, Lawrence and Parsons are all much better pass rushers.

cowboyec

Reaction score
jordan davis,dt-georgia
devonta wyatt,dt-georgia
either 1 would help GREATLY.
but i dont know if they'd do it at 24.
either of those georgia dawgs would fix our run defense...DAY...ONE.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I wouldnt say decades. Our DL could stop the run but a lot of times could not generate pressure. Never had a DL that could stop the run and bring the pressure at the same time for some time.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We have to figure out how to run it ourselves first.
Brother you hit it right on the head. I believe the front office wants to get our running game going before anything else. As well as the The 49ers ran the ball we still had opportunities to win the game. It’s a passing league now and the Cowboys defense is good enough. I still think we need to find Zeke’s replacement this draft.

Big D

Reaction score
Honestly...I'd be very tempted to move up if Jordan Davis were to slip out of the top 10. Problem is...we.... got holes everywhere else...:(
If we could fill it I'd take my chances with that. It doesn't work leaving it unaddressed and like @glimmerman said we did try to address with Poe and others and it didn't work but that doesn't mean you stop trying.

Big D

Reaction score
Have to do both, think Defense is just a NT away from being able to stop the run, but OL has a lot of issues.
Definitely agree on offensive issues but even with those issue they were statistically one of the better units in the league making defense, specifically DT, the higher priority. IMO

quickccc

Reaction score
If they cannot score points, it won't matter if they can stop the run or not. The offense, completely fell off when the run game disappeared. They have to fix both, but it starts on offense.

Ironically...
- We did not run the ball well vs Bucs .. yet we scored points on a good team because of how we moved the ball in the pass game
- we did not run the ball well vs Pats .. yet we scored points and how we moved the ball in air with the pass.

- we ran well vs weak sisters and non competitive teams - ala Carolina, Philly, Giants ... but what about the more competitive teams than
weak sista NFC East ? ..Arizona, Radas, Denver ?

- But what started happening' despite the loss of the run game , was how opposing teams counter scheme and comprised our pass game with heavy loaded
zone coverage to which we flat did not adjust ...

GINeric

Reaction score
This problem has haunted the Cowboys defense for decades and they do not seem to get it.

I wanted Parsons for this reason and thought that would help and they try and turn him into a pass rusher because they weren't very good at it across the DL. In the playoff game, did you see him help stop a run game that gave up 170 with a 2nd tier, maybe 3rd, QB? The QB was not likely to beat them.

How bad was it? He completed 60% of his passes for 172 yards, 2 less than they rushed for, and one pick and no TD's. They controlled the clock with 34 minutes TOP. He passed it 25 times and they ran it 37 times between Mitchell and Samuel for 2 TD's.

They have eschewed the space eating DT's that can shut the middle down so they have to do the next best thing, get a MLB or keep Parsons at that position except under special circumstances. Vander Esch is not that guy. Wagner might me.

They have needs at OL, TE. WR but nothing more important than fixing this problem.

The Niners coaching staff saw the opportunity to out muscle and out tough the Cowboys defense and did just that. It is especially enlightening to hear Parsons say he should be locked up on the other teams best player and in this instance singled out Deebo Samuel. and he was unable to stop him when it was needed the most.

I am anticipating a run heavy NFC this season because most of the QB's are in the AFC.

The opportunity is there in free agency and the draft but will they take it? If not, nothing changes.

I dont know why we refuse to get the big beefy guys in the middle of our defensive line.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know why we refuse to get the big beefy guys in the middle of our defensive line.
They just do not see the value in that early in the draft. But then they are follow the ball people so offense, the QB, RB and WR's are the top of the ladder for them.

No one has successfully convinced Booger that it was not just the triplets that delivered those rings. He would have never drafted Maryland with the 1st pick.

And he has been paying triplet prices for less than triplet delivery. 76M is probably the highest ever paid for QB-RB-WR. The entire defense doesn't get paid that.

kskboys

Reaction score
This problem has haunted the Cowboys defense for decades and they do not seem to get it.

I wanted Parsons for this reason and thought that would help and they try and turn him into a pass rusher because they weren't very good at it across the DL. In the playoff game, did you see him help stop a run game that gave up 170 with a 2nd tier, maybe 3rd, QB? The QB was not likely to beat them.

How bad was it? He completed 60% of his passes for 172 yards, 2 less than they rushed for, and one pick and no TD's. They controlled the clock with 34 minutes TOP. He passed it 25 times and they ran it 37 times between Mitchell and Samuel for 2 TD's.

They have eschewed the space eating DT's that can shut the middle down so they have to do the next best thing, get a MLB or keep Parsons at that position except under special circumstances. Vander Esch is not that guy. Wagner might me.

They have needs at OL, TE. WR but nothing more important than fixing this problem.

The Niners coaching staff saw the opportunity to out muscle and out tough the Cowboys defense and did just that. It is especially enlightening to hear Parsons say he should be locked up on the other teams best player and in this instance singled out Deebo Samuel. and he was unable to stop him when it was needed the most.

I am anticipating a run heavy NFC this season because most of the QB's are in the AFC.

The opportunity is there in free agency and the draft but will they take it? If not, nothing changes.
And if you use your LB's to stop the run, two problems. They get hurt due to the pounding, and you have weaknesses in the middle of the field as they are constantly having to play right at the LOS to stop the run. Doesn't work.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly...I'd be very tempted to move up if Jordan Davis were to slip out of the top 10. Problem is...we.... got holes everywhere else...:(
Yeah, but that's what we always tell ourselves so we can get more flash players.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they cannot score points, it won't matter if they can stop the run or not. The offense, completely fell off when the run game disappeared. They have to fix both, but it starts on offense.
And if they can't stop the run, it won't matter if we can score points or not.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would've thought the CJ Anderson debacle against the Rams 3 years ago showed they were too soft in the middle, but obviously not.

Three years later the same weakness played a big part in another playoff defeat. And so far, no attempt has been made to address it.
You know how everyone complains about the refs and one or two plays and injuries causing losses? That's how Jerry thinks.

Havic

Reaction score
Clowney would just be an expensive waste of cash and snaps. Armstrong, Fowler, Lawrence and Parsons are all much better pass rushers.

Clowney is an excellent run defender. We have the cap to use him as a 1 year rental.