My biggest disappointment from last night

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy lost me as a supporter last night. On three separate occasions Zeke gained at least 6 yards on first down (7, 11, and 6) and the next play was a pass. Each instance was a golden opportunity to a) establish the run game b) get Zeke going and c) get the offensive line some confidence and a bonus d) beat up on the 49er front line. Each time McCarthy acted as if he was annoyed that Zeke had the nerve to be productive on first down and we shifted into a pass set. I knew going into the season that he wasn't exactly Chuck Knox or Marty Schottenheimer but I thought he at least understood the importance of having some semblance of a run game even if you want to pass it 50 times a game. This game convinced me he has no such understanding. We were ahead most of the first half and Zeke was averaging 5 ypc and we had only run the ball 8 times. If ever a game screamed run it to keep them honest and allow our biguns to do some damage this was it. We were ahead, the defense was playing well, and Zeke was running it well. We completely wasted it and allowed the 49ers to stay close until they solved Zimmer's defense.

After watching that game I am left to just look forward to McCarthy being sent packing at the end of the season. He sent Moore away for doing the exact same crap he's doing. The draw play from the 49ers 5 yard line where we didn't think we needed to block Warner about caused me to have an epileptic fit! Sorry Mike.. you gotta go.
Then we decided to run the FB on a 3rd and 5. Don't know if that was an audible call or not but it really sums up McCarthy if it was the play call. Erratic play calling that's just out of rhythm is how I would describe this Texas Coast offense.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Here is a sample list of actual big backs in the N.F.L. for those who have a skewed perspective of what a big RB is:

Craig Heyward 5'11 260lbs
Derrick Henry 6'2 247lbs
Brandon Jacobs 6'4 264lbs
Christian Okoye 6'1 254lbs
Barry Word 6'2 242lbs
Jerome Bettis 5'11 252lbs
Natrone Means 5'10 245lbs

Not huge but strong workhorses:

Earl Campbell 5'11 232lbs
Eddie George 6'3 235lbs
John Riggins 6'2 230lbs
Larry Csonka 6'3 238lbs
Marion Motley 6'1 238lbs
Jim Brown 6'2 231lbs

Now these men punished defenses. Not three yards and a cloud of dust for guys call power now.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a sample list of actual big backs in the N.F.L. for those who have a skewed perspective of what a big RB is:

Craig Heyward 5'11 260lbs
Derrick Henry 6'2 247lbs
Brandon Jacobs 6'4 264lbs
Christian Okoye 6'1 254lbs
Barry Word 6'2 242lbs
Earl Campbell 5'11 232lbs
Eddie George 6'3 235lbs
Jerome Bettis 5'11 252lbs
Natrone Means 5'10 245lbs

Not huge but strong workhorses:

John Riggins 6'2 230lbs
Larry Csonka 6'3 238lbs
Marion Motley 6'1 238lbs
Jim Brown 6'2 231lbs
Whatever you say kid.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
His best runs were early.

Seriously, why are you guys so defensive of Elliott? It’s stunning that one of the conclusions after another loss is that Elliott deserved more carries. LOL.
It's not defensive. It's recognition that this team functions best when they get Zeke rolling. The best drive of the game was the one in which Zeke had the most touches. Even if it's not Zeke ANY running game you can get going is a plus. The refusal to do that cost us a chance to at least stay competitive in that game. One by playing keep away from the 49ers thus giving them less time to figure out our defense and two by maybe putting more points on the board and doing so in methodical fashion.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you wonder why I've called him. Mike the fraud since the day we hired him?

Sydla

Reaction score
It's not defensive. It's recognition that this team functions best when they get Zeke rolling. The best drive of the game was the one in which Zeke had the most touches. Even if it's not Zeke ANY running game you can get going is a plus. The refusal to do that cost us a chance to at least stay competitive in that game. One by playing keep away from the 49ers thus giving them less time to figure out our defense and two by maybe putting more points on the board and doing so in methodical fashion.
Zeke hasn't gotten rolling in like 5 years.

You are proving my point thinking that this team can win by riding Zeke. He's not a good TB anymore.

Geezus.

JustChip

Reaction score
McCarthy never fully won me over in the first place.

His teams aren't physical. Despite the talk of trying to become a more physical team ever since 2021, we've only gone backwards.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but at least Garret understood the importance of physicality on the offensive side of the ball.
Garrett’s last 4 years: 40-24 regular season, 2x NFCE Champion, 2-3 playoffs

McCarthy’s last 3+ years: 39-19 regular season, 2x NFCE Champion, 1-3 playoffs

Obviously, no one knows for sure where they will end up this year, but seems likely they’ll end with 6-8 wins (4-year RS record of 42-26 to 44-24) and no playoffs. Factor that in and take into account the added regular season game, and it’s clear Garrett and McCarthy are one and the same.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy lost me as a supporter last night. On three separate occasions Zeke gained at least 6 yards on first down (7, 11, and 6) and the next play was a pass. Each instance was a golden opportunity to a) establish the run game b) get Zeke going and c) get the offensive line some confidence and a bonus d) beat up on the 49er front line. Each time McCarthy acted as if he was annoyed that Zeke had the nerve to be productive on first down and we shifted into a pass set. I knew going into the season that he wasn't exactly Chuck Knox or Marty Schottenheimer but I thought he at least understood the importance of having some semblance of a run game even if you want to pass it 50 times a game. This game convinced me he has no such understanding. We were ahead most of the first half and Zeke was averaging 5 ypc and we had only run the ball 8 times. If ever a game screamed run it to keep them honest and allow our biguns to do some damage this was it. We were ahead, the defense was playing well, and Zeke was running it well. We completely wasted it and allowed the 49ers to stay close until they solved Zimmer's defense.

After watching that game I am left to just look forward to McCarthy being sent packing at the end of the season. He sent Moore away for doing the exact same crap he's doing. The draw play from the 49ers 5 yard line where we didn't think we needed to block Warner about caused me to have an epileptic fit! Sorry Mike.. you gotta go.
I think mine was his Daughters care getting in an accident and not his.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Zeke hasn't gotten rolling in like 5 years.

You are proving my point thinking that this team can win by riding Zeke. He's not a good TB anymore.

Geezus.
So in your estimation the drive where he had 3 carries for 17 yards including a touchdown never happened? I don't know if he was about to get lathered up and run for a buck twenty five or peter out in another 3-4 carries. My contention is I would like to find out at some point. Because if he CAN get it going this offense goes to a whole nother level. And again, I'm not even saying it HAS to be Zeke. Rico, Cook, hell Deuce Vaughan if you think he can do it. Zeke is the only one who has SHOWN the ability to take over a game if you get him going. So why not try and get him going? What is this fascination with making sure he never touches the ball two plays in a row and never more than three times on a series? What purpose is that serving? Of course if we were banging out 150 yards a game on the ground I'd stand down but the undeniable fact is what we're doing is failing miserably and the last time I saw the Cowboys running game NOT fail miserably it was Zeke totin the rock. If he can't do it he can't do it. But we'll never know with him spending more time standing on the sidelines than runnin the ball.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Common sense tells you that a good football team has to be balanced, if you want to be successful.

Jerry made it clear the NFL was a passing league and neglected the trenches and the run game on both sides of the ball.

That was his plan. It worked until teams quickly figured out it could be stopped by running the ball for 30+ times and 200+ yards.

Bagman

Reaction score

Great post, Ronnie. I was yelling at the TV too. Why not hammer Zeke. It was the first time all year he looked good on FIRST DOWN. They never once took advantage of the situation. McCarthy looked like he was trying to get fired.