Video: My defensive film review 49ers at Cowboys

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't really play any Tampa 2. It was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 1. When Mo was playing press man, he was terrible. When Mo was playing zone, he wasn't very good. He had a really bad game. Some people are saying that man coverage suits our corners better, and I don't think that's the case. The All 22 isn't out yet, so it's hard to see everything on each play.

Let me know what you guys think of the video.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Thanks. Much appreciated. It shows up pretty small on my phone so it's hard to see.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. Mo looks absolutely horrible in the vid.
Looking forward to the other breakdowns of this game.

Thank you to all who do this.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Mo is a no go, jj trade him.

Good god. Morris Claiborne is rancid. Just absolutely rancid.

I can forgive Durant and Wilcox a little because they give effort at least. Claiborne plays like he will do anything to get beat even if it means yielding every potential first down there is to be made.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys didn't really play any Tampa 2. It was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 1. When Mo was playing press man, he was terrible. When Mo was playing zone, he wasn't very good. He had a really bad game. Some people are saying that man coverage suits our corners better, and I don't think that's the case. The All 22 isn't out yet, so it's hard to see everything on each play.

On the 1st play, Claiborne did make contact before 5 yards. He did get his left hand outside of the receivers shoulder which is what I believe caused the penalty. He let himself get thrown off when the WRs hand got into his face-mask.

On the play with the Vernon Davis TD, I believe that Carr played man defense and everybody else was playing zone. Wilcox had to stay where he was because #49 was out at the sideline with no other defender in the area. If Wilcox goes with Davis, then it's an easy completion to #49 for a long gain. It was most likely Carr's fault on that play.

With regards to Claiborne on the TD play, he didn't miss the jamb, he didn't try to jamb at all. He played press-bail. I've never been a big fan of press-bail, but it's used often.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Carr had a reciever to his right running past him, if he took #49, then his reciever would have been wide open. That was Wilcox's man once he crossed his face and should have stayed with him. Carter had the shorter flat area in front of this reciever.....

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Thanks for doing that. Was interesting.

I think the back 7 in general, has a lack of understanding or feel for zone coverages.

People thinking Carter or McClain are long term solutions are likely wrong. They are culprits too and need to be overhauled as well.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
why do our cb's always suck? Carr was good in KC we get him and he sucks. Claiborne a star in college we get him suck, newman started to suck in our scheme. Is it the scheme or is it the type of players we get? How the heck to seattle just plug players in that defense especially thats secondary and continue to be good. Is it the way they practice or etc? Our cb's allow too much catch and run and not enough PD's. I mean atleast tackle the guy. Too much catching and running.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
On the 1st play, Claiborne did make contact before 5 yards. He did get his left hand outside of the receivers shoulder which is what I believe caused the penalty. He let himself get thrown off when the WRs hand got into his face-mask.

He grabs both shoulder pads and hangs on for dear life. That is poor technique, IMO. He has been doing that since he got here.
On the play with the Vernon Davis TD, I believe that Carr played man defense and everybody else was playing zone. Wilcox had to stay where he was because #49 was out at the sideline with no other defender in the area. If Wilcox goes with Davis, then it's an easy completion to #49 for a long gain. It was most likely Carr's fault on that play.

Well, Durant was there, along with McClain. They would have closed in on him for a short gain. Look at 5:12 in the video.

With regards to Claiborne on the TD play, he didn't miss the jamb, he didn't try to jamb at all. He played press-bail. I've never been a big fan of press-bail, but it's used often.

It looks like he had inside help, so I'm pretty sure he should be funneling the WR inside with press, but honestly, I have no idea whether that is a scheme problem or an execution problem.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Love this stuff, Bob. If this is going to be a regular thing, we're going to need a name for your series here so we all know what to expect each week.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
if the coaching staff had any juice, Mo would be on the bench or cut. he's that bad.

I have a feeling the guys behind him are even worse. Same goes for Wilcox, which is exactly why a lot of us were ticked off when they didnt try to bring a safety with some experience to push these guys. Heath and Wilcox are not ready to be on the field for anything but special teams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Durant was there, along with McClain. They would have closed in on him for a short gain. Look at 5:12 in the video.
At the point that Wilcox would have had to make the decision to go with Davis or stay in his zone, the closed LB no shot at #49. At the point that #49 have even depth with the LB, they were 10 yards apart width wise.

It's possible that the LB should have gone out wide with #49 which would have allowed Wilcox to either drop deeper or completely go with Davis, but that didn't happen. It's either Carr's fault or the LB's fault, not Wilcox.