Video: My defensive film review 49ers at Cowboys

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I have a feeling the guys behind him are even worse. Same goes for Wilcox, which is exactly why a lot of us were ticked off when they didnt try to bring a safety with some experience to push these guys. Heath and Wilcox are not ready to be on the field for anything but special teams.

you're probably correct. I just think that in 2+ years Mo Claiborne has done absolutely nothing to warrant being on the team, other than his high draft status. He is a DOG. While, Patmon, Moore, and Jemea Thomas (PS), are likely worse, my point was that the coaches at the least should sit Mo's sorry *** if they were actually in charge of the team. But we all know that JWJ and SJ are making the calls on who plays and who doesnt.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
you're probably correct. I just think that in 2+ years Mo Claiborne has done absolutely nothing to warrant being on the team, other than his high draft status. He is a DOG. While, Patmon, Moore, and Jemea Thomas (PS), are likely worse, my point was that the coaches at the least should sit Mo's sorry *** if they were actually in charge of the team. But we all know that JWJ and SJ are making the calls on who plays and who doesnt.

I believe they only brought 4 CBs to the game, and Wilcox played in the slot some.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Love this stuff, Bob. If this is going to be a regular thing, we're going to need a name for your series here so we all know what to expect each week.

A second from the audience...

reddyuta

Reaction score
If I was a sports reporter I would hammer Garrett with questions about Mo,,, something along the lines of, "What the frig is wrong with him? Is he stupid? apathetic? Get him off the field!"

I think he is clinically dumb and beyond redemption.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I listened to Church last night and he said there was missing communication on the first half drives and they didn't tackle well. He said second half was much better..

Every year it's communication errors!

No kidding. Supposedly a big reason we fired Rob and went to this simple 43 was to eliminate stupid mental errors. They're still going strong.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No kidding. Supposedly a big reason we fired Rob and went to this simple 43 was to eliminate stupid mental errors. They're still going strong.

Just exactly how long has this group been together? And how young is this group now as well?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Nice video....
How in heck does the other team have 4 receivers open? Are our players just that bad or poorly coached or a little of both?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Nice video....
How in heck does the other team have 4 receivers open? Are our players just that bad or poorly coached or a little of both?

As you can tell, all it takes is one blown assignment, a guy falling down, and a scrambling QB to make big plays.

Zman5

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't really play any Tampa 2. It was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 1. When Mo was playing press man, he was terrible. When Mo was playing zone, he wasn't very good. He had a really bad game. Some people are saying that man coverage suits our corners better, and I don't think that's the case. The All 22 isn't out yet, so it's hard to see everything on each play.

Let me know what you guys think of the video.

http://i124.***BLOCKED***/albums/p15/zman55/Nicework.gif

lostar2009

Reaction score
Good god. Morris Claiborne is rancid. Just absolutely rancid.

I can forgive Durant and Wilcox a little because they give effort at least. Claiborne plays like he will do anything to get beat even if it means yielding every potential first down there is to be made.

The guy don't study film, he is always injured and he is always get beat. I'm done with this guy, let's cut bait. I think next year is his last year.

reddyuta

Reaction score

I really question our scouts ability to scout DBs.we seem to draft some really dumb guys whose coverage ability is highly overrated.

Bluestang

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't really play any Tampa 2. It was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 1. When Mo was playing press man, he was terrible. When Mo was playing zone, he wasn't very good. He had a really bad game. Some people are saying that man coverage suits our corners better, and I don't think that's the case. The All 22 isn't out yet, so it's hard to see everything on each play.

Let me know what you guys think of the video.

Great analysis @CyberB0b

A couple things to add from my thoughts...

When we play zone coverage, our corners are reading the QB's drop, you can see their heads turned inside pre-snap. The technique is to read the drop and mirror the backpedal to the QB's steps, once the QB hits his landmark and gets read to throw, the corner plants and drives on the route while keeping tabs on the WR. Watch the tape and see how Claiborne is always late to the QB's steps. His technique is awful and he has no clue when to plant and drive, he's guessing. If I had to take an educated guess, it appears that the corners are not studying formations and QB tendencies enough. Playing zone coverage requires a lot of film study to gain an understanding of what the QB likes to do in certain WR splits and formations. The best way to do this is to keep a count of how long the QB usually takes to hit his landmark, so that the corner keeps an internal counter is his head to know when to anticipate the throw. He should also be reading the stem of the route to anticipate what route is being run. It's hard to do, but these corners are not even doing the fundamentals right that could improve there play dramatically.

Which brings me to the point I want to emphasize with these corners. The #1 reason they are terrible at zone is because they are not reading the QB like they should. Part of the technique requires anticipation and they are always reacting to what the QB is doing which is why they are constantly late. For example, if the down and distance is 3rd and 8, and I line up in off coverage 9 yards at the sticks, I should be backpedaling to mirror the QBs dropback while seeing the WR in front of me. I should already have an idea of what routes are going to be run based on my film study and game plan to include any alert calls from a blitz.

3rd and 8 should dictate short routes in the tree, because at that distance the offense shouldn't get too greedy with a lead. This is what factors into situational football. The coaches should be telling the players this during the game when making adjustments. This falls on the coaching more than anything, their technique is bad and they are not being taught proper zone principles.

These corners are awful but the coaching is not good from what I'm seeing either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Which brings me to the point I want to emphasize with these corners. The #1 reason they are terrible at zone is because they are not reading the QB like they should. Part of the technique requires anticipation and they are always reacting to what the QB is doing which is why they are constantly late.
That takes reps, too, which neither guy got in preseason.

I would point out that Scandrick is much better at this, and he played the whole preseason. He's also been noted as a smart player, an adjective no one will apply to Claiborne.

I guess I just have a hard time blaming the coaches too much when this is high school type stuff. It's not complicated -- though again, like with everything, you get better with more reps.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The guy sit out all summer and hes just supposed to show up week 1 and play at a high level?

He's not good enough to do that. I'm sure he wont make it to a average level of play for a few weeks.

Same goes for Carr.

Bluestang

Reaction score
That takes reps, too, which neither guy got in preseason.

I would point out that Scandrick is much better at this, and he played the whole preseason. He's also been noted as a smart player, an adjective no one will apply to Claiborne.

I guess I just have a hard time blaming the coaches too much when this is high school type stuff. It's not complicated -- though again, like with everything, you get better with more reps.

I fully understand reps in preseason will help any player, but the problems are more with technique which IMO scream out when watching the tape. They are going into 3 seasons now that they've been asked to play zone coverage and they still lack the basic fundamentals to even do it right. Like you said, basic high school stuff that they can't even do it right.

They don't have any clue when to drive on the football which is a big problem for the secondary. They looked unprepared, and have no idea what they are doing out there. They lack confidence and they don't understand situational football and route concepts from formations.

Who is the guy that is riding their *** to fix these issues?

Gameover

Reaction score
I listened to Church last night and he said there was missing communication on the first half drives and they didn't tackle well. He said second half was much better..

Every year it's communication errors!

10 year problem!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

it's the samething on offense, same mistakes throughout the Garrett era. Failure to properly execute, false starts, delay penalties, holding and all these penalties at the worst time, killing drive after drive. I really think that no matter who you bring in as coordintors, the same mistakes will continue. The HC has to nip it in the butt, and ours has not done that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great analysis @CyberB0b

A couple things to add from my thoughts...

When we play zone coverage, our corners are reading the QB's drop, you can see their heads turned inside pre-snap. The technique is to read the drop and mirror the backpedal to the QB's steps, once the QB hits his landmark and gets read to throw, the corner plants and drives on the route while keeping tabs on the WR. Watch the tape and see how Claiborne is always late to the QB's steps. His technique is awful and he has no clue when to plant and drive, he's guessing. If I had to take an educated guess, it appears that the corners are not studying formations and QB tendencies enough. Playing zone coverage requires a lot of film study to gain an understanding of what the QB likes to do in certain WR splits and formations. The best way to do this is to keep a count of how long the QB usually takes to hit his landmark, so that the corner keeps an internal counter is his head to know when to anticipate the throw. He should also be reading the stem of the route to anticipate what route is being run. It's hard to do, but these corners are not even doing the fundamentals right that could improve there play dramatically.

Which brings me to the point I want to emphasize with these corners. The #1 reason they are terrible at zone is because they are not reading the QB like they should. Part of the technique requires anticipation and they are always reacting to what the QB is doing which is why they are constantly late. For example, if the down and distance is 3rd and 8, and I line up in off coverage 9 yards at the sticks, I should be backpedaling to mirror the QBs dropback while seeing the WR in front of me. I should already have an idea of what routes are going to be run based on my film study and game plan to include any alert calls from a blitz.

3rd and 8 should dictate short routes in the tree, because at that distance the offense shouldn't get too greedy with a lead. This is what factors into situational football. The coaches should be telling the players this during the game when making adjustments. This falls on the coaching more than anything, their technique is bad and they are not being taught proper zone principles.

These corners are awful but the coaching is not good from what I'm seeing either.
Good post on the technical details.

I'm not ready to blame coaching yet. It might or might not be the problem. Early in his career Scandrick had issues being late to plant and drive on the ball. It took him some time to develop.

I would like to see Claiborne in some form of man coverage more often. It could be press man, press bail or man under, but in all 3 he would be just playing the WR and not reading the QB. I think something like man under would still allow the CB to be in a decent position to come up if the QB runs outside which I'm sure was part of the issue against the niners.

I remember Ronde Barber pressing the WR often, but rarely seemed to have deep responsibility. I guess that was man under which has a lot in common with zone in that the CB basically drops back in a zone after initially covering the WR for a short distance. I know everybody called that defense Zone, but when Barber pressed I don't know if that was technically Zone.