FEATURED My draft review

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
So out of curiosity what great weapons do you think we lost from last years #1 offense

I do think they didn’t upgrade in weaponry but we’re no worse. 10-7
Yep, they don't mention the better protection they got him on the OL....already trying to come up with excuses on why Dak is a victim and doomed for failure. Which he will, but this will be his own doing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 things could've made this draft grade a little higher, first if we could've taken Jaylen Wright over Marist, or a trade down in the 3rd to recoup something in the 4th or early 5th.
I'm guess Wright was off their board for medical.

They specifically said they had trade offers and turned them down because they wanted the pick/player.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep, they don't mention the better protection they got him on the OL....already trying to come up with excuses on why Dak is a victim and doomed for failure. Which he will, but this will be his own doing.
Union Jack is gonna be one of the last people to make excuses for Dak.

Dak’s not a victim the cowboys problems will remain the same if they can’t run the ball and stop the run

Dak and the arial attack enough to beat average to below average teams and occasional things go well enough to hear a good team

But sustained success in playoffs will require an upgrade in running attack and stopping run

I like what they did with OLine and if Mazi gets better and overshown and a few others step up then maybe

But not much on the defensive side spells upgrade to me in think we are about same

We could be nastier on offense line though and that’s a good thing

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I see one Pro Bowler. Beebee. A couple of solid contributors in the DE and CB. A couple of maybes with the OTs. I respect the heck out of KingintheNorth and if he says the flying hair LB is all fluff and no substance, I am a little wary of the pick.
Who pirated your account?
Straight football talk.
No sarcasm at all.....unless......maybe.............
It caught everyone off guard that the mods even decided to make it a featured post lol

rambo2

Reaction score
I see one Pro Bowler. Beebee. A couple of solid contributors in the DE and CB. A couple of maybes with the OTs. I respect the heck out of KingintheNorth and if he says the flying hair LB is all fluff and no substance, I am a little wary of the pick.

It caught everyone off guard that the mods even decided to make it a featured post lol
That linebacker absolutely aced his interview with Zimmer. So much so that they took him at 87 even though they badly needed a running back.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Is this really Risen’s take ? Who knew under all that sarcasm there could be straight talk. And that I agree with it all.

DallasMike

Reaction score
1(29) Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
2(56) Marshawn Kneeland DE Western Michigan
3(73) Cooper Beebe G Kansas St.
3(87) Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame
5(174) Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
6(216) Ryan Flournoy WR SE Missouri St.
7(233) Nathan Thomas T Louisiana-Lafayette
7(244) Justin Rogers DT Auburn
Lost 2025 7th round pick (Detroit)

-

I'm just going to focus on the players picked and not the needs they didn't address like RB.

With the exception of Liufau, I like every pick. I even like Liufau just not that early.

I wasn't a big Guyton guy but at the bottom of the round with an extra 3rd round pick sure I can see that investment for a LT. His upside is enormous.

Kneeland doesn't get sacks so he gets dinged but this is the bottom of round 2 and he's now being groomed to replace a guy who also doesn't really get sacks in DeMarcus Lawrence. His skill set fits that role. You won't bully him. He's a stout run defender and a work in progress pass rusher who probably won't ever be a top sack guy. I'm fine with that.

I could go on and on about Cooper Beebe. That's one of the best picks I've seen this team make in a long time. Plug and play starting G who will probably end up being a plug and play C here and an upgrade over Biadasz.

Again, I could go on but let me just say this. There's a reason why Chuck Norris has never fought Cooper Beebe.

That cornerback was a steal. He's the self proclaimed stickiest corner in the class. You got these draft resources pegging him as a future starter. In the 5th round. From Scandrick to Bland to possibly Carson.

In fact of the 8 players selected, 4 of them are looked at as future starters, 1 more, Nathan Thomas, as a potential future starter (Mel and Lance Zierlein) and if you dig a little deeper you'll find Liufau a maybe too. (I liked him as a 5th-6th round target)

Flournoy was a good late round flyer and Rogers is just a fat guy who will be asked to clog the middle on early downs. Kind of like our 1st round pick last year.

I mean, I don't think this moves the needle at all in 2024 but there are some good foundational pieces that can pay dividends in the future.

i just can not hate this class. It was trench warfare. They are physically tougher after this draft.

I'd be stunned if it isn't a much better class than 2023.

Grade: B+
Solid review. Great job.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
OP thought losing La'el Collins was a monumental loss that was going to set the team back centuries also.

So I say let's let the players prove all this supposed "toughness" on the field first, k?

cowboys1981

Reaction score
If Guyton works out at LT and Beebe at C we've pretty much rebuilt our Oline.

Kneeland will likely grow on me.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
IMO the Kneeland pick is designed to be the future replacement TLAW and Beebe will ultimately replace Martin who is in his last year of his contract and a Jerry has 3 large contracts looming this year....so expect Martin to hit FA next year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I couldn't agree more. But if rumors about the SF trade offer were real, they could have traded down into the 90's, still got Liufau, and a 4th round pick that could have turned into a RB.

Add that to this class and it would be an A-plus from me.
We drafted a qb in the 4th instead. All good.we could have drafted eric dickerson...but if we dont fix o line it wouldnt matter.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
1(29) Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
2(56) Marshawn Kneeland DE Western Michigan
3(73) Cooper Beebe G Kansas St.
3(87) Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame
5(174) Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
6(216) Ryan Flournoy WR SE Missouri St.
7(233) Nathan Thomas T Louisiana-Lafayette
7(244) Justin Rogers DT Auburn
Lost 2025 7th round pick (Detroit)

-

I'm just going to focus on the players picked and not the needs they didn't address like RB.

With the exception of Liufau, I like every pick. I even like Liufau just not that early.

I wasn't a big Guyton guy but at the bottom of the round with an extra 3rd round pick sure I can see that investment for a LT. His upside is enormous.

Kneeland doesn't get sacks so he gets dinged but this is the bottom of round 2 and he's now being groomed to replace a guy who also doesn't really get sacks in DeMarcus Lawrence. His skill set fits that role. You won't bully him. He's a stout run defender and a work in progress pass rusher who probably won't ever be a top sack guy. I'm fine with that.

I could go on and on about Cooper Beebe. That's one of the best picks I've seen this team make in a long time. Plug and play starting G who will probably end up being a plug and play C here and an upgrade over Biadasz.

Again, I could go on but let me just say this. There's a reason why Chuck Norris has never fought Cooper Beebe.

That cornerback was a steal. He's the self proclaimed stickiest corner in the class. You got these draft resources pegging him as a future starter. In the 5th round. From Scandrick to Bland to possibly Carson.

In fact of the 8 players selected, 4 of them are looked at as future starters, 1 more, Nathan Thomas, as a potential future starter (Mel and Lance Zierlein) and if you dig a little deeper you'll find Liufau a maybe too. (I liked him as a 5th-6th round target)

Flournoy was a good late round flyer and Rogers is just a fat guy who will be asked to clog the middle on early downs. Kind of like our 1st round pick last year.

I mean, I don't think this moves the needle at all in 2024 but there are some good foundational pieces that can pay dividends in the future.

i just can not hate this class. It was trench warfare. They are physically tougher after this draft.

I'd be stunned if it isn't a much better class than 2023.

Grade: B+
Did you liek last years draft at the time