3(73) Cooper Beebe G Kansas St.
3(87) Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame
5(174) Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
6(216) Ryan Flournoy WR SE Missouri St.
7(233) Nathan Thomas T Louisiana-Lafayette
7(244) Justin Rogers DT Auburn
Lost 2025 7th round pick (Detroit)

-

I'm just going to focus on the players picked and not the needs they didn't address like RB.

With the exception of Liufau, I like every pick. I even like Liufau just not that early.

I wasn't a big Guyton guy but at the bottom of the round with an extra 3rd round pick sure I can see that investment for a LT. His upside is enormous.

Kneeland doesn't get sacks so he gets dinged but this is the bottom of round 2 and he's now being groomed to replace a guy who also doesn't really get sacks in DeMarcus Lawrence. His skill set fits that role. You won't bully him. He's a stout run defender and a work in progress pass rusher who probably won't ever be a top sack guy. I'm fine with that.

I could go on and on about Cooper Beebe. That's one of the best picks I've seen this team make in a long time. Plug and play starting G who will probably end up being a plug and play C here and an upgrade over Biadasz.

Again, I could go on but let me just say this. There's a reason why Chuck Norris has never fought Cooper Beebe.

That cornerback was a steal. He's the self proclaimed stickiest corner in the class. You got these draft resources pegging him as a future starter. In the 5th round. From Scandrick to Bland to possibly Carson.

In fact of the 8 players selected, 4 of them are looked at as future starters, 1 more, Nathan Thomas, as a potential future starter (Mel and Lance Zierlein) and if you dig a little deeper you'll find Liufau a maybe too. (I liked him as a 5th-6th round target)

Flournoy was a good late round flyer and Rogers is just a fat guy who will be asked to clog the middle on early downs. Kind of like our 1st round pick last year.

I mean, I don't think this moves the needle at all in 2024 but there are some good foundational pieces that can pay dividends in the future.

i just can not hate this class. It was trench warfare. They are physically tougher after this draft.

I'd be stunned if it isn't a much better class than 2023.

Grade: B+
Beebe is one of the best draft picks we have done in a long time for sure.Great summary Risen

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Is this really Risen’s take ? Who knew under all that sarcasm there could be straight talk. And that I agree with it all.
I do too..especially about Marshawn being great against the run..Seal the edge kind of guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I could go on and on about Cooper Beebe. That's one of the best picks I've seen this team make in a long time. Plug and play starting G who will probably end up being a plug and play C here and an upgrade over Biadasz.
Please do go on and on about Beebe.

What do you see that the league didn't? A plug and play starter at C doesn't fall to the 3rd.

There's a lot to like about him, but transitioning to C is a big transition. We may plug and play him, but unlikely he'll be ready for most of this season.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nice, fair write up. Based on all LB traits, I agree on Liufau. However, Clark, Parsons, and Overshown are all the same type of LB in obvious variations of talent. Perhaps Liufau is a very good fit as a downhill thumper in the run game to play a traditional MLB role as Kendricks is not long for the NFL. There were actually very few thumpers in this draft, and even fewer with athletic ability to stay on the field on passing downs. The jury is out for now, but how a player fits a particular scheme and his value to a particular team runs him up a team’s board over talented speed chasers if that’s not your need. I’m excited to see this kid in action, as well as our new DE. Those two are the players I know least about and want to see how Zim uses them.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

What do you see that the league didn't? A plug and play starter at C doesn't fall to the 3rd.

There's a lot to like about him, but transitioning to C is a big transition. We may plug and play him, but unlikely he'll be ready for most of this season.
Guards transition to center all the time. Dallas has a history of it. Why would it be any different than moving Barton to center? He played 1 year at center years ago. Beebee did it in practice in college and was worked there at the combine where he was described as a natural.

conner01

Reaction score
1(29) Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
2(56) Marshawn Kneeland DE Western Michigan
3(87) Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame
5(174) Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
6(216) Ryan Flournoy WR SE Missouri St.
7(233) Nathan Thomas T Louisiana-Lafayette
7(244) Justin Rogers DT Auburn
Lost 2025 7th round pick (Detroit)

-

I'm just going to focus on the players picked and not the needs they didn't address like RB.

With the exception of Liufau, I like every pick. I even like Liufau just not that early.

I wasn't a big Guyton guy but at the bottom of the round with an extra 3rd round pick sure I can see that investment for a LT. His upside is enormous.

Kneeland doesn't get sacks so he gets dinged but this is the bottom of round 2 and he's now being groomed to replace a guy who also doesn't really get sacks in DeMarcus Lawrence. His skill set fits that role. You won't bully him. He's a stout run defender and a work in progress pass rusher who probably won't ever be a top sack guy. I'm fine with that.

Again, I could go on but let me just say this. There's a reason why Chuck Norris has never fought Cooper Beebe.

That cornerback was a steal. He's the self proclaimed stickiest corner in the class. You got these draft resources pegging him as a future starter. In the 5th round. From Scandrick to Bland to possibly Carson.

In fact of the 8 players selected, 4 of them are looked at as future starters, 1 more, Nathan Thomas, as a potential future starter (Mel and Lance Zierlein) and if you dig a little deeper you'll find Liufau a maybe too. (I liked him as a 5th-6th round target)

Flournoy was a good late round flyer and Rogers is just a fat guy who will be asked to clog the middle on early downs. Kind of like our 1st round pick last year.

I mean, I don't think this moves the needle at all in 2024 but there are some good foundational pieces that can pay dividends in the future.

i just can not hate this class. It was trench warfare. They are physically tougher after this draft.

I'd be stunned if it isn't a much better class than 2023.

Grade: B+
Man you done ruined my day since I have to say a really good assessment and I agree with it all

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Guards transition to center all the time. Dallas has a history of it. Why would it be any different than moving Barton to center? He played 1 year at center years ago. Beebee did it in practice in college and was worked there at the combine where he was described as a natural.
Played 1 year at C. Okay, that sounds better.

zerofill

Reaction score
If these draft picks ever had a chance at being good... that is over, they came to Dallas.

Dallas is where you come to get paid, not win anything.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Yes, gave them a B- because of the reach for the lb in round 3 when a decent back was available to them.

I understand they love and have a plan for the ND lb who may turn into something, time will tell.

What I liked was building the trenches on both lines especially the OL.

Many of these players are raw but have the tools and athleticism to succeed if coached properly, there is some talent there to be harnessed and unearthed but with most of them it will take some time.

They suck at free agency overall now and with respect to negotiations with agents of their own players.

Sure, they will dumpster dive a bit since the compensatory picks are not negated for the most part but I am afraid it will not be enough to truly help this season.

Maybe they actually let Dak play out this contract and move on while continuing to rebuild the team for the next QB.

Also, much dead money needs to clear the books the next few years which does not help the cap situation but such is the way for the Cowboys, they need to evaluate and use discipline when handing out contracts in the future.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I liked the Flournoy pick,he has a little Dez in him with his physicality and like Dez he doesnt drop passes.I am going on the record that he will make the roster.

reddyuta

Reaction score

we have seems Linemen drop all the time due to T-rex arms but many guys with short arms have played great in the NFL.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
7-10 at best. Dak has no weapons.
Yup......I keep looking@ our skill position players.....and the cupboard feels bare. Passing on Jaylen Wright.....just is unreal. Wondering if Dalvin Cook is in the mix now?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

It would be the Dallas thing to do.....take a player who has excelled at his position in college, and do the stupid flex thing and try to fit him into a position he has NEVER played before. SMDH..... Just keep him at freaking OG and let him do his thing.
That's what gets me ticked off with this team FO.. We know you don't have complete confidence in Hoffman, i don't either...but try something else there.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It would be the Dallas thing to do.....take a player who has excelled at his position in college, and do the stupid flex thing and try to fit him into a position he has NEVER played before. SMDH..... Just keep him at freaking OG and let him do his thing.
That's what gets me ticked off with this team FO.. We know you don't have complete confidence in Hoffman, i don't either...but try something else there.

Tyler Smith was a tackle in college. They moved him to guard and it seems to be working well. Zack Martin same thing. It may or may not work-but we could all give a little leeway to Dallas on these moves.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
With all draft classes it is now a wait and see what the Cowboys have when they hit the field. At this point I am not overly impressed by this class but that could change. I still doubt that as of right now the 2024 roster is better than the 2023 roster. The vast majority of rooks take a bit of time to become real NFL players. I suspect that this class has several "project" guys that may develop in their second or third season.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
7-10 at best. Dak has no weapons.
Well he has Lamb and Ferguson. But that ain't the problem. We need to make a run game happen. Get multi dimensional. Take some load off Dak's shoulders.

And since that hasn't happened (so far) I say with the current offensive line up it will be an early out post season once again.

Still, lots of time in the off season left, so let's wait and see. The draft addressed the holes in the trenches so I agree with the OP, it was a very good week for the Cowboys.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Good review- but let’s keep in mind Guyton is a WIP - with low energy vs middling competition.

Kneeland is also project like - reports aren’t sure he can be a 3 down player.

The only real sure thing is Beebe. I like the pick but he looks a bit dumpy.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I was pretty excited with the trade down and first three picks.

But the team went off the rails with the Liufau pick.

Kneeland, Beebe are good picks but may not start. I could excuse that easier if we had drafted a starter at RB. So basically, we made a couple of value picks and then neglected the position we did need. That's all good when the value is right, but it wasn't with Liufau. We had basically the pick of the litter for RB there.

Carson seems like a great pick, and I am excited they drafted a fat guy DT.

Don't know if I have any hopes for Thomas or Fortnuoy, but it was a very weak draft overall so there was nothing we could do there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we’ve plugged the holes from FA on OL then it will be a successful draft.

No RB is a concern. Could have landed one in 3rd round 2nd pick.