43. Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
44. Vonn Bell S Ohio St.
45. Joshua Garnett G Stanford

46. Connor Cook QB Michigan St.
47. Michael Thomas WR Ohio St.
48. Germain Ifedi T Texas A&M
49. Vadal Alexander G LSU
50. Derrick Henry RB Alabama

Just Missed - Adolphus Washington DT Ohio St., Sterling Shepard WR Oklahoma, Joshua Perry OLB Ohio St., Shilique Calhoun DE Michigan St., Will Fuller WR Notre Dame, Jihad Ward DE Illinois, Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech, Nick Martin C Notre Dame.

-

Pet Cats

Indoor
Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St.

Outdoor
Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
Jack Conklin T Michigan St.
Josh Doctson WR TCU
Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
Ryan Kelly C Alabama
Braxton Miller WR Ohio St.
Darian Thompson S Boise St.
Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech
Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
Chris Jones DT Mississippi St.
Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina
Harlan Miller CB Southeastern Louisiana
Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky
Cyrus Jones CB Alabama
Paul Perkins RB UCLA
Joe Haeg T North Dakota St.
Adam Gotsis DE/DT Georgia Tech
D.J. Reader DT Clemson
Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central
Joe Dahl G Washington St.
Matt Judon DE Grand Valley St.

-

Mock Draft

This is what I would do NOT what I think the Cowboys will do.

I had this all written out and done a month ago with, of course, Carsus of Bismarck arriving to Big D on a donkey and feeding everyone (even Stephen). I predicted the crucifixion at 1. I quoted the scripture of Parcells 9:31 - and they shall not pick him; and they'll say he is killed, but lookit, after three picks he shall rise again. It all tied in nicely. I even updated it to point out you couldn't spell Romans without R-a-m-s. How they had to move this offseason. They couldn't have Saint anywhere in their name after this. Los Angeles was more appropriate as in Lost your soul and truly Angel-less.

We were football saved. Just keep that roof closed during games and we were golden.

This should have had all happen. But we were once again Jerry Jonesed.

This franchise is dead. But let's play along as if this draft class matters.

1(4) Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
Don't take a RB in the first round. Or an OG. Or a RT. I say take impact players high. Elliott is an impact player providing you have the pieces and philosophy on offense to showcase his skills. Rookie of the year front runner.

2(34) Kevin Dodd DE Clemson
First round talent who could very well still be available at this point based off only one year of production. Emerging player who may end up the best pure pass rusher in this draft. With the size to be scheme versatile.

3(67) Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
The most complete TE in this draft. Excellent blocker. Underutilized receiver. Red zone weapon. Witten's heir apparent.

4(101) Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina St.
Quick twitch developmental 3 tech still on the board due to the level of competition he has faced so far.

4(135) Blake Martinez ILB Stanford
Highly instinctive tackle machine will help immediately on special teams while competing for a job on defense.

6(189) Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central
Former S moved to corner the last two years. Has the natural cover skills to surprise in the NFL.

6(212) Duke Williams WR Auburn
Wild card of the draft. If he's here he's worth the risk. Paging Calvin Hill.

6(216) Tyrone Holmes DE Montana
Nation's sack leader who seems to have fallen through the cracks. Great get off. Deserves a flyer and a Marinelli nickname.

6(217) Stephane Nembot T Colorado
Has the size, length and feet to potentially backup both tackle spots.

Note - Anyone's true mock draft occurs when the team is actually on the clock with their picks. Nobody knows what will be available at each pick. I guarantee you players you think could have gone in round 2 will be there in round 4. Happens every year.

What I did last year in the mock....

1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Little to note. Came on some towards the end of the year. 1 start.

2(60) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson - Couple of starts, couple of sacks. Promising rookie year.

3(91) Duke Johnson RB Miami - 7 starts as the Browns' most productive rookie. 61 catches.

4(127) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - Took the starting job and ran with it. Huge rookie year.

5(163) JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas - The Eagles felt so good about him in the summer that they traded Brandon Boykin. Then Shepherd blew his knee out a day later. Season over.

7(236) DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech - Still coming back from an ACL tear. Niners hoping next year.

7(243) Sean Donnelly T Tulane - Went to camp with the Giants. Presently a free agent.

--

I think Jerry's approach to the QBs is this - If the guy we like falls to 4 we'll consider it but we're not making any effort to make it happen in trade. If that doesn't happen we'll probably see a mid round pick used on a guy like Prescott or Brissett. (Kept from March notes)

I believe Jerry is comfortable at RB. We may not see one taken this year. It would have to be a value choice if we do. I don't believe we'll walk into the war room on Thursday with RB on our mind. I mocked it because I would do it now. I don't believe they will. Elliott is special so maybe that trumps all in their mind. We shall see.

Having said that, I think the needs most pressing to frick and frack when the commish walks to the podium on Thursday will be DE and CB. We lost two DEs in the offseason with Hardy gone and Gregory suspended and clearly not trustworthy. DeMarcus Lawrence also had back surgery in the offseason and now he too is going to miss 4 games on a suspension. The team clearly wants to move on from Brandon Carr or at least cut his salary. Claiborne really got a one year flyer to salvage his career in Dallas. Scandrick is coming off a major injury. This will be the primary focus of our draft. I expect both positions to be addressed within the first 3 or 4 picks.

I can't wait to see Lionel Vital in our war room and look forward to reading the Lionel Vital is secretly running this team threads in the future once the McClay angle runs it's course. Shout out to Duane Allman. A fixture in our war room for many years.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have a productive day 3? Somebody explain to me how a team can be so inept in the 4th thru 7th rounds yet pretty decent in UDFA. Is it because the Jones twins stop caring by that point?

--

We're one week away. My excitement level is at an all time low for the draft. Love the overall process as much as ever but the prospects for Dallas are a foregone conclusion. I tell it like I see it and I see the team has already made a fatal mistake and, to make things worse, lost him to a division rival. If I'm right, we are going to regret it.

But don't let me damper your enthusiasm. We could very well be a few more cornerbacks away from finally getting our swagger back and, damn it, we will get those cornerbacks next week.

Enjoy the draft.

Go Cowboys.

Gaede

Reaction score
Good stuff. The unfortunate thing about this draft: we all thought last year was rock-bottom. This was going to be our chance change things up and build for the future.

But we're not at rock-bottom yet.

As long as Romo is here, we'll win enough games to compete, Jerry and Stephen will cling to their status quo, certain attitudes will run rampant and remain unadjusted, and the team will be run as it always has been. That includes the draft.

Ramsey has been our guy this whole time. We love CBs. For some reason. Prescott has been our guy this whole time. Why pay top dollar for a QB when you can waste a lower round pick instead?

Certain prospects are forgone conclusions, yes.

I'm still clinging on to some hope that we'll be surprised

hendog

Reaction score
Change 3(67) to Sean Davis and I'll dance at your wedding!

slick325

Reaction score
Good stuff Risen. Surprised you have Ramsey that low on your Top 50 big board. I know you aren't a fan of corners but that is too low for him IMO.

Other than that...good stuff sir.

LOBO7

Reaction score
If Romo could stay healthy and we went Elliot in the first there
could be a chapter left in this current story.
Like your mock would take a chance on the Stanford Qb if he is there in the 4th.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Take the four very best DBs in the history of the league, put them on the same defense in today's NFL, and they would have minimal success with no pass rush.

A good pass rush can make a bad secondary be servicable. The opposite does not apply.

The 4 BEST...... that's laughable

Seriously selling those 4 VERY SHORT

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Top 50

1. Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St.
2. Laremy Tunsil T Mississippi
3. Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
4. Jared Goff QB California
5. Myles Jack OLB UCLA

6. Ronnie Stanley T Notre Dame
7. Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
8. Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.
9. Jack Conklin T Michigan St.
10. Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama

11. Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
12. DeForest Buckner DE Oregon
13. Darron Lee OLB Ohio St.
14. Josh Doctson WR TCU
15. Noah Spence DE Eastern Kentucky

16. Corey Coleman WR Baylor
17. Laquon Treadwell WR Mississippi
18. Jarran Reed DT Alabama
19. Jalen Ramsey S Florida St.
20. Paxton Lynch QB Memphis

21. Kevin Dodd DE Clemson
22. Robert Nkemdiche DT Mississippi
23. Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida
24. Ryan Kelly C Alabama
25. Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson

26. A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama
27. Andrew Billings DT Baylor
28. Jason Spriggs T Indiana
29. Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
30. Taylor Decker T Ohio St.

31. Kendall Fuller CB Virginia Tech
32. Cody Whitehair G Kansas St.
33. Darian Thompson S Boise St.
34. Leonard Floyd OLB Georgia
35. Karl Joseph S West Virginia

36. Jonathan Bullard DE Florida
37. Chris Jones DT Mississippi St.
38. Braxton Miller WR Ohio St.
39. William Jackson III CB Houston
40. Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma St.

41. Eli Apple CB Ohio St.
42. Kenny Clark DT UCLA
43. Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
44. Vonn Bell S Ohio St.
45. Joshua Garnett G Stanford

46. Connor Cook QB Michigan St.
47. Michael Thomas WR Ohio St.
48. Germain Ifedi T Texas A&M
49. Vadal Alexander G LSU
50. Derrick Henry RB Alabama

Just Missed - Adolphus Washington DT Ohio St., Sterling Shepard WR Oklahoma, Joshua Perry OLB Ohio St., Shilique Calhoun DE Michigan St., Will Fuller WR Notre Dame, Jihad Ward DE Illinois, Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech, Nick Martin C Notre Dame.

-

Pet Cats

Indoor
Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St.

Outdoor
Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
Jack Conklin T Michigan St.
Josh Doctson WR TCU
Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
Ryan Kelly C Alabama
Braxton Miller WR Ohio St.
Darian Thompson S Boise St.
Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech
Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
Chris Jones DT Mississippi St.
Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina
Harlan Miller CB Southeastern Louisiana
Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky
Cyrus Jones CB Alabama
Paul Perkins RB UCLA
Joe Haeg T North Dakota St.
Adam Gotsis DE/DT Georgia Tech
D.J. Reader DT Clemson
Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central
Joe Dahl G Washington St.
Matt Judon DE Grand Valley St.

-

Mock Draft

This is what I would do NOT what I think the Cowboys will do.

I had this all written out and done a month ago with, of course, Carsus of Bismarck arriving to Big D on a donkey and feeding everyone (even Stephen). I predicted the crucifixion at 1. I quoted the scripture of Parcells 9:31 - and they shall not pick him; and they'll say he is killed, but lookit, after three picks he shall rise again. It all tied in nicely. I even updated it to point out you couldn't spell Romans without R-a-m-s. How they had to move this offseason. They couldn't have Saint anywhere in their name after this. Los Angeles was more appropriate as in Lost your soul and truly Angel-less.

We were football saved. Just keep that roof closed during games and we were golden.

This should have had all happen. But we were once again Jerry Jonesed.

This franchise is dead. But let's play along as if this draft class matters.

1(4) Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
Don't take a RB in the first round. Or an OG. Or a RT. I say take impact players high. Elliott is an impact player providing you have the pieces and philosophy on offense to showcase his skills. Rookie of the year front runner.

2(34) Kevin Dodd DE Clemson
First round talent who could very well still be available at this point based off only one year of production. Emerging player who may end up the best pure pass rusher in this draft. With the size to be scheme versatile.

3(67) Nick Vannett TE Ohio St.
The most complete TE in this draft. Excellent blocker. Underutilized receiver. Red zone weapon. Witten's heir apparent.

4(101) Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina St.
Quick twitch developmental 3 tech still on the board due to the level of competition he has faced so far.

4(135) Blake Martinez ILB Stanford
Highly instinctive tackle machine will help immediately on special teams while competing for a job on defense.

6(189) Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central
Former S moved to corner the last two years. Has the natural cover skills to surprise in the NFL.

6(212) Duke Williams WR Auburn
Wild card of the draft. If he's here he's worth the risk. Paging Calvin Hill.

6(216) Tyrone Holmes DE Montana
Nation's sack leader who seems to have fallen through the cracks. Great get off. Deserves a flyer and a Marinelli nickname.

6(217) Stephane Nembot T Colorado
Has the size, length and feet to potentially backup both tackle spots.

Note - Anyone's true mock draft occurs when the team is actually on the clock with their picks. Nobody knows what will be available at each pick. I guarantee you players you think could have gone in round 2 will be there in round 4. Happens every year.

What I did last year in the mock....

1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Little to note. Came on some towards the end of the year. 1 start.

2(60) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson - Couple of starts, couple of sacks. Promising rookie year.

3(91) Duke Johnson RB Miami - 7 starts as the Browns' most productive rookie. 61 catches.

4(127) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - Took the starting job and ran with it. Huge rookie year.

5(163) JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas - The Eagles felt so good about him in the summer that they traded Brandon Boykin. Then Shepherd blew his knee out a day later. Season over.

7(236) DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech - Still coming back from an ACL tear. Niners hoping next year.

7(243) Sean Donnelly T Tulane - Went to camp with the Giants. Presently a free agent.

--

I think Jerry's approach to the QBs is this - If the guy we like falls to 4 we'll consider it but we're not making any effort to make it happen in trade. If that doesn't happen we'll probably see a mid round pick used on a guy like Prescott or Brissett. (Kept from March notes)

I believe Jerry is comfortable at RB. We may not see one taken this year. It would have to be a value choice if we do. I don't believe we'll walk into the war room on Thursday with RB on our mind. I mocked it because I would do it now. I don't believe they will. Elliott is special so maybe that trumps all in their mind. We shall see.

Having said that, I think the needs most pressing to frick and frack when the commish walks to the podium on Thursday will be DE and CB. We lost two DEs in the offseason with Hardy gone and Gregory suspended and clearly not trustworthy. DeMarcus Lawrence also had back surgery in the offseason and now he too is going to miss 4 games on a suspension. The team clearly wants to move on from Brandon Carr or at least cut his salary. Claiborne really got a one year flyer to salvage his career in Dallas. Scandrick is coming off a major injury. This will be the primary focus of our draft. I expect both positions to be addressed within the first 3 or 4 picks.

I can't wait to see Lionel Vital in our war room and look forward to reading the Lionel Vital is secretly running this team threads in the future once the McClay angle runs it's course. Shout out to Duane Allman. A fixture in our war room for many years.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have a productive day 3? Somebody explain to me how a team can be so inept in the 4th thru 7th rounds yet pretty decent in UDFA. Is it because the Jones twins stop caring by that point?

--

We're one week away. My excitement level is at an all time low for the draft. Love the overall process as much as ever but the prospects for Dallas are a foregone conclusion. I tell it like I see it and I see the team has already made a fatal mistake and, to make things worse, lost him to a division rival. If I'm right, we are going to regret it.

But don't let me damper your enthusiasm. We could very well be a few more cornerbacks away from finally getting our swagger back and, damn it, we will get those cornerbacks next week.

Enjoy the draft.

Go Cowboys.

Great Great write up RS! Fantastic work really!

I just don't like our approach to the QB position is like deja Vu. Last year it was such a weak spot and we don't nothing to improve that, and I don't think Dak does anything there. I'd hope we would have a shot at Lynch in the 2nd but I don't see him last that long. I would take a flier on Kessler, Hogan, Hackenburg and even maybe a Driskel as he was a top talent when he committed to Florida drawing comparisons to Troy. I dunno man so disappointing with how this offseason has gone. What a crappy year to have the 4th pick.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Take the four very best DBs in the history of the league, put them on the same defense in today's NFL, and they would have minimal success with no pass rush.

A good pass rush can make a bad secondary be servicable. The opposite does not apply.

And you think the four best pass rushers would have success with guys who couldn't cover for more than 2 seconds... you need both a pass rush and a good secondary if you want to have success.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Doesn't matter Ramsey is way better then 19th overall. .....that's my point

morasp

Reaction score
What I saw in the Broncos/Patriots game was a good combination of pass rush/coverage. The Broncos did a really good job of taking away Brady's first option which gave that extra second to allow the pass rush to get there. That type of effort requires talented players but also good coaching to know what that first option was. So I guess a good pass defense needs good coaching, good pass rush, and good pass coverage.

Jenky

Reaction score
What I saw in the Broncos/Patriots game was a good combination of pass rush/coverage. The Broncos did a really good job of taking away Brady's first option which gave that extra second to allow the pass rush to get there. That type of effort requires talented players but also good coaching to know what that first option was.

Anyway you cut it, the Broncos have talent on all 3 levels of their D.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And you think the four best pass rushers would have success with guys who couldn't cover for more than 2 seconds... you need both a pass rush and a good secondary if you want to have success.

Was my point exaggerated? Yes.

My opinion is that it's much easier to mask a bad secondary with a good pass rush than the opposite, hence Risen devaluing Ramsey, or so I'm speculating that being the reason. It would be mine.

I'm sure people disagree in premise, and that's ok.