My draft thoughts....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ol had nothing to do with Randle being a head case. I am using him as an example of putting too much faith in our OL, and ignoring obvious red flags with your current running backs. That blew up in our face last year and I'd rather not repeat that mistake

Randle's gone, never to return, so you're safe on that.

All of a sudden, ppl are acting like McFadden is mr.reliable or Morris is quality depth or Dunabr is actually going to play a whole season, when they have proven the exact opposite in their careers. But our OL will make them less injury prone or mediocre, right?

Too bad that any running back they add would do the same thing. In any round he's drafted.

Who is distorting reality? The one who steadfastly believes in McFaddens durability or the one who wants to draft someone a)better b)younger c)less injury prone?

I'm well aware of McFadden's durability issues. And I'm glad they've covered themselves with Morris, who never gets hurt. And any rookie they add to the mix will surely help too.

Didn't I say I am ok with drafting Tunsi in my first post? Pretty sure I did

Great, then there's no need for any continued debate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He makes good points. You don't. Michael also doesn't need to resort to being a loud mouth to make his point

As long as you can see the points, I can deal with the slings and arrows.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weakest position or not, if your o-line can turn an average/non elite RB that you say Murray is, into an 1800 yard back and can bring McFadden "back from the dead," then it's not that weak. And if Tunsil is as good as a prospect as many claim, then we should be able to get a good deal in a trade down. I agree that Elliot is not a good value at #4 and to me, neither are Ramsey, Bosa or Buckner. Trade down and see what we falls to us.

A trade down wouldn't kill me either, as long as they got good value for it. They suffered through a 4-12 season and got this #4 pick as a result. And I would hate to see them waste the opportunity. And they'd really look like idiots if they got ripped off while the Titans and Browns made out like bandits.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
A trade down wouldn't kill me either, as long as they got good value for it. They suffered through a 4-12 season and got this #4 pick as a result. And I would hate to see them waste the opportunity. And they'd really look like idiots if they got ripped off while the Titans and Browns made out like bandits.

The problem with you're line of thinking, is there's just no reason to compare what the Titans and Browns got to what we could potentially get. For starters, according to the draft pick value chart (and every previous version) the difference between draft picks decrease as you move further away from #1, so dropping three spots is not equal at different points in the draft. So since the #4 pick is not as valuable as the #1 or #2 pick, there's no reason to expect a future first rounder like they got. Not unless we drop far further than we really want to (which also means it's less likely the future #1 ends up being a top pick). Second, teams often over pay when trading up for a QB, and that obviously won't be the case at #4. We *may* get lucky that multiple teams may be interested and drive up the cost of the #4 pick, but to be honest, good value, according to the trade value chart, I likely to be between a third (if we're talking 2-3 spots) and second rounder (4-7 spots), depending on how far we drop. If we went all the way to #15, we could get a #2 and a #3, but I'm not sure if I drop down that far.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I agree. There is. We like to think the way the last team won it is the only way.

However, the toughest route to take is one without the QB.

I agree with that statement. QB is the hardest position to get right and with an elite QB you have a chance. With an elite defense you always have a chance as well.

The problem is Garrett and the team rely too much on Romo and the things he can do. I support Garrett but feel coaches, mainly, have been holding us back. When Romo went down our offense was a shame to watch, like we didn't have a plan for play from play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with you're line of thinking, is there's just no reason to compare what the Titans and Browns got to what we could potentially get. For starters, according to the draft pick value chart (and every previous version) the difference between draft picks decrease as you move further away from #1, so dropping three spots is not equal at different points in the draft. So since the #4 pick is not as valuable as the #1 or #2 pick, there's no reason to expect a future first rounder like they got. Not unless we drop far further than we really want to (which also means it's less likely the future #1 ends up being a top pick). Second, teams often over pay when trading up for a QB, and that obviously won't be the case at #4. We *may* get lucky that multiple teams may be interested and drive up the cost of the #4 pick, but to be honest, good value, according to the trade value chart, I likely to be between a third (if we're talking 2-3 spots) and second rounder (4-7 spots), depending on how far we drop. If we went all the way to #15, we could get a #2 and a #3, but I'm not sure if I drop down that far.

I'm not saying we have to get a king's ransom or some blockbuster like the two teams did for the quarterbacks, of course I don't expect that to happen. I just don't want to see them trade at a loss as I have seen in the past.

They've got the #4 overall pick for a reason. They earned it in 2015. If an enticing, advantageous offer isn't there, don't be afraid to simply make your pick at your spot.