My final four in college playoffs

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with this is scheduling across the conferences. You’d be adding three more games on top of the conference schedule + conference championship games. As it is already, the winner of this year will have played at least 14 games. So until they come to some sort of agreement and set a standard for regular season games across the board, I don’t think expansion will happen.

So what? They take the whole month of december off for no reason. UGA and Bama play silly games against Middle Tennesee State, Umass, The Citadel. They can drop these games if they need rest.

Plus, It only adds 1 extra game for 2 schools compared to the current system. Easily doable.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
So what? They take the whole month of december off for no reason. UGA and Bama play silly games against Middle Tennesee State, Umass, The Citadel. They can drop these games if they need rest.

Plus, It only adds 1 extra game for 2 schools compared to the current system. Easily doable.

I actually agree with you. Those UMass/Citadel games are essentially extra bye weeks. I’m just saying until something is standardized I don’t think it’s very like it goes to 8 teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually agree with you. Those UMass/Citadel games are essentially extra bye weeks. I’m just saying until something is standardized I don’t think it’s very like it goes to 8 teams.

It will go to 8 teams b/c thats where the bigger money trail leads. Once there is a start date for the expanded playoff, schools can set their schedules accordingly. For years folks propped up the bowl system with false arguments about it watering down the regular season and diminishing the importance of conference champions. We've gone from an elected champion to a 2 team title game to a 4 team playoff..............its inevitable......just wish it didn't take so long.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which simply means nothing. LSU's best defensive players are declaring for the draft and skipping the UCF game. So stats mean nothing. Its all about who actually plays.

Stats only mean nothing when stats goes against ones arguments.
They mean everything when they prove an argument.

And those stats did not just fall on LSU...That was the SEC as a whole in bowl games vs the Big 12 as a whole in bowl games last year.

It averaged out all teams points allowed.

And although you might have a player or two from a couple of schools not playing in a bowl game...MOST do play.

On and I am pretty sure that LSU was playing most of it's starters when they allowed A&M to score 74 points in multiple OTs. Now that is GREAT DEFENSE.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
It will go to 8 teams b/c thats where the bigger money trail leads. Once there is a start date for the expanded playoff, schools can set their schedules accordingly. For years folks propped up the bowl system with false arguments about it watering down the regular season and diminishing the importance of conference champions. We've gone from an elected champion to a 2 team title game to a 4 team playoff..............its inevitable......just wish it didn't take so long.

Fair point about the $$$. That truly dictates everything when it comes to CFB. I think it’s doable but getting the conferences to agree is another matter. Something like a requirement to play 8/9 conference games plus one/two P5 opponents for a total of 10 reg season games plus a bye week somewhere in the middle. Roll into the conference championship games and then another bye before the playoffs. With the 6 big bowls you have built in quarter and semi final games. Then the championship site can just rotate year to year. You’d be looking at a max of 14 games over a 16 week season.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I don't know, to me get the 4 best teams.

Which to me are Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and take your pick of either Ohio State or Notre Dame.

To be clear--I'm not an SEC guy. I went to a Big Ten school. But I'm also honest. A lot of people where I live complain about an SEC Bias. Well, there should be an SEC bias. When your conference produces 9 out of the last 10 national champions, you should get some leeway.

I just want to watch good games. Leaving out Georgia to get in either Oklahoma or Ohio State does nothing to promote a good game.

Bama Georgia Saturday night was an epic game. Even as a fan of a Big Ten team, I'm not naive enough to think that year in and year out we are on par. The best football in the country is played down in the Southeast and that is readily evident. I'd rather watch Bama and Georgia go at it again, as opposed to watching Bama beat the hell out of Ohio State or Oklahoma by 35.

The title game last year featured 2 SEC teams and it was a fantastic game. The two best teams met for the title and it was great theater. Absolutely amazing to watch. That should be the goal of the CFP, regardless of conference or regional implications. Just my $.02

I know the ACC has 2 out of the last 5 or 6 so SEC definitely hasn’t won 9 out 10. I also thought OSU won one in the last ten years.

I like the idea of each conference champion plus one team. It will still be a debate out that one team because would you take a team that didn’t make their conference title game or a team that lost their conference title game?

4th_and_short

Reaction score
I know the ACC has 2 out of the last 5 or 6 so SEC definitely hasn’t won 9 out 10. I also thought OSU won one in the last ten years.

I like the idea of each conference champion plus one team. It will still be a debate out that one team because would you take a team that didn’t make their conference title game or a team that lost their conference title game?

I want to say that after UT won it in ‘05 the SEC ripped
off 7 straight between Bama, Florida, Auburn and LSU. Florida State won in 2013 to end the streak when they beat Auburn the last year before the playoffs started. Since then it’s been OSU, Bama, Clemson, & Bama again.

Last edited:

uvaballa

Reaction score
I want to say that after UT won it in ‘05 the SEC ripped
off 7 straight between Bama, Florida, Auburn and LSU. Florida State won in 2013 to end the streak when they beat Auburn the last year before the playoffs started. Since then it’s been OSU, Bama, Clemson, & Bama again.
Yeah so that’s 7 out of 10 but not 9.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

Yes sorry it was supposed to be 9 out of 12 and I did not catch he typo

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats only mean nothing when stats goes against ones arguments.
They mean everything when they prove an argument.

And those stats did not just fall on LSU...That was the SEC as a whole in bowl games vs the Big 12 as a whole in bowl games last year.

It averaged out all teams points allowed.

And although you might have a player or two from a couple of schools not playing in a bowl game...MOST do play.

On and I am pretty sure that LSU was playing most of it's starters when they allowed A&M to score 74 points in multiple OTs. Now that is GREAT DEFENSE.

So in your view of college football, the defensive talent is evenly distributed? The Big 12 didn't have a single defensive player drafted in round 1 or round 2 in the 2018 draft. As I stated earlier, the conference doesn't play defense. So, all of the offensive numbers are skewed. LSU's defense is superior to anyone in the big 12 in terms of talent , and its not even close.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The problem with this is scheduling across the conferences. You’d be adding three more games on top of the conference schedule + conference championship games. As it is already, the winner of this year will have played at least 14 games. So until they come to some sort of agreement and set a standard for regular season games across the board, I don’t think expansion will happen.

The FCS schools have 16 teams in the playoffs and finish about the same time as the FBS does, with it's 4 team playoff. Eminently doable...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd prefer a 6-team playoff.

All 5 of the major conference champs, plus one.

Two byes
#6 plays #3 for the right to play #2
#5 plays #4 for the right to play #1

The UCFs of the world deserve nothing.

So the bye teams miss out on tons of money while they sit at home? The NCAA is all about money making, that's not going to happen.

The playoffs have to be doubled every time from two teams to keep all the teams playing, in other words 2-4-8-16-32 teams. Same as in drag racing, since they run two cars at a time.

Would be very hard to make the argument that a team that is ranked 16th is capable of winning the championship, like this year if you had a 16 team playoff you'd be saying Kentucky, who lost 3 games, has a real shot to beat an Alabama or Clemson? Possible, but very unlikely.

Now an 8th ranked team, that's a bit more likely they could win, like if they had some key injuries early in the year (like the first NFL wild card SB winning Raiders). So I've always felt an 8 team playoff is reasonable...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So in your view of college football, the defensive talent is evenly distributed? The Big 12 didn't have a single defensive player drafted in round 1 or round 2 in the 2018 draft. As I stated earlier, the conference doesn't play defense. So, all of the offensive numbers are skewed. LSU's defense is superior to anyone in the big 12 in terms of talent , and its not even close.

The point differential stated is a grand total of 1.70 pts, about 6% more, or barely half of a field goal.

Don't see that as being statistically significant...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quit putting words in my mouth that I never said and quit with the straw man arguments.

I NEVER said the defense in the conferences were just as good. I would never say that because they are not. Just as the Offenses in the big 12 are not on par with the offenses int he Big 12.

Oklahoma's offense is superior to anyone's offense in the SEC and it is not even close.

And if LSU defense is superior to anyone in the the Big 12...why would LSU give up over 70+ points to A&M this year alone...that LSU Defense you claim is superior to anyone in the BIg 12 in Talent gave up 70+ points.

And you can also ignore stats all you want but the truth is that last year in bowl games the SEC as a whole averaged giving up more points than the Big 12 defenses did.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And if LSU defense is superior to anyone in the the Big 12...why would LSU give up over 70+ points to A&M this year alone...that LSU Defense you claim is superior to anyone in the BIg 12 in Talent gave up 70+ points.

That was a seven overtime game, that's such an aberration you can't use that game to say a team's defense isn't that good. The teams get the ball on the 25 yard line. Most drives that don't result in points are due to the offensive team making mistakes - missed blocks, dropped passes, penalties. Starting from the 25 is much easier to score per drive.

But realistically, you can't say one conference's defense is better than another unless those teams all play the same opponents, or teams from one conference play the other conference a lot. For instance LSU didn't play a single Big-10 team, where as Ohio State didn't play a single SEC team...

kskboys

Reaction score
So the bye teams miss out on tons of money while they sit at home? The NCAA is all about money making, that's not going to happen.

The playoffs have to be doubled every time from two teams to keep all the teams playing, in other words 2-4-8-16-32 teams. Same as in drag racing, since they run two cars at a time.

Would be very hard to make the argument that a team that is ranked 16th is capable of winning the championship, like this year if you had a 16 team playoff you'd be saying Kentucky, who lost 3 games, has a real shot to beat an Alabama or Clemson? Possible, but very unlikely.

Now an 8th ranked team, that's a bit more likely they could win, like if they had some key injuries early in the year (like the first NFL wild card SB winning Raiders). So I've always felt an 8 team playoff is reasonable...
When you set up the playoffs for any sport, you pick the best, most fair, most logical number. The fact that a bottom seed will mostly lose to a top seed is irrelevant. Not sure where that argument started, but its basis is weak.

14th ranked UT beat 5th ranked OK.

Who'd OH ST lose to? Purdue wasn't it? Are they even ranked?

The worst team in the 64 team NCAA Bball tourney will never win it all. So, why do it?

Earning your way into the playoffs is an honor in itself, and if there would be a 16 team playoff system, more talented players would start going to those schools.

Out of 132 or so teams, 16 is more than reasonable. 8 really is not.

erod

Reaction score

If it was only about money, why wouldn't Alabama play OU, Ohio State, and Texas every year in their non-conference games and walk away with piles of it? Instead, they play The Citadel.

Split the initial round money six ways. Those two bye schools would MUCH rather be assured to play in the semifinals healthy and rested. Recruiting will benefit hugely.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a seven overtime game, that's such an aberration you can't use that game to say a team's defense isn't that good. The teams get the ball on the 25 yard line. Most drives that don't result in points are due to the offensive team making mistakes - missed blocks, dropped passes, penalties. Starting from the 25 is much easier to score per drive.

But realistically, you can't say one conference's defense is better than another unless those teams all play the same opponents, or teams from one conference play the other conference a lot. For instance LSU didn't play a single Big-10 team, where as Ohio State didn't play a single SEC team...

If that LSU Defense is as good as the poster claimed it was...it should not have allowed that many OT periods ESP when you consider teams HAVE to go for 2 points after so many OT periods.

But I would be willing to grant him that the SEC has better defensive teams as a whole as long as he would admit that Big 12 has better offenses as a whole.

You could put a few high scoring teams in the sec and their offensive numbers might go down but they would still put up good numbers.
You could put a few good defensive teams from the SEC into the big 12 and they still might do well defensively but their ppg allowed would go up.

Point being...People always want to say the big 12 does not play defense but they never take into account that the Big 12 has some pretty good Offenses.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it was only about money, why wouldn't Alabama play OU, Ohio State, and Texas every year in their non-conference games and walk away with piles of it? Instead, they play The Citadel.

Split the initial round money six ways. Those two bye schools would MUCH rather be assured to play in the semifinals healthy and rested. Recruiting will benefit hugely.

You assume OU, OSU, and Texas want to play Alabama.