My final four in college playoffs

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I**** was only about money, why wouldn't Alabama play OU, Ohio State, and Texas every year in their non-conference games and walk away with piles of it? Instead, they play The Citadel.

Split the initial round money six ways. Those two bye schools would MUCH rather be assured to play in the semifinals healthy and rested. Recruiting will benefit hugely.

Because Alabama wouldn't beat OU, etc. all every year, regardless of money they still want to get titles. And titles mean more booster money, etc....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
f that LSU Defense is as good as the poster claimed it was...it should not have allowed that many OT periods ESP when you consider teams HAVE to go for 2 points after so many OT periods.

Again, that's such an aberration of a game, I don't consider that as being useful at all as saying LSU doesn't have a very good defense...

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2018

Funny this seems to work out nicely every year for a true champion. All sports have a playoff bracket, I don't understand why FBS is so different. Playoffs is what helps make sports great. Just because a team had one bad game during the season shouldn't dictate their playoffs.

Don't give me the BS about kids having to play so many games when their smaller school counterparts are doing just that. I don't even watch bowl games, name all these playoff games a bowl game and ratings would go through the roof. I would much rather watch a 7 or 8 seed trying to beat the odds and advance.

If it is too many games, don't play those meaningless games against south central Louisiana university and play your conference schedule, the best teams advance.

I just don't understand what the big deal is, every year there are arguments over who should be in, this eliminates all that.

JMO of course, I would love a real playoff format. Maybe not 24 like FCS, but 16, and at the very least 8.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
What really stinks is that we're still having these types of debates in the year 2018. If they can't get it right by now, they will never get it right.

College basketball has a problem too, although most people feel as if it's 'almost' perfect. Imagine being a mid-major, going 16-0 in your conference, winning the regular season title and then losing in the championship game to a team with whom you beat TWICE during the regular season. That one 'bad' game reared it's ugly head at the absolute worst time so now you're headed to the NIT tournament while having to watch the big dance from your coach. Now that sucks!!!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point being, it's not all about money. Otherwise, all the big schools would do that in the non-conference games instead of playing nobodies for just the gate.

I agree. And I think if the playoff was a bigger field and the margin of error not so slim, you would see more competitive non-conference match-ups. UGA played 2 patsies and still ranks #1 in SOS. Why the heck would they want to play Clemson week 1 when their SEC schedule already gives them the toughest schedule in the country?

4th_and_short

Reaction score
The FCS schools have 16 teams in the playoffs and finish about the same time as the FBS does, with it's 4 team playoff. Eminently doable...

I don’t pay much attention to the FCS so I don’t know, but how many games do they play during the regular season? That’s the main issue with expansion. It’s doable but not without reducing reg season games.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t pay much attention to the FCS so I don’t know, but how many games do they play during the regular season? That’s the main issue with expansion. It’s doable but not without reducing reg season games.

Why do they need the entire month of december off? There is no need to touch the regular season.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score

North Dakota who is the powerhouse of the FCS played 11 games this season, is on track to win the National Championship this year and will play an addition 4 games (they recieved a buy the first round due to being the 1 seed, 8 teams get a bye so if you aren't one of the top 8 teams you could potentially play 5 extra games. So at most 16 game season.

Alabama played 12 regular, with conference championship as an additional 1. 4 team playoff makes 2 additional games. So 15 games, which is the same amount NDSU will play since they were a high seed.

Cut one regular season game and conference championships since they are like playoff games anyway and they could easily expand the playoffs.

Plus I don't understand why the big schools couldn't play more games, they arguably have better talent, better doctors, better facilities for treatment of their players. The FCS is doing just fine and there is no argument over the national champion, they earn it every damn year.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
North Dakota who is the powerhouse of the FCS played 11 games this season, is on track to win the National Championship this year and will play an addition 4 games (they recieved a buy the first round due to being the 1 seed, 8 teams get a bye so if you aren't one of the top 8 teams you could potentially play 5 extra games. So at most 16 game season.

Alabama played 12 regular, with conference championship as an additional 1. 4 team playoff makes 2 additional games. So 15 games, which is the same amount NDSU will play since they were a high seed.

Cut one regular season game and conference championships since they are like playoff games anyway and they could easily expand the playoffs.

Plus I don't understand why the big schools couldn't play more games, they arguably have better talent, better doctors, better facilities for treatment of their players. The FCS is doing just fine and there is no argument over the national champion, they earn it every damn year.

Fair enough, thanks for the info. I looked into it a little and saw that the playoffs start in November, and that they’re already down to the quarter finals. So you’d definitely have to adjust the FBS schedule to fit the expanded playoff.

How do they decide conference winners? Just whoever has the best overall conference record? I’m asking out of curiosity.

Also agree about the better resources for the FBS schools.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

They play 11 vs 12 in the FBS, but have a 16 team playoff, meaning 4 post season rounds. FBS plays 12 but with an 8 team playoff that would be only 3 post season rounds.

To win the FCS you have to play 15 games, it would be the same for the FBS with an 8 game playoff...

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
How do they decide conference winners? Just whoever has the best overall conference record? I’m asking out of curiosity.

Best record basically with tie breaking scenarios followed in the event of ties. For example I've listed the Southland Conference's below.

"6.03 Postseason Procedures. The following procedures shall apply to how the Conference determines its automatic qualifying participant for the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

6.03.01 Automatic NCAA Qualifier. The recipient of the Conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Football Championship shall be the team with the best record in the round-robin competition. In the event the Conference or NCAA prohibits a team from participation in postseason competition, it shall be eliminated from championship consideration. All other qualified teams are eligible for at-large selection. [11/08]

6.03.02 Tie-Breaking Procedures. The following procedures shall be utilized to determine the automatic bid recipient when NCAA Championship-eligible teams are tied for the top position.

6.03.02.01 Tie Between Two Teams. In case of a two-way tie for the championship, the team that defeated the other team shall be the automatic bid recipient. If the two (2) teams did not play one another, then the tied teams’ won-loss results against the next highest-positioned team(s) they both played shall be compared. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the NCAA automatic bid. When comparing tied teams’ records against other teams in order above or below the tie in question, all other teams not involved in the tie are eligible to be compared with. [5/14]

6.03.02.02 Tie Between Three or More Teams. If three (3) or more teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedure as outlined in 6.03.02.01 shall be followed with the following exceptions:

(a) If three (3) or more teams are tied and if one (1) should have an advantage in head-to-head competition over the other teams, that team shall be the automatic bid recipient;

(b) If three (3) or more teams are tied and if two (2) or more should have an advantage in head-to-head competition over the other team, those teams with the advantage shall be evaluated using the twoway or multiple tie-breaking procedures and the other team eliminated; and/or

(c) If three (3) or more teams remain tied, and if the tied teams did not play each other, then the tied teams’ won-loss results against the next highest-positioned team(s) they each played shall be compared. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the NCAA automatic bid. When comparing tied teams’ records against other teams below the tie in question, all other teams not involved in the tie are eligible to be compared with. [5/14]

6.03.02.03 Computer Rankings. Should the above tiebreaking procedures not resolve the tie(s) and determine the automatic bid, the Conference shall utilize the final computerized ranking of the NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) to designate the Conference’s highest-rated team and automatic bid recipient. [5/14]

6.03.02.04 Unbreakable Ties. If a tie remains after the above procedures are attempted, the NCAA Championship-eligible member that has been absent from the Division I Championship for the longest period of time shall be designated as the Conference’s representative in the Division I Championship.

6.03.02.05 Tie-Breaker Drawing. If a tie remains after the procedure outlined in 6.03.02.03 is attempted, a drawing shall be conducted by the Commissioner."