My first and only mock draft

DanA

Reaction score
I was pretty happy when I ran the PFN Mock Draft simulator and got the following:

Trade:
Pick 26 for Pick 39 and DT D.Brown (Panthers)
  • 39. Darnell Washington TE Georgia

• 58. Steve Avila OG TCU

• 90. Noah Sewell LB Oregon

• 129. Roschon Johnson RB Texas

• 176. Dorian Thompson-Robinson QB UCLA

• 212. Atonio Mafi OG UCLA

• 244. Anfernee Orji LB Vanderbilt

I think that's just about as good of an immediate impact draft as you could get.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'd be pretty happy with it even without factoring in Derrick Brown. With him, it's a grand slam.

DanA

Reaction score
Yeah, way too good to be true.

Noah Sewel was probably the only pick I didn't love but everyone else I wanted there was a TE or OC and I already took Washington and Avila. In hind sight, I probably would take Tank Dell who was available.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was pretty happy when I ran the PFN Mock Draft simulator and got the following:

Trade:

• 58. Steve Avila OG TCU

I think that's just about as good of an immediate impact draft as you could get.
Not bad but you could improve it with 1 move: your 2nd round pick. Don't need to use it on an OG when you already addressed OG with your 6th round (212th) Pick. Use your 2nd round pick on DT interior stud, Gervon Dexter Sr. THAT would make your mock draft so much better. You would address different positions of need in every round.

In other words, make your draft look like this:

Trade:

• 58. Gervon Dexter, Sr. DT Florida

With this slight change, your mock draft would be lights out!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Not bad but you could improve it with 1 move: your 2nd round pick. Don't need to use it on an OG when you already addressed OG with your 6th round (212th) Pick. Use your 2nd round pick on DT interior stud, Gervon Dexter Sr. THAT would make your mock draft so much better. You would address different positions of need in every round.

Trade:

Yeah, why would you use a 2nd round pick on a guard when you already used a 6th round pick on a guard? LOL, dude your so lost!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, why would you use a 2nd round pick on a guard when you already used a 6th round pick on a guard? LOL, dude your so lost!
I would draft and build a team that would eat your team up...and laugh at you while doing it.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score

Trade:

My opinion is that Derrick Brown solves the DT issues and that I'd rather Mafi develop as a backup behind a starter (Avila). We could look at shifting Avila to OC and Mafi starting next season (with Biadasz out of contract) if it's warranted in 2024 but for now, I'm not a big fan of presuming a 6th-round pick to be a walk-up starter. Plus I just think Avila is a much better player than Dexter but I guess part of the fun of it is that we all see players differently.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My opinion is that Derrick Brown solves the DT issues and that I'd rather Mafi develop as a backup behind a starter (Avila). We could look at shifting Avila to OC and Mafi starting next season (with Biadasz out of contract) if it's warranted in 2024 but for now, I'm not a big fan of presuming a 6th-round pick to be a walk-up starter. Plus I just think Avila is a much better player than Dexter but I guess part of the fun of it is that we all see players differently.
I've seen Avila's tapes. He's very stiff, limited agility, plays upright too much, etc. Here are some cons about him:

*Can occasionally struggle with explosive defenders who are capable of quickly attacking his edge.

*10-yard split was well below the preferred 1.75 that you’d like to see out of an interior linemen.

*Would prefer him to have more nastiness to his game. It’s a sight to behold when he wants to be a mean blocker.

*Not the most naturally-fluid mover when working laterally.

*Not as scheme-versatile as some of the other linemen in the class and is probably better suited for a gap scheme that will allow him to impose his massive frame and strength on the opposition.

*His lateral quickness, or lack thereof, makes it hard for him to recover when he’s not the initial aggressor.

*Needs to play with proper pad level at the point of attack more consistently or he will be exposed at the next level.

*Must improve his ability to sustain blocks after initial contact is made.

In other words, he's the opposite of Tyler Smith. Matt Farniok (6th rounder) is much better at all the cons Avila has. Plus, Farniok is young, has 2 years of experience at both Left Guard and Center, and he's a legit threat this training camp to start if needed.

Get the young stud DT who is excellent in run stopping (which we direly need) and can even pressure the QB at times. Gervon Dexter Sr would contribute right away this year. Avila not so much due to the competition and experience at Left Guard and Center.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Big fan of a lot of the players but Washington at 26 is a massive reach IMO.

I like the upside, but it’s a low value position and a player that has shown very little receiving ability on film.

DanA

Reaction score
Big fan of a lot of the players but Washington at 26 is a massive reach IMO.

I like the upside, but it’s a low value position and a player that has shown very little receiving ability on film.
He was taken at 39.

DanA

Reaction score
I've seen Avila's tapes. He's very stiff, limited agility, plays upright too much, etc. Here are some cons about him:

*Can occasionally struggle with explosive defenders who are capable of quickly attacking his edge.

*10-yard split was well below the preferred 1.75 that you’d like to see out of an interior linemen.

*Would prefer him to have more nastiness to his game. It’s a sight to behold when he wants to be a mean blocker.

*Not the most naturally-fluid mover when working laterally.

*Not as scheme-versatile as some of the other linemen in the class and is probably better suited for a gap scheme that will allow him to impose his massive frame and strength on the opposition.

*His lateral quickness, or lack thereof, makes it hard for him to recover when he’s not the initial aggressor.

*Needs to play with proper pad level at the point of attack more consistently or he will be exposed at the next level.

*Must improve his ability to sustain blocks after initial contact is made.

In other words, he's the opposite of Tyler Smith. Matt Farniok (6th rounder) is much better at all the cons Avila has. Plus, Farniok is young, has 2 years of experience at both Left Guard and Center, and he's a legit threat this training camp to start if needed.

Get the young stud DT who is excellent in run stopping (which we direly need) and can even pressure the QB at times. Gervon Dexter Sr would contribute right away this year. Avila not so much due to the competition and experience at Left Guard and Center.
I think Dane Bruglar had Avila ahead of Dexter and I've heard many on the draft show say he's an option in the 1st as a day 1 starter so I'm clearly not the only one who sees him as the better prospect despite the cons you've raised. But that's kind of a moot point anyway as in this scenario we traded for a run-stuffing DT (Derrick Brown). We already have Hankins and Bohanna and just added the former no.7 pick overall that PFF graded 84.4....how many do you need?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think Dane Bruglar had Avila ahead of Dexter and I've heard many on the draft show say he's an option in the 1st as a day 1 starter so I'm clearly not the only one who sees him as the better prospect despite the cons you've raised. But that's kind of a moot point anyway as in this scenario we traded for a run-stuffing DT (Derrick Brown). We already have Hankins and Bohanna and just added the former no.7 pick overall that PFF graded 84.4....how many do you need?
Hankins is old. Gets injured nowadays. Bohanna has been a disappointment. Should have kept John Ridgeway while cutting Bohanna. Pretty much leaves you thin at having a legit, young, strong and effective interior DT who can play all 3 downs and last all season long.

visionary

Reaction score

Trade:

• 58. Steve Avila OG TCU

Best I’ve seen so far but I doubt the Cowboys or the Panthers would do it

DanA

Reaction score
My typo…still too rich for me.
For me, the athletic traits were enticing enough to take a chance at 39 but I totally get where you are coming from.

Would love to have him, but Brown is too good of a DT for the Panthers to do this trade.
The Panthers putting up Brown as a trade came out of left field and was the only reason I posted it. I hadn't done one of those draft sims in a long while and straight up I got a fantasy trade and draft fall perfectly (unrealistically so).

Hankins is old. Gets injured nowadays. Bohanna has been a disappointment. Should have kept John Ridgeway while cutting Bohanna. Pretty much leaves you thin at having a legit, young, strong and effective interior DT who can play all 3 downs and last all season long.
But it doesn't leave us short because in this scenario we are talking about guys that will rotate in behind one of the best run stuffing DT's n the NFL vs a guy that would compete with Matt Farniok to start at guard.

cnuball21

Reaction score
For me, the athletic traits were enticing enough to take a chance at 39 but I totally get where you are coming from.

The Panthers putting up Brown as a trade came out of left field and was the only reason I posted it. I hadn't done one of those draft sims in a long while and straight up I got a fantasy trade and draft fall perfectly (unrealistically so).

But it doesn't leave us short because in this scenario we are talking about guys that will rotate in behind one of the best run stuffing DT's n the NFL vs a guy that would compete with Matt Farniok to start at guard.
Fair enough. I actually think Wash or Musgrave will slide to 58.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Trade:

• 58. Steve Avila OG TCU

Sure!
but pure fantasy

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Derrick Brown would be a home run trade, especially at that price. 2 years of Brown is better than 5 years of any rookie DT in this class.