My first and only mock draft

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not bad but you could improve it with 1 move: your 2nd round pick. Don't need to use it on an OG when you already addressed OG with your 6th round (212th) Pick. Use your 2nd round pick on DT interior stud, Gervon Dexter Sr. THAT would make your mock draft so much better. You would address different positions of need in every round.

In other words, make your draft look like this:

Trade:
Pick 26 for Pick 39 and DT D.Brown (Panthers)
  • 39. Darnell Washington TE Georgia

• 58. Gervon Dexter, Sr. DT Florida

• 90. Noah Sewell LB Oregon

• 129. Roschon Johnson RB Texas

• 176. Dorian Thompson-Robinson QB UCLA

• 212. Atonio Mafi OG UCLA

• 244. Anfernee Orji LB Vanderbilt

With this slight change, your mock draft would be lights out!
So whos starting at guard? Our #1 need?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So whos starting at guard? Our #1 need?
Depends on who starts at Left Tackle. If Tyron goes back to starting at his old Left Tackle position, Tyler Smith will start at Left Guard.

I believe this is the way the Cowboys will choose for their front 5 as starters...(from Left to Right):

Tyron Smith
Tyler Smith
Tyler Biadasz
Zack Martin
Terence Steele

Matt Farniok is the backup at Left Guard (and Center if needed).

Newly signed Chuma Edoga is the backup at Right Guard.

Matt Waletzko is the backup at Left Tackle.

Josh Ball is the backup at Right Tackle.

Brock Hoffman is the backup at Center.

If the Cowboys draft another Olineman, it will probably be in the mid-to-late rounds for someone who can play both Center and Guard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Depends on who starts at Left Tackle. If Tyron goes back to starting at his old Left Tackle position, Tyler Smith will start at Left Guard.

I believe this is the way the Cowboys will choose for their front 5 as starters...(from Left to Right):

Tyron Smith
Tyler Smith
Tyler Biadasz
Zack Martin
Terence Steele

Matt Farniok is the backup at Left Guard (and Center if needed).

Newly signed Chuma Edoga is the backup at Right Guard.

Matt Waletzko is the backup at Left Tackle.

Josh Ball is the backup at Right Tackle.

Brock Hoffman is the backup at Center.

If the Cowboys draft another Olineman, it will probably be in the mid-to-late rounds for someone who can play both Center and Guard.
Tyron will be hurt and steel is already hurt. Need a guard. Those 2 tackles make 1 tackle.

Chuma and farniok are backup fodder

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron will be hurt and steel is already hurt. Need a guard. Those 2 tackles make 1 tackle.

Chuma and farniok are backup fodder
LOL. Backup fodder? That's what you said about Connor Williams, yet as soon as he left to the Dolphins and was immediately moved to Center (which I said often he should have been moved for years while he was in Dallas), Connor Williams ended the 2022 season as the NFL's 3rd best rated Center.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tng
LOL. Backup fodder? That's what you said about Connor Williams, yet as soon as he left to the Dolphins and was immediately moved to Center (which I said often he should have been moved for years while he was in Dallas), Connor Williams ended the 2022 season as the NFL's 3rd best rated Center.
Now your remembering incorrectly. Williams was a JAG starter. Farniok was always backup fodder.

I could care less what Connor Williams has done after he left here. Never commented on it. Are you really going to start up this nonsense again?

Try to stay on subject. Who is playing Guard? Farniok and Chung are worse than McGovern. We need an upgrade not a downgrade.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tng

Now your remembering incorrectly. Williams was a JAG starter. Farniok was always backup fodder.

I could care less what Connor Williams has done after he left here. Never commented on it. Are you really going to start up this nonsense again?

Try to stay on subject. Who is playing Guard? Farniok and Chung are worse than McGovern. We need an upgrade not a downgrade.
Farniok was better than McGovern last year. The rushing yards to the left side was definitely better when Farniok was in (before injury) than when McGovern went back in. Look at the tapes and team's individual games statistical results. They prove as much.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Farniok was better than McGovern last year. The rushing yards to the left side was definitely better when Farniok was in (before injury) than when McGovern went back in. Look at the tapes and team's individual games statistical results. They prove as much.
Neither Mcgovern or Farniok is good enough. I think you understand that a great Oline is a priority.

My feeling is the Cowboys need a plug and play guard in the first two rounds just to have any shot of doing something great this year. The line last year was not close to good enough.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Neither Mcgovern or Farniok is good enough. I think you understand that a great Oline is a priority.

My feeling is the Cowboys need a plug and play guard in the first two rounds just to have any shot of doing something great this year. The line last year was not close to good enough.
Agreed the Oline was not close to good enough, but I believe strongly with better Oline coaching, this Oline could become much better. You don't need top round draft picks to create a very good Oline. History has proven that. Get a darn good Oline coach and save your top draft picks for game changing playmakers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed the Oline was not close to good enough, but I believe strongly with better Oline coaching, this Oline could become much better. You don't need top round draft picks to create a very good Oline. History has proven that. Get a darn good Oline coach and save your top draft picks for game changing playmakers.
So the coach is the problem? Odd angle, but whatever. Cowboys Oline picks outside the first have been spotty at best if not aweful. Biadasz is really the only hit and I wouldnt call him a true stud at this point.

With Tyron gone after this season and Steele and Biadasz FA's, we need to keep these big boys rolling in.

26 is a great spot to get a top guard. I think were set up nicely for our biggest need.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So the coach is the problem? Odd angle, but whatever. Cowboys Oline picks outside the first have been spotty at best if not aweful. Biadasz is really the only hit and I wouldnt call him a true stud at this point.

With Tyron gone after this season and Steele and Biadasz FA's, we need to keep these big boys rolling in.

26 is a great spot to get a top guard. I think were set up nicely for our biggest need.
That's just it. It's hard for anyone who never played on an Oline, much less starred at it, to understand what I'm trying to say. Coaching most definitely is the biggest problem. The 90s SB Cowboys proved that as have so many other teams, including last season's Eagles who only have 1 1st round picked Olineman, yet their Oline finished ranked #1 in the NFL overall.

You don't understand because you don't have the experience. It's understandable. I don't blame you. Trust me, Coaching is a huge difference maker.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I've seen Avila's tapes. He's very stiff, limited agility, plays upright too much, etc. Here are some cons about him:

*Can occasionally struggle with explosive defenders who are capable of quickly attacking his edge.

*10-yard split was well below the preferred 1.75 that you’d like to see out of an interior linemen.

*Would prefer him to have more nastiness to his game. It’s a sight to behold when he wants to be a mean blocker.

*Not the most naturally-fluid mover when working laterally.

*Not as scheme-versatile as some of the other linemen in the class and is probably better suited for a gap scheme that will allow him to impose his massive frame and strength on the opposition.

*His lateral quickness, or lack thereof, makes it hard for him to recover when he’s not the initial aggressor.

*Needs to play with proper pad level at the point of attack more consistently or he will be exposed at the next level.

*Must improve his ability to sustain blocks after initial contact is made.

In other words, he's the opposite of Tyler Smith. Matt Farniok (6th rounder) is much better at all the cons Avila has. Plus, Farniok is young, has 2 years of experience at both Left Guard and Center, and he's a legit threat this training camp to start if needed.

Get the young stud DT who is excellent in run stopping (which we direly need) and can even pressure the QB at times. Gervon Dexter Sr would contribute right away this year. Avila not so much due to the competition and experience at Left Guard and Center.
:hammer:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's just it. It's hard for anyone who never played on an Oline, much less starred at it, to understand what I'm trying to say. Coaching most definitely is the biggest problem. The 90s SB Cowboys proved that as have so many other teams, including last season's Eagles who only have 1 1st round picked Olineman, yet their Oline finished ranked #1 in the NFL overall.

You don't understand because you don't have the experience. It's understandable. I don't blame you. Trust me, Coaching is a huge difference maker.
Dont even start with that Oline play nonsense. I wasnt buying it before and Im not buying it now.

My history of calling lineman speaks for itself.

Martin and Tyron have been great no matter who the coach. Ball will suck no matter who the coach is. Its not rocket science.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dont even start with that Oline play nonsense. I wasnt buying it before and Im not buying it now.

My history of calling lineman speaks for itself.

Martin and Tyron have been great no matter who the coach. Ball will suck no matter who the coach is. Its not rocket science.
You History of calling lineman hasn't been great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You History of calling lineman hasn't been great.

You've lost every argument we ever had on here with centers. 3 years running. All capped off by Biadasz making the pro bowl this year.

I loved the Tyler pick. Ball sucks, ect....ect......

My history is spot on. Hell I even suggested that Tyron or Steele should be the swing tackle this year a month before Jerry suggested it.

But if your going to start with the lies, lets move on.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You've lost every argument we ever had on here with centers. 3 years running. All capped off by Biadasz making the pro bowl this year.

I loved the Tyler pick. Ball sucks, ect....ect......

My history is spot on. Hell I even suggested that Tyron or Steele should be the swing tackle this year a month before Jerry suggested it.

But if your going to start with the lies, lets move on.
Really? Out of all 3 Centers (Biadasz, McGovern and Williams) we debated about, Williams has turned out to be the best so far. And who argued in support for Connor Williams? Definitely not you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Really? Out of all 3 Centers (Biadasz, McGovern and Williams) we debated about, Williams has turned out to be the best so far. And who argued in support for Connor Williams? Definitely not you.
Look, your lying and you know it. I will put you on ignore if you continue to lie.

Only thing we ever said about Williams at center was you predicted he would beat out Biadasz at center. He didnt, you were wrong. I told you Williams was the weak link and wouldnt be resigned. I was right, case closed.

You said Farniok would beat out Biadasz 2 years in a row and he never did. Tik Tok Tik Tok? Remember that? LOL

You lost every argument about lineman we ever had.

Your claim about Williams at center after he left here had nothing to do with me.

You lost and you lost badly for years. Game, Set, Match

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Look, your lying and you know it. I will put you on ignore if you continue to lie.

Only thing we ever said about Williams at center was you predicted he would beat out Biadasz at center. He didnt, you were wrong. I told you Williams was the weak link and wouldnt be resigned. I was right, case closed.

You said Farniok would beat out Biadasz 2 years in a row and he never did. Tik Tok Tik Tok? Remember that? LOL

Your claim about Williams at center after he left here had nothing to do with me.

Lmao that’s funny coming from you. The king of the straw man argument.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Grow and man up. You got proven wrong, albeit thanks to the Dolphins. Joe Philbin's bad Oline decisions cost the team badly in recent years, and that's why he was fired shortly after this past season ended. Connor Williams ended up as the 3rd best Center in the NFL for 2022, and that's because he had never played Center before. I was absolutely right about how Connor Williams could become a better Center than we currently have, and statistically he proved me correct. That's not to take away anything from Tyler Biadasz, because he certainly improved much this past season, but had Connor Williams been given a chance to play Center in Dallas, he would be our starting Center right now...and you know it. You're just not man enough to admit it, but it's to be expected from you. No biggie. I feel the same way about Farniok. The few games he started at Left Guard in when McGovern got injured early in the season for several games, the Cowboys were able to run to the left side much better. As soon as Philbin pushed McGovern back in for Farniok, the run game was not as effective to that side. I'm sorry if I understand Oline much better than you.

Aven8

Reaction score
If we make it through 25 picks and we trade back on Thursday I’m gonna snap