Video: My goodness on re-watch Ferguson's blocking was phenomenal

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This front office sucks at self scouting. I mean what was the urgency to keep a te with average athleticism and poor blocking. I feel like that player can be had anywhere

Schultz was sixth in receiving yards by a tight end last year, so only five were better than him in that category. He had 78 receptions, which was third among tight ends. So no, that player can't be had anywhere.

We certainly had no idea if we were going to find that player using late-round draft picks and cheap free agents, so franchise tagging Schultz was the way to go. Just because it looks like we might have a couple of players who can replace him doesn't change that. That's good scouting and good fortune. (Ferguson likely would not have been the TE we took if a couple others had been available and Hendershot was only available because of the character issue.)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't play TE for Wisconsin if you can't block. They play old school football.
Of course the same would normally be said about Stanford (Schultz's school)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz was sixth in receiving yards by a tight end last year, so only five were better than him in that category. He had 78 receptions, which was third among tight ends. So no, that player can't be had anywhere.

We certainly had no idea if we were going to find that player using late-round draft picks and cheap free agents, so franchise tagging Schultz was the way to go. Just because it looks like we might have a couple of players who can replace him doesn't change that. That's good scouting and good fortune. (Ferguson likely would not have been the TE we took if a couple others had been available and Hendershot was only available because of the character issue.)
He was also 4th among TE's in TD's last year. Like you say, Schultz isn't as easily replaceable as some like to think.

That said, Schultz' is only under a 1 year franchise deal, would be expensive to re-sign, and we have a full season to see how Ferguson and Hendershot develop. Should be interesting to watch.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was also 4th among TE's in TD's last year. Like you say, Schultz isn't as easily replaceable as some like to think.

That said, Schultz' is only under a 1 year franchise deal, would be expensive to re-sign, and we have a full season to see how Ferguson and Hendershot develop. Should be interesting to watch.

I think this is why Dallas wasn't in a rush to get a deal done with Schultz and didn't give in to what he was seeking in a long-term offer. Well, I also think it had to do with wanting him to prove that he could do better as a blocker, but there was no reason to rush into something.

Reactions: BAT

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You got yourself an agenda there. Very surprising. West Coast/Stanford fan?>

Good TE's are not THAT hard to get...sheesh.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got yourself an agenda there. Very surprising. West Coast/Stanford fan?>

Good TE's are not THAT hard to get...sheesh.
Your comment really makes no sense at all given that I specifically said the team has a year to see how other TE's develop and that Shultz would be expensive, thereby clearly indicating the possibility that it could be deemed acceptable to go another direction from Schultz next year.

That said, there were 28 teams who's TE had fewer TDs last year than Schultz, and 26 that had fewer yards, so it's pretty off base to act like his production is routine among TE's in the NFL. Clearly he's not elite like Kelce and Andrews - those guys are notably better than Schultz or almost anyone else at their position. But Schultz certainly produced at a higher level than the average NFL TE.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Your comment really makes no sense at all given that I specifically said the team has a year to see how other TE's develop and that Shultz would be expensive, thereby clearly indicating the possibility that it could be deemed acceptable to go another direction from Schultz next year.

That said, there were 28 teams who's TE had fewer TDs last year than Schultz, and 26 that had fewer yards, so it's pretty off base to act like his production is routine among TE's in the NFL. Clearly he's not elite like Kelce and Andrews - those guys are notably better than Schultz or almost anyone else at their position. But Schultz certainly produced at a higher level than the average NFL TE.
Schultz also costed this team points and touchdowns because of his inability to even get in front of someone. There was one play in the playoff game in particular where he whiffed completely on a crucial play.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Okay...Sorry. I am not sure what you are trying to say then.

To answer your question....what tight ends could have the same production given the same targeting? Only the top 2 elites? I doubt it. The TE is one of Dak's favorites. a Slow moving vertical mid range field large target....is easy for Dak to hit. It's not Dalton....he just happens to be there.

Just my humble opinion only of course.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score

Manster68

Reaction score
What I learned about Ferguson, when he was first drafted, was that he was very efficient in moving the chains. Most of his catches resulted in first downs. So thrilled that his blocking has been stellar.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay...Sorry. I am not sure what you are trying to say then.

To answer your question....what tight ends could have the same production given the same targeting? Only the top 2 elites? I doubt it. The TE is one of Dak's favorites. a Slow moving vertical mid range field large target....is easy for Dak to hit. It's not Dalton....he just happens to be there.

Just my humble opinion only of course.
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was saying he isn't as easy to replace as some think (which isn't the same as saying he can't be replaced), but the other TE's are going to have a season to make a case for why they should be considered for the role.

It seems you are saying Dak only used Schultz because he doesn't want to target WR's who are faster moving targets. Facts don't back that up though. Last year Dak targeted Lamb more than Schultz and Cooper the same amount of time despite Cooper sitting out 2 more games than Schultz. In all, 104 targets went to Schultz and 388 targets went to WRs.

As for what other TE's would do with as many targets, Ertz and Geiske both had more targets and less yardage and fewer TD's Pitts had more targets and had more yards, but 7 fewer TDs. In any case, you could also ask how much more Schultz could have done with more targets. That argument goes both ways.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was saying he isn't as easy to replace as some think (which isn't the same as saying he can't be replaced), but the other TE's are going to have a season to make a case for why they should be considered for the role.

It seems you are saying Dak only used Schultz because he doesn't want to target WR's who are faster moving targets. Facts don't back that up though. Last year Dak targeted Lamb more than Schultz and Cooper the same amount of time despite Cooper sitting out 2 more games than Schultz. In all, 104 targets went to Schultz and 388 targets went to WRs.

As for what other TE's would do with as many targets, Ertz and Geiske both had more targets and less yardage and fewer TD's Pitts had more targets and had more yards, but 7 fewer TDs. In any case, you could also ask how much more Schultz could have done with more targets. That argument goes both ways.
Okay...cool. All arguments do go both ways. Sometimes more ways than two.

I happen to think the TE route straight up the middle is a better throw for Dak. It's actually a better throw for a lot of QBs. But....I'm no expert.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay...cool. All arguments do go both ways. Sometimes more ways than two.

I happen to think the TE route straight up the middle is a better throw for Dak. It's actually a better throw for a lot of QBs. But....I'm no expert.
Certainly it's true passes to TE's are generally higher percentage passes for QB's. They can be a great security blanket for a QB. There are a few, like Kelce & Andrews (Kittle and Waller when healthy) that stretch the field similar to a WR. Schultz has some ability to get downfield, but he certainly isn't in that class.

I would call him a strong, above average TE. In short, not just a simple matter to replace him, but not undoable either. That's why I say the current backups have a chance to show over this season at least enough to convince the team they are worth keeping in that role rather than pay the price tag for Schultz.