Video: My goodness on re-watch Ferguson's blocking was phenomenal

AbeBeta

Reaction score
With Schultz out the Cowboys can run 12 personnel without having to resort to Jumbo or Hulk packages.

This allows Cowboys to not be be so predictable offensively.

And the almost 200 yards on ground does not happen with Schultz in lineup.

Nor does a TE going for 2 catches for 13 yards in three games.

Lookit gramps, I know you probably remember smashmouth offense from the 70s. But in the modern era, you cannot win reliably with sets with 2 blocking TEs.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Nor does a TE going for 2 catches for 13 yards in three games.

Lookit gramps, I know you probably remember smashmouth offense from the 70s. But in the modern era, you cannot win reliably with sets with 2 blocking TEs.

Are you flirting with me?

Sorry, you're just not my type.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Love these two rookie TEs...they play with an edge...there gonna make mistakes but their upside is exciting

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hendershot is a better pass catching and YAC TE.

His weakness is his blocking but last night it looked better.

Ferguson is very good at blocking and good pass catching. Not great YAC. More pro ready blocking against d-lineman and LB’s.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm a Dalton Schultz fan, but I have to admit this blocking looks much better than Schultz.

Schultz is the better receiver right now, but Ferguson is very technically sound as a blocker. Hendershot is hit and miss, more like Schultz, but has a little something as a receiver. We don't need to get carried away about either yet. Schultz actually was a better blocker a couple of years ago, but defenders figured out how to attack him. These guys have new going for them, but new can wear off.

Reactions: BAT

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yeah, he must feel real threatened by Ferguson's offensive explosion - 2 catches for 13 yards in three games. Really taking advantage of the opportunity.

The catches will come. The fact that both Ferguson and Hendershot can actually block and Dalton can’t is what separates them.

Remember how Dalton was an absolute non-factor his rookie year? And how he was not even a sure bet to make the team the next year?

Both Ferguson and Hendershot are farther along as rookies than Dalton was at this point in their careers.

Schultz wants the big payday but is strictly a pass catcher. I think you’ll see him elsewhere next year

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This front office sucks at self scouting. I mean what was the urgency to keep a te with average athleticism and poor blocking. I feel like that player can be had anywhere

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz is the better receiver right now, but Ferguson is very technically sound as a blocker. Hendershot is hit and miss, more like Schultz, but has a little something as a receiver. We don't need to get carried away about either yet. Schultz actually was a better blocker a couple of years ago, but defenders figured out how to attack him. These guys have new going for them, but new can wear off.
Good points. Still a lot to learn about Ferguson and Hendershot. I noticed Hendershot in some of the same plays as Ferguson, and I saw what you did - a good job blocking on some plays, but didn't look very good on others. So far, with a small sample size, both seem to be pretty solid receivers as well, so it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Reactions: BAT