CFZ My hope in LB DeMarvion Overshown

CampJR

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is questioning the player. I think many of us were hoping for a mauler guard.
The mauler guard should have come in the 2nd, unfortunately. We had Torrance and a few other options I thought we shoulda went. But here’s to hoping Schoon can turn that high RAS score and good blocking skills into something we all love 2-3 years from now.

CampJR

Reaction score
Its not about being a linebacker its about being an off the ball one and overtaking Clarks spot. Dont think its happening. He can be a great nickel linbacker/safety. I dont see him being in much on running downs unless its at safety.
Why is he taking Clark’s spot? Clark is set to take LVE slot with more progressions. LVE is done after this season and this pick was set us for future success with guys with high RAS and speed. Taking mazi is suppose to help clog up the middle and let these guys run.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The mauler guard should have come in the 2nd, unfortunately. We had Torrance and a few other options I thought we shoulda went. But here’s to hoping Schoon can turn that high RAS score and good blocking skills into something we all love 2-3 years from now.
Just throwing this out there.

Either Dallas really likes someone on their roster at guard or maybe there is a tackle in college football somewhere that they think they can get later and kick inside..

Just odd that they have more confidence in guards on the roster than they do Ferguson and Hendershot to pass on Torrence.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you watched the ESPN broadcast you know what I'm talking about. After Louis Riddick went on and on about how good Overshown is and how he's the most underrated player in the class they asked the panel what stood out tonight and Riddick goes right back to Overshown to Dallas. With Micah Parsons and DeMarvion Overshown on the field keep your head on a swivel when you're playing the Cowboys.

I mean, he could be wrong. He mentioned on Day 1 when they were linking Mayer to Dallas that he didn't believe in Jason Witten. He didn't see how he could get open in the NFL. Now that was obviously wrong but let's be honest, we watched Witten his entire HOF career and we can't explain how he got open either.

Riddick has a personnel background. He's not just a talking head. I'm hanging on to his evaluation to give me some hope in the pick because to me it seems like we just drafted him to appease Jerry's grandchild.

My hope is in Louis Riddick.

It's all I got after that Day 2.
Those questioning this pick are in for a big surprise. He will be a beast. Custom built for DQ's defense.
Dan Quinn loves LB/Safety tweeners.

Kearse (6-3, 227) was just a cheap free agent when signed but Quinn made him into a quality player.

Overshown (6-3, 230) was originally a Safety at UT and then moved to LB.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It’s not the 90’s anymore, LB’s don’t need to be 240. LB’s need to be able to run and cover, which Overshown specializes at.

Combine weights of some of the best LB’s in the NFL
Lavonte David- 233
Demario Davis- 235
Shaq Leaonard- 234
Eric Kendricks- 232
Devondre Campbell- 232
Shaq Thompson- 228
Matt Milano- 223
Patrick Queen- 229
TJ Edwards- 230
Nick Bolton- 232
CJ Mosley- 234

Demarvion Overshown- 229

And he has another 3 months in an NFL program to add another 3-4 pounds of muscle. His weight isn’t an issue.
Yes his weight is an issue. It doesn't mean it can't be overcome of course. He is lighter than Jabril Cox even. There are also many LBs who didn't succeed because they were too light. Listed some who did only matters if he has their overall talent

CampJR

Reaction score
Yes his weight is an issue. It doesn't mean it can't be overcome of course. He is lighter than Jabril Cox even
Lol how is his weight an issue but it’s not for these great LB’s?

Guys the days of 3-255LB linebackers is done…

Damone currently plays at 245+ and could add a few pounds if needed to take on early down run stuffer

75boyz

Reaction score
Same. I saw him rave about him, but I have my serious doubts. I just don't see him getting game time at all. I think he may take over from kearse next year tbh

Also as a heads up, I won't listen to any poster here that says hook em, because , 1, it's the most embarrassing thing in global sports and 2, they think every Texas player is going to be great, when in reality they're mainly turds,
Love it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
At times yes we were better but early on in the season we sucked against the run. Seems like with the acquisition of Hanskins and LVE getting better as the season went on contributed to it.
Anyone notice how Mike was talking about how we got 6 new players? And talked about Hankins, Cooks, and Gilmore in order to point out that 2 of our FAs were also defensive players.

Mike just doesn't seem like the best HC to me..or he'd understand both sides of the ball?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Lol how is his weight an issue but it’s not for these great LB’s?

Guys the days of 3-255LB linebackers is done…

Damone currently plays at 245+ and could add a few pounds if needed to take on early down run stuffer
Is it an issue if a WR or RB isn't really really fast? Does that mean no WR or RB without great speed has ever been good? Is it an issue if a QB has no mobility at all? Does that mean no QB who has no mobility has ever been good? Every player has pluses and minuses and being that weight is a minus. AGAIN, doesn't mean it can't be overcome. You are ignoring a negative by pointing out others who have overcome it. Not sure how else I can explain it to you if you don't understand that. You think he will be as stout at the point of attack and shedding NFL Lineman as a bigger LB?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
If you watched the ESPN broadcast you know what I'm talking about. After Louis Riddick went on and on about how good Overshown is and how he's the most underrated player in the class they asked the panel what stood out tonight and Riddick goes right back to Overshown to Dallas. With Micah Parsons and DeMarvion Overshown on the field keep your head on a swivel when you're playing the Cowboys.

I mean, he could be wrong. He mentioned on Day 1 when they were linking Mayer to Dallas that he didn't believe in Jason Witten. He didn't see how he could get open in the NFL. Now that was obviously wrong but let's be honest, we watched Witten his entire HOF career and we can't explain how he got open either.

Riddick has a personnel background. He's not just a talking head. I'm hanging on to his evaluation to give me some hope in the pick because to me it seems like we just drafted him to appease Jerry's grandchild.

Can we call 2023 the Micah Draft..

Aven8

Reaction score

I read that DQ plans to put him at Will LB for now

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t even have a problem with the player I just don’t get what football sense it makes to draft a 25 year old tight end on the second round. Maybe he’s ready to play now though it’s rare for tight ends to do that.
Thing is is I think Ferguson will be out best TE anyways so never really wanted a TE pick in the first place. Hopefully it wasn't a wasted pick

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone notice how Mike was talking about how we got 6 new players? And talked about Hankins, Cooks, and Gilmore in order to point out that 2 of our FAs were also defensive players.

Mike just doesn't seem like the best HC to me..or he'd understand both sides of the ball?
I mean it’s quite clear he’s the coach of the offense and Dan is the coach of the defense. Probably a respect thing.

Even Micah when you hear him talk it’s as if Quinn is his head coach.

Momanpr100

Reaction score

Because we traded for Gillmore and Cooks. I noticed it too

Robster8989

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there.

Either Dallas really likes someone on their roster at guard or maybe there is a tackle in college football somewhere that they think they can get later and kick inside..

Just odd that they have more confidence in guards on the roster than they do Ferguson and Hendershot to pass on Torrence.
Good point.
I have wanted a mauler/road grader like Torrence for years, and I loved the idea of pairing him on the left side next to Tyler Smith for years to come.
I am also unsure of what they are thinking at Guard.
I hope it's not that they feel they can depend on Tyron staying healthy. I just don't see that.
Edoga is a nice guy to be able to bring in off the bench, sub for multiple positions (like a Jason Peters replacement), I just don't see him being a long term solution as a starter.
We have been "out physicalled" by the Niners and Eagles (at times) in recent years, and I loved the idea of adding Mazi andf Torrence in the first 2 rounds. 2 of the biggest, strongest guys out there to beef up our middles.

I know this is an unpopular position on this board, as there is a lot of hate for Dalton Schultz for some reason, but I always felt he was a solid performer. Not elite like a Kelce/Andrews, but above average. I liked our TE room a lot last year.
The deal he signed with Houston was not a 1 year, 9 mil deal like was reported.
It was actually a 6.25 mil one year deal for Schultz.
They got creative with it.
His cap number this coming season is just 2.8 mil, not the 9 mil people assume.
He will cost them some dead cap down the road, but a very managable number.
Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, but I would have preferred keeping Schultz another year or 2 on a reasonable deal and not having to go TE in the draft. Bolster those lines with Mazi and Torrence, add a running back to platoon with Pollard (which would also free Pollard to be used more as a playmaker all over the field).

I don't mind the Overshown pick, he is a dynamic player, very much a DQ guy, it just means we are depending 100% on LVE as the Mike, and I have oftentimes felt that he is not a true Mike. I wanted Wagner for this roll honestly. He is a True 3 down Mike, who attacks the LOS. I just see LVE making so many of his tackles well past the LOS, and I worry about his health. I do think having Mazi and Hankins will help however.
The Overshown pick also means we are less certain about Cox and Clark IMO, 2 guys the DC media guys have been trying to build up so much. I do see Overshown as a hybrid guy, like a Kearse who they may have rush the passer at times, but mostly off the LOS.
I was so surprised that Torrence was still there at 58, he was top 30 on most boards, at a position of need IMO, so I'm a little bummed we didn't grab him.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Is it an issue if a WR or RB isn't really really fast? Does that mean no WR or RB without great speed has ever been good? Is it an issue if a QB has no mobility at all? Does that mean no QB who has no mobility has ever been good? Every player has pluses and minuses and being that weight is a minus. AGAIN, doesn't mean it can't be overcome. You are ignoring a negative by pointing out others who have overcome it. Not sure how else I can explain it to you if you don't understand that. You think he will be as stout at the point of attack and shedding NFL Lineman as a bigger LB?
It helps when you are an elite athlete which Overshown is. He also plays a physical brand of football. It will also help to have a 330 lb DT to help keep you clean. I can see it. The TE pick still a head scratcher for me.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It helps when you are an elite athlete which Overshown is. He also plays a physical brand of football. It will also help to have a 330 lb DT to help keep you clean. I can see it. The TE pick still a head scratcher for me.
Absolutely, I agree with this. And those are great examples of how a potential minus can be overcome and may not end up an issue. My point was in a vacuum being a little lighter is a negative and how in reality (like with some of the guys mentioned) it may not necessarily be one

quickccc

Reaction score
I think most understand the 3rd rounder. That 2nd though!!!!!
I'm more confident in the TE Luke Schoonmaker than Overshown.

Luke Schoonmaker seems NFL ready whereas Overshown will have to physically " grow " into the position and role Quinn has planned for him.
Seems like he's gonna to be a " speciialist " role for the time being.

And after drafting Jabril Cox - I've learned to curb my enthusiasm.

Scoon could very well start from Day one , if not eventually during the season.